Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Bullitt; 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
Hi everyone. Hoping you can help and I am sorry if this is covered elsewhere / I did a quick search and didn’t find anything.
Anyhow - my MME-GT is here finally and is “dead”. It needs a jump to turn on then needs a jump after every power down.
Can someone let me know if this has happened before and how to remedy?

the dealer believes it needs a new battery
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullitt_&_MME

Bullitt_&_MME

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Bullitt; 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
Based on your reported symptoms, I'd tend to agree with your dealer. Needs a new 12V battery... The little guy in the frunk area.
basically their parts guy said there are no replacement batteries out there. This is a debacle.

Hopefully @Ford Motor Company can get a remedy ASAP.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Could also need the TSB updates for the modules responsible causing the battery drain issue...

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The dealer should be able to test the 12v battery and see if it's not holding a charge. Maybe even charge it outside the vehicle. If it dies after every power down I wonder if it's more the HV to LV charging system and perhaps not the LV battery.

The 12v battery can drain if the vehicle isn't run at least once a week and it will only charge when the vehicle is on and not plugged intro a charger.

As mentioned by @connoisseurr , they should check all the modules for updates. There were several components that were updated that improve the charging of the 12v battery. If the vehicle just came in I would expect it to already have those fixes, but shouldn't assume anything...

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
This certainly sounds like a dead 12V battery. This happens on occasion. I can't believe they can't directly diagnose and/or solve this since it's the same type of 12V lead-acid battery that's in every ICE car. The MME has a smaller overall capacity than a traditional Ford so maybe they don't stock that specific part... but they should be able to test this. And be able to find a replacement easily.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The dealer should be able to test the 12v battery and see if it's not holding a charge. Maybe even charge it outside the vehicle. If it dies after every power down I wonder if it's more the HV to LV charging system and perhaps not the LV battery.

The 12v battery can drain if the vehicle isn't run at least once a week and it will only charge when the vehicle is on and not plugged intro a charger.

As mentioned by @connoisseurr , they should check all the modules for updates. There were several components that were updated that improve the charging of the 12v battery. If the vehicle just came in I would expect it to already have those fixes, but shouldn't assume anything...
So if you go on vacation for a month and come back the car will be dead?

I was away for two months and when I came home both cars started up right away.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
So if you go on vacation for a month and come back the car will be dead?

I was away for two months and when I came home both cars started up right away.
It can be difficult generalizing a single car's behavior to all instances of that model. Do not rush to judge.

People have left Mach-E's sitting in airport lots for weeks without issue. Likewise left them sitting at home without a problem.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It can be difficult generalizing a single car's behavior to all instances of that model. Do not rush to judge.

People have left Mach-E's sitting in airport lots for weeks without issue. Likewise left them sitting at home without a problem.
Hope your right. Too many stories and dead batteries. When car is delivered I will make sure that dealership makes sure battery is charged up to what it should be

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Hope your right. Too many stories and dead batteries. When car is delivered I will make sure that dealership makes sure battery is charged up to what it should be
Not as many recently...check the dates on the threads you're reading.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not as many recently...check the dates on the threads you're reading.
I do check dates and they seem to still be happening , how much I couldn’t say. Dont Know how this compares to ICE cars either. What I do know is having been on other forums for new ICE cars never saw issues with 12v batteries before.

so with that being said I hope they have or will solve this problem.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
That's not true anymore. That was the case with some early builds, but there was a TSB that fixed that.
Hope so, but the fact that Ford has not been pushing out updates it is still true for many out there... mine is still stuck several versions behind at what it was when I drove it off the lot...

I plan to ask have the dealer update it when the take care of the two recalls... Currently my Ford dealer says Ford hasn't given them the info on what to do for the recalls yet and to check back in a week.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Currently my Ford dealer says Ford hasn't given them the info on what to do for the recalls yet and to check back in a week.
Yes, the recall letter says Nov 15th.

If you want them to do module updates while you're there, make sure you have specific complaints that match the different TSBs and SSMs. The only one they'll do without a complaint is the RFA update for PaaK because that was a recall.
Sponsored