How many amps should I set the charger for?

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD ER (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
The Ford Mobile charger is 32 amp and not adjustable.
https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-charging/what-is-the-ford-mobile-power-cord/

Reality is theres a few things going against you for a wall mounted charger at this time. There's an issue with the charge port, it's causing EVSE's to derate to sub 40amps. This currently isn't getting fixed.

There's also a matter of heat and waste. The higher charge you run into the car the more heat (read: fans running in the summer in your garage turning it into a sauna) and wasted electricity because of the heat, the fans, pumps and EVSE efficiency go down. Charging around 32 amps usually keeps the fans off or mostly off. This saves you a few pennies a day in power costs, and possibly more if your sauna heats up the house, which triggers your AC to run more.

Get an adjustable on the fly charger (the Emporia was just on sale for $300). I bump mine down in the summer, and probably raise it in the winter if I need to ram some power in for a trip somewhere on a couple hours notice. I thought my Tesla WallConnector was adjustable on the fly but it's not, so it's in a box for some new owner to take off my hands. I have a thread on On the Fly adjustable chargers here.
I agree. We live in Phoenix, and the car makes plenty of noise charging in the garage on a hot summer night at 40 amps. Our ChargePoint Flex will do 48 amps (its on a 60 amp circuit) but we found 40 amps works just fine.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
My screen looks different and I have the latest update. It shows circuit breaker amps and I can’t change it.
IMG_4148.png
Go back a screen. It’s next to “remind me to plug in”.

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X 5, 2021 Mach E-Premium RWD Job 2
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
Do you have charger firmware 5.5.3.13? Mine updated last week.
No
I turn the cb off on my charger when I’m not using it. Is there a way to update the ChargePoint or does it update automatically.
I thought when you update the app the charger updates too.

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
Wow the price on the mini is $490. Might still be top of the list, i haven't found anything else that does 40a to 7a. I have a grizzle wall adapter they are high quality.

-b
Grizzl-E has some weird pricing. The Classic 40A unit many of us have (including me) is a great deal at ~$350. Always has been. But then there's the mini that costs a lot MORE rather than less. And $100 for a t-shirt??

$35 for the Tesla adapter seems really cheap though. They seem all over the place on pricing.
its definitely an expensive unit. I was on the fence on buying it. But I was able to sell my Grizzl-E Duo for enough to make it make sense and my needs changed.

I weighed my option of the mini vs a Tesla mobile Gen 2 with TeslaTap (being basically the same cost) but the Tesla is only capable of 32A.

the mini is closer in capability to their smart unit not the classic. So I see it as a $100 premium to be portable and work with 120V. The key being it is still capable of 40A if I need it.

The onboard site is very helpful for monitoring usage On the go. I need to be able to report how much electricity I have used for the car and this provides it easier than FordPass.

IMG_0465.png

IMG_0464.png

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
No
I turn the cb off on my charger when I’m not using it. Is there a way to update the ChargePoint or does it update automatically.
I thought when you update the app the charger updates too.
No. It updates automatically, typically a few hours after you unplug. You should be leaving it on all the time, flipping the circuit breaker daily causes it to wear out, overheat, and fail since it’s not meant for switching duty.

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
No. It updates automatically, typically a few hours after you unplug. You should be leaving it on all the time, flipping the circuit breaker daily causes it to wear out, overheat, and fail since it’s not meant for switching duty.
Will do.
thanks for the advice

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
its definitely an expensive unit. I was on the fence on buying it. But I was able to sell my Grizzl-E Duo for enough to make it make sense and my needs changed.

I weighed my option of the mini vs a Tesla mobile Gen 2 with TeslaTap (being basically the same cost) but the Tesla is only capable of 32A.

the mini is closer in capability to their smart unit not the classic. So I see it as a $100 premium to be portable and work with 120V. The key being it is still capable of 40A if I need it.

The onboard site is very helpful for monitoring usage On the go. I need to be able to report how much electricity I have used for the car and this provides it easier than FordPass.
It does seem a cool unit.

Looking at https://ev-lectron.com/products/lectron-portable-electric-car-charger-40a

Lectron's is on sale ($220). It doesn't have all the adapter plugs, but I bought those separately anyway. There's nothing on Lectron's site about changing the amps, but the user manual says it has two buttons so you can "slow down charging to prevent overheated wiring" which is a slightly scary way of saying it but also very accurate.

Def. not as cool as the web page you posted! Also OK to spend a little extra to support an expensive car somehow, although that's a fallicy.

JimboSlice

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Caravan, Sonic, Mach-E and Safari
Occupation
Body Shop Manager
Country flag
Very cool. My portable I have been using since we bought the car new in July has started turning orange. I’ve been able to reset it and blue twice in a week. I’m not confident it will last plugged in all the time.
The dealer will replace it at no charge. Mine started turning yellow and it would take 12 to 15 hours to charge to 90% when it only took 5 to 6 hours. I took the car in for the shifter knob issue and they replaced both under warranty. I'm back to 5 to 6 hours again.

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD ER (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
I installed a 60A breaker and 48A capable charger, but after running it for a while I backed down the charger to 32A. I noticed that the thermal system on the car runs less at a 32A rate and the garage stays a bit cooler. Where I live, I don’t need or want the extra heat. It charges overnight, so I don’t notice that it finishes quicker.
This sounds familiar. i live in Phoenix and the temperature in my west facing garage is more than 120 degrees almost every afternoon in the summer. Even though I charge after 11:00 pm, the garage is still 90 degrees or more overnight. I dialed my ChargePoint Home Flex back to 32 amps to minimize the fan noise during the charging. If I needed to charge the car to 100% in a shorter period of time I could dial it back up, but 32 amps works just fine for me.

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
I finally received the latest ChargePoint software for my box. I’m now able to adjust the amps. My Circuit breaker setting in the app is 40 amps. The max amps I’m able to set is 24 amps. My actual circuit breaker is a 50 amps so I’m going to reset my account to 50 amp so I can adjust my amps higher, maybe 32 amps.

KennyCaphill

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Edition AWD Standard Range
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
Mine died after 9 months of usage. Put in a Grizzl-E at 48amps and love the charge speed
Sponsored