Feedback/help needed on quote to install Level 2 charger in my garage

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
Why was the ChargePoint so expensive? They retail for around $600.
I bought it from Xcel Energy, the local utility through their EV charge program. There were only two models that you could choose from through their program, and the Chargepoint Home Flex was the more powerful of the two, which was what I wanted. Retail was more expensive than $600 when I looked a few months ago ($725 maybe?), but I decided this was easier

They're providing me electricity at 2.8 cents per kwh when I charge between 12 a.m. and 6 a.m., so I'm not complaining. I could have rented it from them, but I chose to buy it. I suppose I could have bought one myself, but I was socking away money for the downpayment on the car at the time, so I didn't. They will also maintain it if it ever needs anything, so I suppose I'm paying for that since I didn't rent it from them. My choice. 😊

Ford Mustang Mach-E Feedback/help needed on quote to install Level 2 charger in my garage 1694539712028
Sponsored

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
while $850 seems high, last fall and early spring this year they were in the $750+ range. they've come down a lot since.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Feedback/help needed on quote to install Level 2 charger in my garage 1694539712028
There you go! I thought I remembered seeing that price!

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
If they’re running the circuit from that panel in the garage, it’s very short run and the price seems a tad high. Even if you have to cut and repair the sheetrock, it’s not that big of a deal.
My panel is in the basement on the opposite end of my house from the garage. They had to go up the plumbing stack (outside it, not inside! 🤣), through the attic, and down into the garage. a very long run, hence the expense ($1,575) to install.

CYBER-O

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E4X
Occupation
Independant IT Consultant, Lyft & Uber driver
Country flag
6/2 romex is rated at 55amps and should not be paired wit a 60amp breaker
#6 NM (romex) typically has an ampacity of 55A but since 55A is not a standard breaker size, it is permissible to protect it with a 60A breaker provided that the calculated load is 55A or less. The EVSE needs to be set to a pilot signal of 44A in which case the required ampacity is 55A, and you could use 6/2 NM on a 60A breaker. If the pilot signal is the more typical 48A, the required ampacity would be 60A, and you'd need to use either 4/2 NM or #6 conductors with a 75C wiring method i.e. conduit (for a 65A ampacity).

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just purchased a 2023 Mach-E and now need to get a level 2 charger in my garage. I just received a quote from a large, multi-city EV installation company. Minus the charger itself (which I plan to purchase separately), the quote was still about $1,700 (including tax). This includes $150 for pulling a permit for my city (Austin, Texas). The main charge for installing the 50 amp charger is $1,273.

My question is whether this amount is reasonable. I was vaguely expecting something closer to $1,000 just based on reading this forum and a few other sources. The quote seems thorough in terms of the itemized things they'll do, but I'm trying to decide if I should go get a second quote from another company here in town.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
It depends on how far your line needs to run. We ran 50ft to garage with 50 amp breaker and in 2021 cost $1300 here in west. Pa. Get 2 more quotes from local mom and pop shops like I did.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
#6 NM (romex) typically has an ampacity of 55A but since 55A is not a standard breaker size, it is permissible to protect it with a 60A breaker provided that the calculated load is 55A or less. The EVSE needs to be set to a pilot signal of 44A in which case the required ampacity is 55A, and you could use 6/2 NM on a 60A breaker. If the pilot signal is the more typical 48A, the required ampacity would be 60A, and you'd need to use either 4/2 NM or #6 conductors with a 75C wiring method i.e. conduit (for a 65A ampacity).
That’s not how it works. For continuous loads, the circuit must be sized for 125% of the load, which for a 48A EVSE means 60A.

The next size up rule only applies to services and feeders. The only time #6 NM can be protected by a 60A breaker is if it’s feeding a subpanel with a total calculated load of 55A or less.

OP
OP

MikeATX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Country flag
To answer an earlier question, the photo I uploaded is the sub-panel in the garage. The main panel is on the outside of the house, and unfortunately it's on the opposite side of the house from the garage.

To that point, I re-read the email from the vendor and they're proposing to run conduit starting at the main panel all the way across my front porch and through to the garage on the opposite side of the house. This is quite a long distance (50-60 ft) and also is going to look really ugly. I really don't want this on my front porch if it can be avoided. I'm guessing (but don't know) that the issue is what the poster above mentioned, which is the garage sub-panel can't handle the additional load. But I'm not sure.

Any advice here? If I went with a lower amp circuit, could it work (with a lower charging speed)?

Scott Rose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses. This apparently isn't an unreasonable quote, but a second one may be worth it.

I should have been more specific on the amps. The 'Scope of Work' line in the proposal specifically says that they will "install 50A Charger (40A continuous draw)," which seems right.

Potentially dumb follow-up question: if I'm installing this right next to my breaker panel in my garage, does the electrician just have to run the wiring a couple feet (see image with red circle for the approx. installation location)?

The company I solicited the quote from wanted pictures of the garage and the location of the breaker panel, but also wanted to see the location of the main electrical panel located outside on the side of the house. In my case, the main electrical panel happens to be on the opposite side of the house from the garage. I don't really have a good understanding of whether part of this process requires some sort of change to that panel.

Ideally, but it depends on if there is room in that panel for a 50A breaker and overall capacity of the panel. There may be room for the circuit but you may already be tapped out in terms of total capacity of the sub-panel, and they would have to run it from the main panel. A good electrician would talk through those options and recommended approach. Good luck!

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My shed 14-50 outlet install was $2k, and involved a 30ft run with underground conduit (I dug the ditch though), a new sub-panel in the shed, and combining breakers in the main panel to make space for the new one. I believe they put a 60A breaker in the main panel, and a 50A breaker in the shed sub-panel for the 14-50.

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
I agonized over 40 vs 48 A, and came to the conclusion it didnt matter for my needs as i just plug it in on the evening I need it, and who cares if I save an hour charge time, eg.
Lower charge rate is easier on the battery and everything in circuit. More current makes more heat, so more losses and less efficiency.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
To answer an earlier question, the photo I uploaded is the sub-panel in the garage. The main panel is on the outside of the house, and unfortunately it's on the opposite side of the house from the garage.

To that point, I re-read the email from the vendor and they're proposing to run conduit starting at the main panel all the way across my front porch and through to the garage on the opposite side of the house. This is quite a long distance (50-60 ft) and also is going to look really ugly. I really don't want this on my front porch if it can be avoided. I'm guessing (but don't know) that the issue is what the poster above mentioned, which is the garage sub-panel can't handle the additional load. But I'm not sure.

Any advice here? If I went with a lower amp circuit, could it work (with a lower charging speed)?
Impossible to say for sure without knowing all the details about that subpanel. If the person quoting did it based on solely those photos, he probably used worst-case and figure a run back to the main panel.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Please take this as helpful advice. 6/2 romex is rated at 55amps and should not be paired wit a 60amp breaker. Romex should only be in concealed areas.

A: 6/2 Romex NM-B is a 600v cable rated for 55 amps and can be installed in concealed work (behind walls) in normally dry locations, per the NEC.
Not a problem and I appreciate the advice. You're not the first person to nitpick my installation and I'm sure you won't be the last!;)

I couldn't source a reasonably priced 55amp breaker for my Square D sub panel so I opted for the 60 amp and set my Emporia evse to 44amp becasue of the 6/2 I used.

Jack Roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
I just purchased a 2023 Mach-E and now need to get a level 2 charger in my garage. I just received a quote from a large, multi-city EV installation company. Minus the charger itself (which I plan to purchase separately), the quote was still about $1,700 (including tax). This includes $150 for pulling a permit for my city (Austin, Texas). The main charge for installing the 50 amp charger is $1,273.

My question is whether this amount is reasonable. I was vaguely expecting something closer to $1,000 just based on reading this forum and a few other sources. The quote seems thorough in terms of the itemized things they'll do, but I'm trying to decide if I should go get a second quote from another company here in town.

My cost was $1200 and ind included a 40 amp circuit breaker, 30 ft. of conduit from my panel in the basement through the wall to the garage and power cable for the 40 amp plug plus two 110 outlets in front of the two parking places for a trickle charger if needed and all three plugs.

Alutacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Perf
Country flag

I got 3 quotes. They were all between 2000 and 2100.

VaporTrails

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GTPE
Country flag

I went with an Emporia with 60A breaker. I wanted the potential for 48A charging. Having used it for 6 months, I would be happy with much less. I turned the current down to 30A and it still charges the GT overnight. Faster is better, sure…but is it worth tearing up your house to do it? Maybe….

I do have a 60kw charger within 20 min of the house if I really need to amp up to go somewhere, so that might be another tactic to think about.
Sponsored