Full charge on battery is less than expected

CorktownCar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I just got my Mach E Select with AWD last week and I have finally had the chance to charge the battery to 100%. The spec for a standard range battery with AWD is 211 miles at 100% charge. I fully understand that real world conditions will dictate the actual number of miles that I will be able to drive, but here is my concern: When I charged the battery to 100% it only showed a range of 184 miles (while still plugged in). That's 27 miles less than the spec. This is a brand new battery and it only charges to less than 90% of the spec range.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is this typical? Is it a software issue?

Screenshot_20210618-183946 - charge complete.png
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I fully understand that real world conditions will dictate the actual number of miles that I will be able to drive
FACT. This is absolutely the case.

Check out the post that the General referenced for lots more info on your vehicle's Guess-o-meter.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Wait until you see it in winter time.

Snowrider69

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition
Country flag
My wife and I just went on our first long trip (350 miles round trip) in her AWD extended range. At 100% charge, it estimated 280. The rating is only 270.

The weather was perfect so we didn't have to use AC. After 175 miles, we used 56% of the battery and had 142 miles estimated remaining, which works out to 312 total miles.

We spent the day and drove only about 10 miles. The following evening, we had about 130 miles estimated. The weather was a bit warmer so we used the AC. After about 100 miles, we still had 44 miles of range and stopped for a charge. Overall, I was impressed with the accuracy of the estimate and the overall range.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Premium AWD ER . 287 miles range at 100% 102f skight tail wind 73 mph freeway speeds.

BTW one thing is the Mache is very accurate at the bottom end. I just hit 3% and 8 miles range with no turtle mode. I plan to take it further down to see where turtle mode starts.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I just got my Mach E Select with AWD last week and I have finally had the chance to charge the battery to 100%. The spec for a standard range battery with AWD is 211 miles at 100% charge. I fully understand that real world conditions will dictate the actual number of miles that I will be able to drive, but here is my concern: When I charged the battery to 100% it only showed a range of 184 miles (while still plugged in). That's 27 miles less than the spec. This is a brand new battery and it only charges to less than 90% of the spec range.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Full charge on battery is less than expected Screenshot_20210618-183946 - charge complete
Also, since you just picked it up, you might want to reset the driving history to zero-out the previous test drive habits. A lot of people here noticed their range meter was closer to “factory” after that, but there are a lot of factors, and the post mentioned here is a much better way to get a good feel for distance.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Full charge on battery is less than expected Screenshot_20210618-183946 - charge complete
This is a new car issue. Vehicle recently put into service will take a bit of driving before it gathers enough data to make meaningful range estimates. I think it took 2 or 3 weeks before my car started to get good at calculating range.

Omar

First Name
OMAR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Full charge on battery is less than expected D9B4B7F4-671B-449A-BE58-8531D60FCACA

I all depends on your driving habits. I getting about 3.4 per kWh.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag

Screenshot_20210618-183946 - charge complete.png
Yep, it's typical - give the car 500-1000 miles of disciplined driving and then see if anything changed. But for first few hundred miles you will have to live in peace with that Guess-O-Meter :)

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Same here - I'm 4,000 miles in, and my car has been steadily projecting higher ranges. I started out around 250, and now I'm at 275+ (AWD ER). My average miles/kWh has also been trending up. Have patience, drive somewhat normally, and you'll see that number trend up each time you charge.

RASH

First Name
Rash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e PremierX
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Full charge on battery is less than expected D9B4B7F4-671B-449A-BE58-8531D60FCACA
I was concerned with the range estimates initially as well. I have the RWD ER which is estimated to get 300 to 305 miles. First charges were well below 300. Two months in, I seem to be getting more than that. The last charge showed 293 miles at just 85%. See attached.

Screenshot_20210615-072326_FordPass.jpg

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Premium Extended RWD here, exactly 8 weeks old to the day today, with 2700 miles on the clock. EPA rated at 300 miles range. My guess-o-meter has never yet once shown 300 miles estimated range. The highest it's ever shown is 286 at 100% charge. But not to worry. I get right around 280-300 miles driving straight through at 76 mph road trips (except with significant headwind), even running the A/C in hot weather. The Ford Guess-o-meter is much slower to adjust to driving habits, and is weighted pessimistically compared to my previous Chevy Volt, which adapted quickly to new habits. Just don't expect the guess-o-meter to be more accurate than your experience has taught you, and you will be fine. It's a bit like knowing you still have 3.5 gallons in the tank when the gas gauge says you are dead empty.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
charged my Premium4x to 300mi, 100% today
first/new initial charging showed less than 270mi

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
We have a Premium AWD ER. Everytime we charge it the estimate goes up. At last charge it was 297 miles estimated. We have driven 300 miles locally and still had 9% charge left. (That is local small town driving with no highway or speeds greater than 55mph.)
Sponsored