Getting a 2021 in two weeks instead of my ordered 2022... good idea?

skovatch

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD X-range
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hi,

I ordered a Rapid Red/Black interior Premium with extended range and RWD in mid-October, and settled in for the wait. Yesterday, however, the dealer I ordered it through said someone had cancelled their order for a Premium in Space White/Gray with otherwise identical specs, and would I like to take it instead?

Given that I don't know when my 2022 will arrive, and that I'm not attached to any color as long as it isn't black, I said I'd take it. It'll be here in 2 weeks!

I haven't seen any major differences in a '21 vs. a '22 -- am I missing out on anything? I'm guessing software upgrades would bring the 2021 up to whatever the 2022 has.

And as an aside, has anyone else been contacted for a deal like this? I get why they would rather sell me something now rather than later, but I hope there's no dealer flimflammery going on.

-- Scott
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The only major difference is in software. We will see OTAs to bring the 2021 s up to the same software levels, but the ‘22s will ship with the newer software for quite a while before we see any ‘21s get it. ??

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
The just announced 2022 price increase, will it affect your order? $3k….

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Is it confirmed that the '21s will get the battery capacity increase by OTA? It is assumed that this is done by just reserving less of the buffer, but I didn't know that anyone had solid confirmation that this is the case and it is coming the the '21s. That would keep me in a '22 order if there was uncertainty on that front.

Otherwise I would be fine with a '21.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It’s not hard-set in stone but Ford officials have hinted at it being an OTA for previous cars. ?‍♂?
Sponsored