Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Totally bummed that the glass roof is required for co-pilot. I sadly figured this out as I was going to pre-order. Now I'm not sure what to do... Glass rooves are less safe, let more heat in, and frankly, I"m looking forward, not up.
According to the forum, the glass roof is both IR and UV resistant. I still don’t want it, but it does a good job at insulation.
Sponsored

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
According to the forum, the glass roof is both IR and UV resistant. I still don’t want it, but it does a good job at insulation.
Agreed. Doesn't let heat in. I too didn't want it but was required with the package. As a driver, I actually don't even notice it. The passengers love it. Doesn't let light in either like a sunroof does, which I always kept cover because of light and heat loss (in the winter).

I am also worried about the headaches of the what-ifs like cracking/breaking. Oh well. It is nice though; Ford did a good job.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yup, I’m in Florida and my DMG GTPE is cooler in direct sunlight than my white Chevy SS with ceramics tint was.

Weight has been covered in other threads but the difference seems to be closer to 30 lbs (based on the weight of the parts).

Safety? Not really sure how to address that one. Even with a steel roof the top half of any car is mostly glass.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
Safety? Not really sure how to address that one. Even with a steel roof the top half of any car is mostly glass.
Yeah, in a rollover you're pretty much going to see the greenhouse deforemed. The displacement is purely up to the vector forces involved. In a severe rollover either roof will pretty much be the same. Obviously, a roll cage would reduce deformation, but it will also hinder passenger compartment ingress/egress and reduce useful cargo capacity. Everything's a trade-off. ?‍♂?

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
Well, I like having something other than glass over my head in a performance car. Especially one that "self-drives". I've fortunately never rolled a car over, but I've seen enough guys do it on a track, and have had some idiot friends do it on the street. The most recent being from a wheel shearing off on a high-G downward turn. For that reason I like having some real sheet metal there. LIkelihood of that happening? Pretty low, but people still get homeowners insurance even though the likelihood of a house burning down is probably lower. I still have little faith in self-driving but would love the feature for stop and go highway travel under 20mph. Not sure if I want it enough to spend close to $3,800 after sales tax...

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Honestly I am in the metal roof camp myself. I was just pointing out that the car was designed to have the glass roof and is likely to be no less safe than any other car with a metal roof.
Sponsored