How many miles per KW around town / city?

Steve2150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2020 Mustang Ecoboost,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Will be getting rid of my Chevy Bolt then order a Mach E Premium RWD extended battery. Just wondering around town no highway how many miles per KW. The Bolt around town gets 5 miles per KW, on the highway much less. How does the Mach E compare. The Bolt is plain compared to the Mach E.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Will be getting rid of my Chevy Bolt then order a Mach E Premium RWD extended battery. Just wondering around town no highway how many miles per KW. The Bolt around town gets 5 miles per KW, on the highway much less. How does the Mach E compare. The Bolt is plain compared to the Mach E.
That varies all over the place. You're in Florida, where cold won't impact things (except today maybe...). But it depends on how you drive. You're not going to see 5. Maybe you'll hit 4 if you're light on the pedal. Or not.

And you said " The Bolt is plain compared to the Mach E. " The Bolt has 200 hp. The Mach-E has 346hp. This is like comparing a Mustang ICE with a Chevy Spark.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Depends on the weather and how you drive. The EPA rating is based on approximately 3.1 miles per kWh. On short trips in the winter with the heat on, I get around 1.5 miles per kWh.

KDub

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CA Route 1
Country flag
Over 9000 miles in NorCal where temperatures range from 38 to 90s, I've been getting 3.9. it's been as high as 4.4 but cold weather brought it down as I'm running heat more.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
So many factors impact range, but if I don't drive like a lunatic, which is hard in the MME, I can get in the mid 3s easily. I have reached into the 4s a couple times, but I have only had my car since November and don't have much warm weather driving. I expect this summer I may see a lot more of 4+ mi/kWh in town trips. Time will tell.

As @RickMachE mentioned, I think it will be hard to hit 5 in my car. If efficiency is most important to you, look at a RWD model, and the CA Route 1 is most efficient.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’ve found around 50F outside is the magic number. If it’s over 50F out I easily get 3.3 mi / kWH or more (haven’t had any days above 60 yet so it could be much better in the spring and summer). Below 32F it’s closer to 2-2.3 since I keep the heat on pretty warm. This is mostly suburban driving, not much highway.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a Bolt and a Mach E and the Bolt is definitely a little more efficient around town, but I never get 5 mile/kWh. My around town usually includes some highway, since I live in Phoenix. And in the summer AC is running like crazy. For me, depending on the time of year, I see 3.8-4.2 on my Bolt. I am seeing around 3.9 on the Mach E, but the Mach E display resolution is +/-0.2, which is not very accurate. I have also seen discrepancies in the mile/kWh showing on the Mach E compared to battery percentage really used and comparing to what I think that usage was in kWh. So the mile/kWh reported by the Mach E is always on the high side for me, it seems to round up.

The Bolt has much better power reporting than the Mach E, it shows current power consumption in kW, and also shows kWh used since last full charge. The Mach E has neither of those and you cannot verify the accuracy of the mile/kWh.

On the other hand, since the Mach E battery is bigger than the Bolt, the climate control has less effect on range. This brings up another point, the GOM on the Bolt is much smarter than the GOM for the Mach E, it takes into account climate control and current driving conditions much quicker. Just as an example, for the Mach E you can turn the climate on or off and there will be no change to range estimate. On the Bolt it immediately changes the GOM to account for more or less power used by climate control.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Around town, I honestly couldn't tell you because I literally cannot stop myself from jabbing the throttle at every opportunity. Can someone tell me when the novelty will wear off?

On the freeway at 60-70mph, I'm getting around 2.5-2.7mi/kWh depending on the PNW winter weather.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Also keep in mind what "around town" means. My son lives in Florida. His "town" has 25 - 40 mph speed limits, and he can get to stores never exceeding 25mph.

When we go to the grocery store, the roads are 45mph. If we go to say Costco, we get on the highway for 10 miles or so. That's still "around town".

Reactions: ARK

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The sweet spot is round 35 mph I think. If you hit a flat 35 mph road, your efficiency will be amazing.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
4.5 easy in our RWD rig if when we run with the windows open and no air.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I’ve found around 50F outside is the magic number. If it’s over 50F out I easily get 3.3 mi / kWH or more (haven’t had any days above 60 yet so it could be much better in the spring and summer). Below 32F it’s closer to 2-2.3 since I keep the heat on pretty warm. This is mostly suburban driving, not much highway.
Now that we have had some sub 50 degree temps I would agree that the MME range degradation begins at that level. This morning after we warmed up to 50 I drove about 50 miles and got 3.0 miles per KWH. On the return trip at 60 degrees I got 3.5 miles per KWH. Top speed for this trip was around 60 mph with a lot of stop and go driving. I set up a departure time so the battery and cabin temps were warm from the start.
Sponsored