Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I've looked at this issue in detail, and the simple answer is the heater is too small. If you let the battery get to cold, it will also use up a lot of your heat trying to keep warm.

If you do everything right (leaved plugged in, precondition, use moderate HVAC settings), you might be able to make it down to -25ÂșC with clear windows, but some fogging is going to occur here and there as the HVAC strategy cycles the fresh air open and closed.

Cold weather checklist for maximum heat:
  • Park in a garage and plug in all the time
  • Always set a departure time before leaving
  • Remove excess snow and water from your feet/mats
  • Always use the AUTO function unless you need to use MAX Defrost
  • Use a moderate temp and fan speed setting. Lower is better
    • I suggest using 20ÂșC AUTO 2
    • Do not use HI
Sponsored

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
I've looked at this issue in detail, and the simple answer is the heater is too small. If you let the battery get to cold, it will also use up a lot of your heat trying to keep warm.

If you do everything right (leaved plugged in, precondition, use moderate HVAC settings), you might be able to make it down to -25ÂșC with clear windows, but some fogging is going to occur here and there as the HVAC strategy cycles the fresh air open and closed.

Cold weather checklist for maximum heat:
  • Park in a garage and plug in all the time
  • Remove excess snow and water from your feet/mats
  • Always use the AUTO function unless you need to use MAX Defrost
  • Use a moderate temp and fan speed setting. Lower is better
    • I suggest using 20ÂșC AUTO 2
    • Do not use HI
It’s 15 degrees here in Michigan (not -15c!!!) but my heat works great. I have it set to 71 auto and it’s perfect. Have you updated 22B28 TSB done for the heat? It was done for people living in -15c areas.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It’s 15 degrees here in Michigan (not -15c!!!) but my heat works great. I have it set to 71 auto and it’s perfect. Have you updated 22B28 TSB done for the heat? It was done for people living in -15c areas.
Yes. At +15ÂșF there is still plenty of heat available, no issues there. That changes dramatically when you get below around 0ÂșF. Once you reach the threshold it will suddenly stop keeping up.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I guess from what I’m seeing here, I haven’t been paying great attention, or taking long enough drives when it’s THAT cold out. Add that we haven’t even really had winter yet in my neighborhood and I’ve been very happy. Predicting -20°F this weekend though. May finally be able to reach my favorite ice fishing spot.

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
Yes. At +15ÂșF there is still plenty of heat available, no issues there. That changes dramatically when you get below around 0ÂșF. Once you reach the threshold it will suddenly stop keeping up.
-1f was the worst I’ve driven in and it wasn’t a problem. Still that’s not -15c 

that’s cold!!!

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
We went for a drive tonight and it was close to -13C so just a few degrees warmer but not by much. Total drive time was around 30 minutes so not a long drive at all.

The 23MY MME GT kept the cabin warm just fine. I didn't have any tools to measure the cabin temperature but it felt comfortable.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also, if Ford EV's system work like I've been told they do, the vehicle should automatically heat the coolants to prevent it from getting too cold to ice up and burst hoses like ICE vehicles experience here.
Been doing that for the first time this winter. It comes on and auto preconditions this winter for me. Plugged into L2 at -5 to -10C was coming on once at day. At -10 to -20C that has become twice a day. Always for around 15 to 20 minute. -32C coming up fingers crossed.

As you I use low fan (auto 1) at 18C with the heated seat at one also. No problems here but only down to -28C so far. Maybe we are more northernized than others? Bit of fog maybe at the start which is humidity in the car due to it sitting but that has happen to every vehicle I have owned. Hit the defrost a couple of times, drive it a bit and it works it way out. Car has been comfortable in the cold here. Not peeling off layers but OK.

đŸ€Ł

May finally be able to reach my favorite ice fishing spot.
A man that can walk on water ;)
Sponsored