Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
When it's Not charging?
Honestly not sure. I swear I’ve heard coolant moving randomly when I went in the garage and it was done charging. That’s said I got it late October and haven’t had it when it’s summer hot.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Honestly not sure. I swear I’ve heard coolant moving randomly when I went in the garage and it was done charging. That’s said I got it late October and haven’t had it when it’s summer hot.
It definitely does during charging but I bet it doesn't other times. The relays will clickity clack randomly though.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It definitely does during charging but I bet it doesn't other times. The relays will clickity clack randomly though.
This is related to heating, not cooling, but I thought this charge session yesterday was interesting. I was charging to 100% at a 6kW charger at work. It maintained 6kW up to 99% and then started tapering the charge rate as expected. After about 2 hours of tapering, the car hit 100% and I got a push notification from FordPass saying the car was fully charged. As soon as that happened, the draw from the charger shot back up to almost 6kW and the banner in FordPass said "Preparing for drive". That message was misleading because I had no departure schedules set. I assume the car decided to heat the battery after charging just because it was cold (5F) outside.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford's Guide to EV High-Voltage Battery Performance 1643294800421

chris e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
BuT wHy Is My RaNgE 200 wHeN fOrD sAyS iT sHoUlD bE 270?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ClAsS aCtIoN tImE! ?
I’m also very frustrated . When I bought the car in July , the extended range battery got +330 miles . Now it get far less than 200 miles just because it’s cold. We also have a basic Tesla model 3 and it does not have cold battery issues nearly this significant … and right now it gets more miles than the mache extended range battery .

mikenindorf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
our garage is 50 degrees, yet the range estimator is done 25% or more. I have reset the driving history.
they say to precondition, but do not give a button for that on the app. As i leave different times every day, or not at all...
Some have state that starting the car is the same as preconditioning the battery. Is that true or false?
If true, how long to we need to let it run for?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I’m also very frustrated . When I bought the car in July , the extended range battery got +330 miles . Now it get far less than 200 miles just because it’s cold. We also have a basic Tesla model 3 and it does not have cold battery issues nearly this significant … and right now it gets more miles than the mache extended range battery .
Have you compared the actual physical range of the two cars? Or are you just comparing what the guess-o-meters say? All lithium ion batteries lose capacity at low temperatures, the difference you are seeing might be more about how the companies calculate range than about the actual battery.

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
From the pdf:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford's Guide to EV High-Voltage Battery Performance 1643294800421

Page 7.

Of course I could be misreading your statement?
When we charge ours to 90%, I have been surprised to see an estimated mileage over 300.

Paddy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lincoln PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those new to BEVs, here's a useful resource from Ford.
FYI from EV battery cold weather operation in Norway, the European country with the highest EV ownership.

You may think that people who live in colder climes would steer clear of EVs, but that’s not the case. Norway, among other northern European nations, has seen record EV registrations in recent years. And who better to confirm how much cold weather can reduce range?

The Norwegian Automobile Federation (NAF) recently undertook what must be the biggest winter EV range test to date, and discovered just how much range was reduced on a journey from Oslo to Hafjell. They took in a range of driving conditions including cities, motorways and even mountain passes.

CarOfficial WLTP rangeReal-world cold weather range
Nissan Leaf 62kW385km (239 miles)298.7km (185.6 miles)
Renault Zoe380km (236 miles)316.3km (196.5 miles)
Seat Mii Electric258km (160 miles)226.6km (140.8 miles)
Skoda Citigo-e258km (160 miles)220km (136.7 miles)
Tesla Model X507km (315 miles)419.6km (260.7 miles)
Tesla Model 3560km (348 miles)404km (251 miles)
Tesla Model S610km (379 miles)469.8km (291.9 miles)
Volkswagen e-Golf222km (137 miles)198.1km (123 miles)
Volkswagen e-up251km (155 miles)226km (140 miles)
Vauxhall Ampera-e423km (262 miles)296.9km (184.4 miles)
Audi Quattro 50299km (185 miles)259km (160.9 miles)
Jaguar I-PACE436km (270 miles)333.8km (207.4 miles)
Kia e-Niro455km (282 miles)360.3km (223.8 miles)
Kia e-Soul452km (280 miles)352km (218.7 miles)
BMW i3 120Ah310km (193 miles)245.8km (152.7 miles)
Hyundai Ioniq311km (193 miles)279.3km (173.5 miles)
Mercedes-Benz EQC404km (251 miles)307km (190 miles)
Nissan Leaf 40kW270km (167 miles)208.9km (129.8 miles)
Audi Quattro 50299km (185 miles)259km (160 miles)
Audi Quattro 55398km (247 miles)341km (211.8 miles)
The idea was to run the EVs until the battery was completely empty. On average range dropped by around 20%.

Paddy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lincoln PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those new to BEVs, here's a useful resource from Ford.
From the EPA website, gee I wonder what Ford was copying.
Fuel Economy in Cold Weather
iStock_000033250404_470w.jpg

Cold weather and winter driving conditions can reduce your fuel economy significantly.

Fuel economy tests show that, in city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is roughly 15% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 24% for short (3- to 4-mile) trips.

The effect on hybrids is typically greater. Their fuel economy can drop about 30% to 34% under these conditions.

For electric vehicles (EVs), fuel economy can drop roughly 39% in mixed city and highway driving, and range can drop by 41%. About two-thirds of the extra energy consumed is used to heat the cabin.

more…

Why is winter fuel economy lower?
Cold weather affects your vehicle in more ways than you might expect:

• Engine and transmission friction increases in cold temperatures due to cold engine oil and other drive-line fluids.
  • It takes longer for your engine to reach its most fuel-efficient temperature. This affects shorter trips more, since your car spends more of your trip at less-than-optimal temperatures.
  • Heated seats, window defrosters, and heater fans use additional power.
  • Warming up your vehicle before you start your trip lowers your fuel economy—idling gets 0 miles per gallon.
  • Colder air is denser, increasing aerodynamic drag on your vehicle, especially at highway speeds.
  • Tire pressure decreases in colder temperatures, increasing rolling resistance.
  • Winter grades of gasoline can have slightly less energy per gallon than summer blends.
  • Battery performance decreases in cold weather, making it harder for your alternator to keep your battery charged. This also affects the performance of the regenerative braking system on hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles.
In severe winter weather, your mpg can drop even further.

• Icy or snow-covered roads decrease your tires' grip on the road, wasting energy.
  • Safe driving speeds on slick roads can be much lower than normal, further reducing fuel economy, especially at speeds below 30 to 40 mph.
  • Using four-wheel drive uses more fuel.
What can I do to improve my fuel economy in cold weather?
You may not be able to completely mitigate cold weather's effect on your fuel economy, but you can do some simple things to help your gas mileage:

iStock_000000707421_470w.jpg

• Park your car in a warmer place, such as your garage, to increase the initial temperature of your engine and cabin.
  • Combine trips when possible so that you drive less often with a cold engine.
  • Minimize idling your car to warm it up. Most manufacturers recommend driving off gently after about 30 seconds. The engine will warm up faster being driven, which will allow the heat to turn on sooner, decrease your fuel costs, and reduce emissions.
  • Don't use seat warmers or defrosters more than necessary.
  • Check your tire pressure regularly.
  • Use the type of oil recommended by your manufacturer for cold weather driving.
  • Remove accessories that increase wind resistance, like roof racks, when not in use.
  • If you drive a plug-in hybrid or electric vehicle, preheating the cabin while plugged into the charger can extend your vehicle's range.
  • If you drive a plug-in hybrid or electric vehicle, using the seat warmers instead of the cabin heater can save energy and extend range.