How long do I have to own the Mach-E to get the tax credit?

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Shelby GT 500, '88 T-Bird TC, '19 Shelby F-150
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm frantically searching for answers. I've only owned my MME GT since the end of August, but I've been offered a good price for it. I wasn't planning on selling it, but the offer might be too good to pass up.

Since I've only owned the car for 2 and a half months, would I still be eligible for the tax credit? Or do I lose that credit once I sell it/trade it in? Is there a certain length of time that I need to own it to claim the credit?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
IRS has no idea you sold it...
They can figure out whatever they need to if you get audited.

The entire tax system is the ā€œhonor system.ā€

Until get audited. Then youā€™re guilty until proven innocent.

That said, pretty sure if you didnā€™t buy it for the sole purpose of resale, youā€™re good. But like they said above, the shorter the time period the more you would get questioned in an audit.

OP
OP
Tommy303

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
I didn't buy it to sell it, however, I did also reserve the Lightning. I got out of a Raptor prior to the MME and now a stealership has a deal on a Shelby F-150 that might be too good to be true. I'm trying to figure out how they have the upper hand and thought that it might be the tax credit.

Thank you, everyone!

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
My accountant told me as long as I did not buy it with ā€œintent to sell it,ā€ I will be fine. Just remember if you buy another EV, you need $15k in fed tax liability to use is all on your 2021 taxes.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm frantically searching for answers. I've only owned my MME GT since the end of August, but I've been offered a good price for it. I wasn't planning on selling it, but the offer might be too good to pass up.

Since I've only owned the car for 2 and a half months, would I still be eligible for the tax credit? Or do I lose that credit once I sell it/trade it in? Is there a certain length of time that I need to own it to claim the credit?
Someone finally got gapped by a 2.0T. ????

OP
OP
Tommy303

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
Someone finally got gapped by a 2.0T. ????
:eek:???? Nope, no gappage here...I'll actually make about 10k if I decide to trade it and I'll finally have a Shelby F-150 to tow my GT-500.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
:eek:???? Nope, no gappage here...I'll actually make about 10k if I decide to trade it and I'll finally have a Shelby F-150 to tow my GT-500.
Will you really make that much? Tax, tag, title, dealer feeā€¦ā€¦

Just sales tax on mine was $4200.

Oh and donā€™t forget the short term capital gains tax youā€™ll have to pay if you actually do profit on the sale.

https://blog.carvana.com/2020/03/what-to-know-about-taxes-when-you-sell-a-vehicle/

My gut says you arenā€™t actually netting as much as you think. But if you want a different vehicle, get a different vehicle.

OP
OP
Tommy303

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
Will you really make that much? Tax, tag, title, dealer feeā€¦ā€¦

Just sales tax on mine was $4200.

Oh and donā€™t forget the short term capital gains tax youā€™ll have to pay if you actually do profit on the sale.

https://blog.carvana.com/2020/03/what-to-know-about-taxes-when-you-sell-a-vehicle/

My gut says you arenā€™t actually netting as much as you think. But if you want a different vehicle, get a different vehicle.
Considering tax, yes you're right. I'm not making that much. I put a bunch down on my MME and I'm getting it back. The dealership is giving me MSRP for it, so I'm not making a profit over what I paid.

I'm just getting what I paid into it back out.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Considering tax, yes you're right. I'm not making that much.
Check your state's rules on how sales tax is affected by trade-ins. Some states require you to trade-in at the dealer where you are purchasing your new car, some states allow you to sell the old car to anyone, and some states don't give you a break on the sales tax for trade-ins at all.
Sponsored