Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had to fight like crazy with the dealership to get the Mach E I ordered six months ago and for the first two weeks and 800 miles it has been great. I do not have a level 2 charger at home yet so it's been a combination of 120v at home and a nearby ChargePoint L2 charger that has worked very well. Tonight when I plugged into the 120v at home, which normally gives me about 3 miles of range per hour, I got nothing after two hours. Every indication was that it was charging and the FordPass app said it was charging. I thought it might be an issue with using the 120v at home so I went to the ChargePoint charger I have successfully used three times in the past two weeks and same problem.. The ChargePoint app (7.4KW AC) said I had loaded 0.12 kWh in 16 minutes, or a rate of 0.48KWh and two miles per hour. I had been getting over 20 miles per hour from it. Something has throttled the charging rate down to almost nothing. The car still drives just fine. However, if I just turn on full accessory power I get the service vehicle soon warning. If I then start the car I get no such message. I'm stumped. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Since I've had the car the SOC has been between 40% and 80%. The current SOC is 35% and I'm afraid to drive it anywhere but a dealership now. Thanks.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I had to fight like crazy with the dealership to get the Mach E I ordered six months ago and for the first two weeks and 800 miles it has been great. I do not have a level 2 charger at home yet so it's been a combination of 120v at home and a nearby ChargePoint L2 charger that has worked very well. Tonight when I plugged into the 120v at home, which normally gives me about 3 miles of range per hour, I got nothing after two hours. Every indication was that it was charging and the FordPass app said it was charging. I thought it might be an issue with using the 120v at home so I went to the ChargePoint charger I have successfully used three times in the past two weeks and same problem.. The ChargePoint app (7.4KW AC) said I had loaded 0.12 kWh in 16 minutes, or a rate of 0.48KWh and two miles per hour. I had been getting over 20 miles per hour from it. Something has throttled the charging rate down to almost nothing. The car still drives just fine. However, if I just turn on full accessory power I get the service vehicle soon warning. If I then start the car I get no such message. I'm stumped. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Since I've had the car the SOC has been between 40% and 80%. The current SOC is 35% and I'm afraid to drive it anywhere but a dealership now. Thanks.
Do you have a charge schedule set by any chance?
What icons do you see on the driver's screen while charging?

OP
OP

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do you have a charge schedule set by any chance?
What icons do you see on the driver's screen while charging?

It's set to charge when plugged in. Both the 120v and the ChargePoint have worked until today. Just now, I hit the start button, no brake pedal, and I got the service vehicle soon message and the red battery and orange wrench. If I unplug it and start it I get none of those and it drives without any problems. I did try to start it, forgetting it was plugged in, and the front vents opened and cold air was blowing out. I'm in the Kansas City area high in the upper 80's today and the garage temp is still about 80 now, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Leave it plugged in all day and see if things improve. I'm wondering if it's potentially doing a software update and won't charge until it's finished?

Otherwise it may be time to call your dealer unfortunately.

OP
OP

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Leave it plugged in all day and see if things improve. I'm wondering if it's potentially doing a software update and won't charge until it's finished?

Otherwise it may be time to call your dealer unfortunately.
Was plugged in for 13 hours overnight-nothing. It says it's charging and making a humming noise but didn't even show up in the charging log for FordPass. Will take to dealer tomorrow.

OP
OP

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OP
OP

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll check it again, but it has been working until last night. Also, would not charge at ChargePoint charger that I have been using with success.

Just as an update, the dealer can't get it to charge either. Had it plugged into their charger and it gained 11 miles in 16 hours and 18 minutes of charge time. They have requested technical assistance from Ford, which I believe is a euphemism for you aren't going to see your car for a long time. I had it for 15 days and 885 miles. Kansas lemon law includes being out of service for a total of 30 days (doesn't have to be consecutive) and as much as I like this car I'm getting very nervous about what the future holds and if this goes for more than a few more days that may be the direction I head if it totals 30 days in the first year.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Saw in another thread someone else who had charging problems had it fixed by having the battery packs balanced.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Saw in another thread someone else who had charging problems had it fixed by having the battery packs balanced.
Source? The pack automatically balances itself when the car is off, this isn't something you can control.

If the dealer installs a new battery module, they have to manually balance it on a special charger before integration with the rest of the pack.

So there isn't just an option to force a pack balance anywhere by you or the dealer. If the pack needs balancing then there's likely an issue that requires battery to come out.

OP
OP

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Source? The pack automatically balances itself when the car is off, this isn't something you can control.

If the dealer installs a new battery module, they have to manually balance it on a special charger before integration with the rest of the pack.

So there isn't just an option to force a pack balance anywhere by you or the dealer. If the pack needs balancing then there's likely an issue that requires battery to come out.
Thanks for the info.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag

Not sure if it's even remotely related or what was replaced.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...in-malfunction-reduced-power.5771/post-209462

OP
OP

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Final update: After running all kinds of diagnostics and having an engineer come out to look at the car it was determined that the onboard charger was faulty. Was backordered but after 18 days I got the car back and am enjoying it just as much as before. This car is so much fun to drive and so unique that I'm cutting it a lot more slack than I would any other car under these circumstances. Hopefully that was my big problem and it will be smooth sailing from hereon.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

I have seen the battery balance in progress with the vehicle turned on. We'll, maybe it was in accessory mode.......I don't remember now. ?
Sponsored