Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
This is only my speculation, but I don't think driving in the heat is the issue here.

I'm unable to park in a shaded area at work. So my vehicle sits in broad sunlight in the middle of a huge asphalt parking lot all day. I think the issue is that the vehicle sun bakes while sitting, off, and it takes zero action to thermally regulate itself during that time.

exactly.....

ambient temp doesn't matter as much as core temp of battery..... if that mass has had time to heat up in a parking lot or hot garage, it's going to take a while to cool down to target operational temp. I'd say 10-20 minutes 'pre-conditioning' before driving would probably do it.

alternatively, if you KNOW you are going to be leaving the car in 100+F for more than a couple hours, you might consider leaving your vehicle 'on', with auto-shutoff disabled, so that the battery will maintain reasonable core temp. To save *some* energy you could leave cabin a/c off, and the car will probably just sip a little to cool the battery as needed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Happened to me on Friday. Took grand daughter to a water park and parked in the direct sun in middle of asphalt lot. Temp on screen said 111* when we got in the car. Car drove fine, AC was cold and everything was normal except not being able to change drive mode. Next morning car was back to normal.

I chalked it up to just being too darn hot