FP 5.0 worked fine until it stranded me at an EA charger …

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
The code works. That’s not the issue. The car doesn’t present any avenue for entering said code, occasionally, when it’s feeling mischievous.
When this happened to me, I never found a way to get the existing code to work. I ended up having to set it up all over again. This has happened a couple of times in 2 years and my guess is it's a software update in the car that messing it up. That's why I now check regularly to make sure the main screen still asks for a passcode... just so I won't get caught without the ability to enter it.

BDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
I had this happen to me the other day. I dropped my wife at the store and then realized she had the FOB (forgot mine). At least the car tells you that the FOB just wandered off, but instead of finding parking, running in the store to grab the FOB, I decided it would be fine. Either PaaK would work, or I would use the code. Nope. PaaK failed (fine, it rarely works, though it seems like if the phone is physically connected via cable to the car it could at least work), but it was impossible to get the code prompt to show. Ten minutes of turning the car on and off, toggling BT, toggling the phone, starting with and without break pedal, etc PaaK finally decided to work. This is really annoying, and could easily be solved by adding a button to bring up the code. It could even be hidden in the settings somewhere. Yes, I know, I should bring my FOB, and I won't make this mistake again, but the point of having entry and start codes is peace of mind. When the backup systems fail for what appears to be no reason (the internal code entry display logic is busted), then it doesn't really leave me feeling confident.

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
I've heard that with PaaK, if you can get into the car, but no screen to start the car, you have to press the brake pedal three times. Apparently, post that, you are then presented with the window to enter the code to start the car...

BDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
I've heard that with PaaK, if you can get into the car, but no screen to start the car, you have to press the brake pedal three times. Apparently, post that, you are then presented with the window to enter the code to start the car...
Yeah, and you have to start without the break pedal, then try to start again, etc. There are a lot of steps people have taken and then eventually the code entry screen appears. As far I can tell it seems to be random when the screen appears, and people just associated their last actions with the screen appearing. Which is why a button to show it would be super helpful.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have only had a PaaK failure once. It was because a Ford tech support person insisted emphatically “just do it!” when I told them multiple times that my keys were at home and that I was at work. Then he hung up on me when he told me to set up PaaK again and I asked how I can do that without a physical key. No other PaaK failures. 🤷‍♂️🐩

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Didn’t work.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
When this happened to me, I never found a way to get the existing code to work. I ended up having to set it up all over again. This has happened a couple of times in 2 years and my guess is it's a software update in the car that messing it up. That's why I now check regularly to make sure the main screen still asks for a passcode... just so I won't get caught without the ability to enter it.
The only problem with that testing theory is that it will work just fine, … , until it doesn’t, and that happens when you’re not testing it, just trying to start it.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I’m guessing that this was an issue with PaaK that was likely a BT communication issue. A reset of the BT connection (getting out of range and reestablishing connection, cycling BT on the phone, phone reset, etc.) usually fixes that. 🤔🐩
Yeah, in retrospect, it seems like it was the phone not communicating with the car locally. The buttons for locking, unlocking, windows open and even the start (fan) worked, which I guess was over cell network. As a side note - the start button locks out after a few activations.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Headed home and had to make one more charge stop - didn’t really have a choice. Everything worked fine this time. The only problem was the Lightning who couldn’t bother to pull straight into the parking spot and partially blocked the only other open spot. I squeezed it in but never got so much as a “Oh, sorry. There wasn’t anybody here when I pulled in.”

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
How many scares like this will it take before people just hide a fob in the car? There's something to be said for not ever having to worry about it.
I've been scared of PAAK ever since I first bought my car, so I hid a FOB in my pocket...

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
This is really annoying, and could easily be solved by adding a button to bring up the code.
It should be even easier than that. I keep trying to imagine what kind of redundant, convoluted software programming could possibly produce a result where the necessary input screen sometimes does, and sometimes does not, appear. The software people really had to go out of their way to produce this error in the first place. There should be no button, no need for a button, and no use for a button.
Sponsored