Hight Voltage Battery overheating during charging on L2 after OTA

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Like the majority of us, my 2021 Job 1 was stuck on 6.1.0. Two weeks ago the new OTAs started arriving.

in order : 6,2,1. - 6,3,0. - 6,4,0. - Priority Update 23-PU0722-DC-CHG3. - and then, 6,2,0 ??

During the 6.2.0 update I received two charge anomaly messages. Once the update was completed, charging seemed to have resumed normally. But that really wasn't the case.

Now, as soon as I plug into an L2 charger, the car consumes more than 5.5 Kw to heat the battery and keep it between 32C and 35C. And as it is winter here, the cold means that to maintain this high temperature the car consumes more energy from the battery than what the charger delivers. Therefore, the battery charge decreases during the period the car is plugged in.

Yesterday I received OTA 6,7,0 I hoped that would solve the problem. But that didn't change anything.

The car also acts the same strange way during fast charging. Which she has never done for over 2 years.

I reset Sync, cleared charging preferences, tried different chargers, nothing seems to solve the problem.

In short, it's currently impossible to charge on a L2 charger

Has someone already had this problem?

Do you have any suggestions?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Hight Voltage Battery overheating during charging on L2 after OTA IMG_4168.PNG
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So it thinks it's plugged into DC charger when it's actually only an AC, nice...

What EVSE are you using? Tesla by chance?

You got 6.6.0 on Thursday which is the new charger software.

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
So it thinks it's plugged into DC charger when it's actually only an AC, nice...

What EVSE are you using? Tesla by chance?

You got 6.6.0 on Thursday which is the new charger software.
I'm not sure I received 6.6.0. I don't remember seeing this OTA pass

My charger is a Flo G5. Why asking if is Tesla?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I'm not sure I received 6.6.0. I don't remember seeing this OTA pass

My charger is a Flo G5. Why asking if is Tesla?
You did get 6.6.0 and might have missed the notification on the screen.

Some EVSEs can do odd things. Have you tried a different EVSE to see if it does the same thing? Try a public L2.

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
You did get 6.6.0 and might have missed the notification on the screen.

Some EVSEs can do odd things. Have you tried a different EVSE to see if it does the same thing? Try a public L2.
yes I tried on one public charger and it did exactly the same thing.

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
@Mach-Lee so you can tell me I received 6.6.0 I assume that means you already have my VIN? I didn't remember ever sharing it with you in the past.

but if so, thanks for your help.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yes. I have no idea if this would help, but you could try a 12V reset. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes and put it back on. Remove top frunk panel and you'll need a 10 mm socket.

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
you could try a 12V reset.
I was just thinking that this was probably the only thing left for me to try before having to make an appointment at the dealership. I'm going to try it tomorrow in daylight.

I don't know if you did anything by looking at my VIN, but the two charging system error messages just disappeared from my FordPass??

kronstein

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2020 Explorer ST
Country flag
Well my car is doing the same on L1 and low power L2 (3kw) and loses SoC overnight, from 86% at 2:00am down to 81% at 6:00am while “charging” and heats up my garage and increase garage’s ambient temp like 5-6 degrees.

I also got 6.2.0 after I got 6.6.0, now I’m on 6.7.0

@Ford Motor Company is it expected?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I was just thinking that this was probably the only thing left for me to try before having to make an appointment at the dealership. I'm going to try it tomorrow in daylight.

I don't know if you did anything by looking at my VIN, but the two charging system error messages just disappeared from my FordPass??
Wasn't me. Codes can't be cleared remotely, fault must have cleared itself.

Well my car is doing the same on L1 and low power L2 (3kw) and loses SoC overnight, from 86% at 2:00am down to 81% at 6:00am while “charging” and heats up my garage and increase garage’s ambient temp like 5-6 degrees.

You have a different problem with the fans running IRRC, this guy has the battery heater running (no fans).

kronstein

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wasn't me. Codes can't be cleared remotely, fault must have cleared itself.

You have a different problem with the fans running IRRC, this guy has the battery heater running (no fans).
My battery is at 30C+ while charging

IMG_6172.jpeg

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag

I'm almost glad I'm not the only one having this problem.

At home I also charge on a low power L2 and exactly like you, the battery loses power during charging.

As this seems to be a problem affecting more than just one car, it needs a solution quickly from @Ford Motor Company @Ford of Canada

kronstein

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It looks like I got a combo:
0. Car cannot properly predict when it’ll be charged to a desired level, being on L1 EVSE it guesses that it’ll be charged up within 2 hours when SoC is 70% (no way 3kw equates to 20% SoC)
1. Car loses charge while “charging” on low power L2 or L1 EVSE’s.
2. Fordpass charging data is erratic at best, car says one state of charge and fordpass will show different one
3. Car won’t stop charging at SoC level you set (was set to 90% and went beyond that)
4. Car won’t charge to 100%, sometimes it hangs on 99% SoC for a few hours, after plugging out it will switch to 100%.

IMG_6323.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_6281.jpeg

IMG_6280.jpeg