Front Power Take-Off Unit Failure

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
On Sunday, I drove ~350miles home from a mini-vacation. As I came into town, rolling to a stop light I got a sudden and violent clunk and grinding that came from somewhere up front. Fortunately I was off the highway and easily able to pull into a local park. We also noticed a smell in the cabin (smelled like power steering fluid). Drove slowly around the park trying to scope the issue without luck. Had a very good response from Ford and a quick and knowledgeable tow driver.

Diagnosis from dealer was the Front Power Take-off Unit failure. Googling didn't help me clarify what this actually is. Maybe the dealer described it wrong. Any thoughts, is this basically a gearbox?

Any concern long term, or just one of thus unlucky one-offs? I have a pre-order in for a 2nd EV, and the wife is getting a bit nervous.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
On Sunday, I drove ~350miles home from a mini-vacation. As I came into town, rolling to a stop light I got a sudden and violent clunk and grinding that came from somewhere up front. Fortunately I was off the highway and easily able to pull into a local park. We also noticed a smell in the cabin (smelled like power steering fluid). Drove slowly around the park trying to scope the issue without luck. Had a very good response from Ford and a quick and knowledgeable tow driver.

Diagnosis from dealer was the Front Power Take-off Unit failure. Googling didn't help me clarify what this actually is. Maybe the dealer described it wrong. Any thoughts, is this basically a gearbox?

Any concern long term, or just one of thus unlucky one-offs? I have a pre-order in for a 2nd EV, and the wife is getting a bit nervous.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Mach-E concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
What kind of Mach-E do you have? There is no PTO, just an integrated motor/gearbox unit.

OP
OP

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
What kind of Mach-E do you have? There is no PTO, just an integrated motor/gearbox unit.
2021 Premium EX AWD, 30k miles. Not surprised the service advisor either didn't know exactly or dumbed down the description. But I was just happy they diagnosed it on such a short timeline.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
2021 Premium EX AWD, 30k miles. Not surprised the service advisor either didn't know exactly or dumbed down the description. But I was just happy they diagnosed it on such a short timeline.
If you smell gear oil the case probably busted itself open. A giant hole would be pretty easy to spot, so yeah quick diagnosis lol.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The fluids they used to cool and lube the front power unit is very similar to power steering fluid, so that smell would not surprise me. 😱🐩

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Assuming it's the actual motor let's hope it's not going to be a VW ID4 experience:

PS. Bonus for cat lovers at the end :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
Update to close this out...the note from the service tech says "both front axle seals leaking, as well as fluid leaking from low voltage connector". So they replaced the front motor drive assembly.

I'm satisfied with my dealer's service. Had the car back in 3 weeks. Considering one of those weeks was Thanksgiving, and some parts were backordered it could have been worse. And they got me my 2nd key fob too with no problem!

I was patient for 3 weeks...didn't realize until I drive it today how much I missed my Mach E!
Sponsored