OP
OP

bharos92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache Premium
Country flag
I too have had several small chips. My theory is it is most likely caused by a)the aerodynamics of the car and b) the heavy rains here in California causing a lot more potholes/debris in the road.

I was able to repair the first (and largest of the chips) but the others are small enough that they won't bother me or spread.

I have also had more door dings and scratches in this car than any other car I've had. I've been careful to park away from crowds, I use touchless car washes, and have PPF on the front. I love my car, but it almost seems impossible to keep it nice looking.
How did you fix the larger chips ? Did you use any kits or went to a body shop ?
Sponsored

Road2Nowhere

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE - Select
Country flag
How did you fix the larger chips ? Did you use any kits or went to a body shop ?
I took it to a windshield repair shop (actually he runs his shop out of his house). I found him on Yelp. He charged me $70.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I‘ve been driving for 48 years. Before I got my Mach-E I had a grand total of 2 chipped windshields in my life. I had the Mach-E 4 months before it got a chip. Six months later, my wife got one in her CR-V. Then less than a year after that, I got one in my Explorer.

I’ve concluded that there’s just a lot more crap on the roads around here these days.
This is clearly wrong. Everyone knows it's just cheaper/thinner glass on the Mach-E.... #Internets

Perhaps the Mach-E bounced the rocks into your other vehicles?

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I got my Mach-e in 2022 November. I was out of town until Jan, and started using it since then.
In March I got 1 chip from a stone on freeway. I was worried about it and thinking that I should replace the windshield, but then, couple of days back on 2nd April, I got a crack again from a stone probably while driving in a similar fashion.

I have never experienced such a thing before in the previous car for 4 years, and this one got 2 chips in a month!! Anyone facing the same problem that windshield quality is so bad ?? Or am I so unlucky to get 2 chips in a month? Also, wouldany warranty or coverage help with this??

PXL_20230403_184401465.jpeg

PXL_20230403_184404182.jpeg
With tiny chips like that, I would fix it myself. I've used this kit a few times in other cars. If done correctly, it would prevent spread, and make the chip about 90% less visible.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Star-Wi...76949&sprefix=windshield+chip,aps,157&sr=8-23

jgcom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X premium, '21
Occupation
Physics prof.
Country flag
With tiny chips like that, I would fix it myself. I've used this kit a few times in other cars. If done correctly, it would prevent spread, and make the chip about 90% less visible.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Star-Wi...76949&sprefix=windshield+chip,aps,157&sr=8-23
I also use this exact kit, keeping one or two on hand at all times. There are many products for sale on amazon that are more costly or appear to be more sophisticated. This one does what it does very well, for relatively small damage areas with short cracks. (Needless to say, it only works if you follow the directions exactly.)

On some roads, including my daily commuting route, the problem is impossible to avoid, so my goal is to patch these as they occur with this kit, budgeting for a new windshield every 2-3 years.

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT
The Dad in me is really struggling to not say "I thought there was a chips shortage" right here. Because that would be insensitive to getting a windshield crack/chip which we've all gone livid over after hearing that horrific sound of something hitting the windshield.
😂

Oneoone

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e premium
Occupation
Pc tech
Country flag
7 Chips in 2 years!- should be a recall! Had 3 full replacements and a safelight repair so far. The dealer broke 1 and covered it, but so far out of pocket $600 with deductible. Not bad when these are like $900, but afraid my insurance will go up if I turn in another. I currently have 2 repaired and 2 new ones as of Friday :(
Sponsored