NSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E rwd
Occupation
business
Country flag
Hi I have Mustang Mach E RWD. Recently I had one incident when the speed limit showing on the speedometer was incorrect than on the road. I was driving as usual observing on speedometer in front of my eyes as it was very dark & rainy day. But husband observed that I am driving over the speed but I showed it’s 30MPH on metre but on the road it was 20. So I got driving offence letter asking me to accept and go for course else will get points on license. What can be done if my car has technical issue with speedometer.
Sponsored

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Hi I have Mustang Mach E RWD. Recently I had one incident when the speed limit showing on the speedometer was incorrect than on the road. I was driving as usual observing on speedometer in front of my eyes as it was very dark & rainy day. But husband observed that I am driving over the speed but I showed it’s 30MPH on metre but on the road it was 20. So I got driving offence letter asking me to accept and go for course else will get points on license. What can be done if my car has technical issue with speedometer.
You the driver (not the car) are ultimately responsible for paying attention, driving according to conditions and following the law of the road. The car is not fully autonomous, and for now these onboard vehicle features are nothing more than driving aids, and they should be treated as such. There is no defense that can be made here in blaming the vehicle for misinterpreting road signs, when you the driver of the vehicle are fully responsible.

OP
OP

NSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E rwd
Occupation
business
Country flag
Thank you for reply. I am fully aware I am in fault. Just wanted to find out if anyone came across any situation like this and how it has been dealt technically

mustangguy64

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
64 Mustang Convertible, 2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I doubt this will be a technical issue with your car. This speed shown on the dashboard is dependant upon the car seeing any relevant speed limit sign. So if the first 20 speed limit sign was obscured by anything, for example a parked van or you overtaking a lorry, then the display would not be updated. I find in my journeys that the opposite tends to happen when a lower speed limit on a side road is spotted.
There are lots of posts on this subject but more relating to how it impacts the speed when using cruise control.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
You don't say whether you had your speed limiter on or not. The car will take the speed limit from maps/GPS in the first instance and then secondly from the traffic sign recognition system. If the reduction from 30 to 20 is a new/temporary limit, then it might not have been updated on the nav maps. If there was a standard speed limit sign saying 20 mph it might have been obscured. There are many situations where you could get a false/inaccurate reading. The only way you will "get off" the ticket if you firmly believe that the speed displayed was incorrect and that you were within the speed limit is to take your car to the dealer and get them to check and write a report. More than likely you were relying too much on the cars' systems and not paying full attention. Unfortunately, the cars' ( in fact ANY cars' )driving aid systems are NOT infallible and as stipulated in the manual, it is the drivers responsibility to remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings. Sorry, but I think you will just have to accept your punishment.