Home EV charger with shorter cable

BayAreaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD SR - Ordered 10/3
Country flag
All the home EV chargers seem to have between 20 to 25 ft cables. Ideally I only need 10-12 ft to minimize the amount of cable coiled up in front of my house. Does anyone know of any with shorter cables, or that can allow cables to be swapped? Ideally want at lease 40A hardwired, but would accept plug in and 32A if the aesthetics were right.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I have a grizzl-e avalanche with a 25ft cable. I only use about half the distance.
The grizzl-e has a holster and you coil whatever is unused around the holster. It works very well and there is no need to shorten a cable.
In the future maybe you’ll get a different EV with the charge port somewhere else on the vehicle, and you’ll need the extra distance.

OP
OP

BayAreaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a grizzl-e avalanche with a 25ft cable. I only use about half the distance.
The grizzl-e has a holster and you coil whatever is unused around the holster. It works very well and there is no need to shorten a cable.
In the future maybe you’ll get a different EV with the charge port somewhere else on the vehicle, and you’ll need the extra distance.
I should have added that I'm extremely tight on space both vertically and horizontally, so trying to avoid needing a separate coil if possible.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I see. The case on the grizzl-e is user accessible, and you may be able to cut the cable yourself and reconnect to the terminals with a shorter length.
You could contact their customer support to see if that’s possible.

OP
OP

BayAreaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see. The case on the grizzl-e is user accessible, and you may be able to cut the cable yourself and reconnect to the terminals with a shorter length.
You could contact their customer support to see if that’s possible.
I was wondering that given they just look like a NEMA enclosure with IP67 glands at the bottom.

OP
OP

BayAreaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So for anyone else looking, I found a charger with an 18ft cable. Super compact and integrated cord holder, which was important given I couldn't fit a separate reel. This is stashed discretely around the side of our house, so can't be seen from the street. The compromise is that it is only 32A and doesn't have any smart features, but I'm willing to make those sacrifices to get the form factor I wanted.

I was skeptical, because I can't find much about the company Turnongreen or reference to them on Reddit or this forum, and their website doesn't even directly list this model. You can see it on their store pages. I bought from Amazon. What caused me to drop my skepticism, was when a reverse image search made it obvious that this is just an OEM Phihong EV charger. Phihong are a large Taiwanese company that make a lot of power supplies.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home EV charger with shorter cable IMG_9031

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home EV charger with shorter cable IMG_9033

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home EV charger with shorter cable IMG_9041

Last edited:

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
All the home EV chargers seem to have between 20 to 25 ft cables. Ideally I only need 10-12 ft to minimize the amount of cable coiled up in front of my house. Does anyone know of any with shorter cables, or that can allow cables to be swapped? Ideally want at lease 40A hardwired, but would accept plug in and 32A if the aesthetics were right.
Dang, if I had seen this earlier, I could have given you this for free. 30A, 16 foot cord. Hardwired.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home EV charger with shorter cable BFACA98B-E4B1-424E-9D31-B1D0590CF86C

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home EV charger with shorter cable 9F0F4C45-FE0D-4855-B273-8032B019FB48