First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
@Just Lurking See attached. Latest notes in PTS regarding this are:
Thank you! Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing there requiring an in-person visit in order to write up a work order.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It's certainly possible the process has changed, but given the general level of incompetence at many dealerships I'm a bit skeptical. I'd love if someone with access to internal dealer bulletins like @Mach-Lee or maybe @rugedraw would post the latest bulletin/instructions related to the HVBJB recall.

This is what undermines this whole line of thinking and shows what an incredible waste of the customer's time this is. Here's a better process that still ensures rapid progress on the recall while respecting a customer's time:
  1. Customer schedules an appointment for the recall via phone/web/text.
  2. Dealer orders the part to arrive just-in-time (JIT).
  3. If the customer cancels/reschedules/no-shows, immediately reassign the part to be used on the next available Mach-E.
  4. When the customer reschedules the appointment, order another part JIT.
That could work, but still is less efficient.

Because #2, parts shipping isn’t JIT.
#3, adds time and there may not be someone else needing the same part available for a few days or weeks (depending on how remote you are)
#4 see #2

The fastest way is for the 30,000 cars to be at the dealership when the parts arrive. Any deviation from that is less efficient.

And for customer experience, Ford chose speed. Probably because of the 30,000 volume.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Thank you! Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing there requiring an in-person visit in order to write up a work order.
That I cannot confirm. I haven't worked for Ford for years at this point, but when I did and for the brands I work for now, we cannot order VIN specific parts for a vehicle unless it has come into the store and been properly diagnosed. They can order the part for stock, but not for a specific vehicle. Service policies and procedures are not my area of expertise, to take that for it's worth which is possibly nothing.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Just Lurking See attached. Latest notes in PTS regarding this are:

Safety Recall 23S56
NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD:
Certain 2021-2022 Model Year Mustang Mach-E Vehicles - High Voltage Battery Junction Box (HVBJB) Replacement and Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Battery Energy Control Module (BECM), and Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module C (SOBDMC) Software Update

FSA Originating Hub: North America

Date: 2/20/24
Vehicles in this program no longer require the four (4) BECM mounting bracket bolts to be replaced. Steps 6, 7 and 8 were removed from WSM 414-03A, which provided direction to remove the bus bar and BECM mounting bracket. A WSM update was made on 2/15/2024. The four (4) BECM mounting bracket bolts (W720404-S450) should not be ordered or submitted on claims opened after 2/20/2024. Any questions should be directed to the SSSC.

Date: 1/4/2024
Vehicles in this program do NOT require the two (2) HVB bolts to be replaced called out in Step 27 of the HVB Removal section, in WSM 414-03A. A WSM update was made on 12/13/2023 that should ONLY APPLY to 2023.5MY and newer vehicles only. Engineering has been made aware and is working on a WSM correction. The parts table listed in the dealer bulletin is complete and accurate.
Dealers should order parts through the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) (5) days prior to the service appointment to ensure parts arrive in time. Refer to EFC Number: EFC14021 for additional Owner Care Plan details related to Safety Recall 23S56.
That’s the same as what the original said “order 5 days in advance.”

For whatever reason, the parts manager showed me he couldn’t order without a VIN and work order.

And couldn’t write up a work order without seeing the car.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That I cannot confirm. I haven't worked for Ford for years at this point, but when I did and for the brands I work for now, we cannot order VIN specific parts for a vehicle unless it has come into the store and been properly diagnosed. They can order the part for stock, but not for a specific vehicle. Service policies and procedures are not my area of expertise, to take that for it's worth which is possibly nothing.
Yeah that’s the exact same story I got from the Ford parts manager.

Just Lurking

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
when I did and for the brands I work for now, we cannot order VIN specific parts for a vehicle unless it has come into the store and been properly diagnosed
Was that true of recalls as well? Because there is no diagnosis required for a recall based on VIN. If your VIN is on the list, it gets the recall, no diagnosis required.

For whatever reason, the parts manager showed me he couldn’t order without a VIN and work order.

And couldn’t write up a work order without seeing the car.
I still think what you and others have experienced is more likely to be Ford bureaucracy and incompetence. For obvious reasons it would be problematic for dealers to "guess" at parts required based solely on a customer's description, so requiring a diagnosis prior to ordering parts is logical the vast majority of the time.

However, for a recall tied to a specific VIN, there is no diagnosis involved. You have VIN "XYZ" and "XYZ" is on the list? You get the part, no questions asked.

It's strongly implied throughout the recall bulletin, for example:
Arrange to pick up the owner’s vehicle and drive it to the dealership for repairs (rentals are authorized – see Rental Vehicles).
Order parts through the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) five (5) days prior to the service appointment to ensure parts arrive in time.
Dealers are pre-approved for up to 2 days for a comparable rental vehicle.
It's not possible to order the part and perform the repair within two days, implying that the part must be ordered before the customer gets the rental, i.e. before the car arrives at the service center.

Also, if the car must be at the service center prior to ordering, then the language related to ordering the part 5 days prior to the service appointment is nonsensical.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was that true of recalls as well? Because there is no diagnosis required for a recall based on VIN. If your VIN is on the list, it gets the recall, no diagnosis required.

I still think what you and others have experienced is more likely to be Ford bureaucracy and incompetence. For obvious reasons it would be problematic for dealers to "guess" at parts required based solely on a customer's description, so requiring a diagnosis prior to ordering parts is logical the vast majority of the time.

However, for a recall tied to a specific VIN, there is no diagnosis involved. You have VIN "XYZ" and "XYZ" is on the list? You get the part, no questions asked.

It's strongly implied throughout the recall bulletin, for example:

It's not possible to order the part and perform the repair within two days, implying that the part must be ordered before the customer gets the rental, i.e. before the car arrives at the service center.

Also, if the car must be at the service center prior to ordering, then the language related to ordering the part 5 days prior to the service appointment is nonsensical.
I don’t disagree.

I just understand the “why” based on figuring out the fastest way to do 30,000 of these recalls.

And like others have posted, some dealers have written up work orders and ordered parts without seeing the cars. Other people have taken their cars home.

So at least we have some options.

As far as seeing the car to “diagnose,” it also has another benefit: they get to see if there are other problems needing parts and or fixing.

Many here (myself included) have a laundry list of things to fix when we take the car in, not just the recall.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
That depends on the recall parameters. Many recalls require the vehicle to be inspected firs tot determine what needs to be done and/or ordered. This one for the F150's is a prime example that instantly popped in mind> It's a bit of a read, but this is why you can't just order a VIN specific part blindly for a specific VIN:

Safety Recall 23S35
Supplement # 2
Certain 2021-2023 Model Year F-150 Vehicles with Single Exhaust - Repair Rear Axle Wire Harness Chafe

• Date: 1/31/2024.
• Attention: - All, Technician, Parts Service Manager, Warranty Administrator

Update:

Attention: Recall 23S35 was updated with Supplement # 2 on 1/30/2024 to update parts availability, service procedures and to stop Interim Rear Axle Wire Harness repairs. There are now Only TWO Repair procedures paths, follow Updated Dealer Bulletin, Tech Info and Landing Page Service Tips below:

Repair # 1: Inspect the Rear Axle Wire Harness: If NO-DAMAGE found, use the parts listed in this recall, follow the Updated Dealer Bulletin and Technical Info instructions to protect the Rear Axle Wire Harness (Base Part # *-15K857-*) The required zip-tie and tape have a higher abrasion and UV resistance than standard zip-ties and tape. Standard nylon zip-ties do not meet the required material properties for this recall.

For correct parts ordering of the - Inspection/Harness Protection- Go To Rotunda Web-Site: https://www.rotundatechtools.com/ - Search for the following parts: A. Zip-tie: NAIT255R0HIRX2-L 20 250 LB IMPACT RESISTANT HEAT STAB (50 pack)
B. Tape PolyKen 650: NAIPOLYKEN650 POLYKEN 650 HARNESS TAPE 3/4X1 (roll of 6)

Repair #2: Inspect the Rear Axle Wire Harness, If DAMAGE is found, use the parts listed in this recall, follow the Updated Dealer Bulletin and Technical Info instructions and replace the Rear Axle Wire Harness (Base Part # *-15K857-*) – Refer to the Dealer Bulletin and Parts Catalog for The correct part.

Attention Technicians:Effective 1/30/204: With the introduction of Dealer Bulletin 23S35 –Supplement # 2 on 1/30/2024: It is no longer approved or required to Repair or Order Parts to Repair the Rear Axle Wire Harness (Base Part # *-15K857-*). There are no new provisions or new labor operations to perform this previously approved Interim repair. Follow the updated Dealer Bulletin -Supplement # 2, Tech Instructions and the above Service Tips.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That depends on the recall parameters. Many recalls require the vehicle to be inspected firs tot determine what needs to be done and/or ordered. This one for the F150's is a prime example that instantly popped in mind> It's a bit of a read, but this is why you can't just order a VIN specific part blindly for a specific VIN:

Safety Recall 23S35
Supplement # 2
Certain 2021-2023 Model Year F-150 Vehicles with Single Exhaust - Repair Rear Axle Wire Harness Chafe

• Date: 1/31/2024.
• Attention: - All, Technician, Parts Service Manager, Warranty Administrator

Update:

Attention: Recall 23S35 was updated with Supplement # 2 on 1/30/2024 to update parts availability, service procedures and to stop Interim Rear Axle Wire Harness repairs. There are now Only TWO Repair procedures paths, follow Updated Dealer Bulletin, Tech Info and Landing Page Service Tips below:

Repair # 1: Inspect the Rear Axle Wire Harness: If NO-DAMAGE found, use the parts listed in this recall, follow the Updated Dealer Bulletin and Technical Info instructions to protect the Rear Axle Wire Harness (Base Part # *-15K857-*) The required zip-tie and tape have a higher abrasion and UV resistance than standard zip-ties and tape. Standard nylon zip-ties do not meet the required material properties for this recall.

For correct parts ordering of the - Inspection/Harness Protection- Go To Rotunda Web-Site: https://www.rotundatechtools.com/ - Search for the following parts: A. Zip-tie: NAIT255R0HIRX2-L 20 250 LB IMPACT RESISTANT HEAT STAB (50 pack)
B. Tape PolyKen 650: NAIPOLYKEN650 POLYKEN 650 HARNESS TAPE 3/4X1 (roll of 6)

Repair #2: Inspect the Rear Axle Wire Harness, If DAMAGE is found, use the parts listed in this recall, follow the Updated Dealer Bulletin and Technical Info instructions and replace the Rear Axle Wire Harness (Base Part # *-15K857-*) – Refer to the Dealer Bulletin and Parts Catalog for The correct part.

Attention Technicians:Effective 1/30/204: With the introduction of Dealer Bulletin 23S35 –Supplement # 2 on 1/30/2024: It is no longer approved or required to Repair or Order Parts to Repair the Rear Axle Wire Harness (Base Part # *-15K857-*). There are no new provisions or new labor operations to perform this previously approved Interim repair. Follow the updated Dealer Bulletin -Supplement # 2, Tech Instructions and the above Service Tips.
My understanding; however, is that for some recalls Fords ships parts to the dealers and they are on hand if needed. Therefore, having the care come in makes sense. In my case I went into service, they looked up the recall, ordered the HVBJB which arrived in 5 days but scheduled the work 30 days out as that was as soon as they can get to it. There is no reason the car needs to be looked at.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t disagree.

I just understand the “why” based on figuring out the fastest way to do 30,000 of these recalls.

And like others have posted, some dealers have written up work orders and ordered parts without seeing the cars. Other people have taken their cars home.

So at least we have some options.

As far as seeing the car to “diagnose,” it also has another benefit: they get to see if there are other problems needing parts and or fixing.

Many here (myself included) have a laundry list of things to fix when we take the car in, not just the recall.
This recall will be done as soon as Ford can make the parts and it is as simple as that. They know exactly how many of each part is needed. Scheduling has nothing to do with it other than how long after the last part is manufactured that the last person waiting can get their car fixed. Ford’s plan was to prioritize and systematically issue the parts but unfortunately they did not implement things that way at first. In Dec when parts first became available we received notices to that effect and many, including myself, went to our service departments and ordered our parts. Then the parts ran out and now people just have to wait for parts availability to get the recall completed.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
My understanding; however, is that for some recalls Fords ships parts to the dealers and they are on hand if needed. Therefore, having the care come in makes sense. In my case I went into service, they looked up the recall, ordered the HVBJB which arrived in 5 days but scheduled the work 30 days out as that was as soon as they can get to it. There is no reason the car needs to be looked at.

No argument here on your point. My comment was directed towards them not being able to order VIN specific just because it has an open recall. I mentioned earlier that they can order parts for stock if they're available.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This recall will be done as soon as Ford can make the parts and it is as simple as that. They know exactly how many of each part is needed. Scheduling has nothing to do with it other than how long after the last part is manufactured that the last person waiting can get their car fixed. Ford’s plan was to prioritize and systematically issue the parts but unfortunately they did not implement things that way at first. In Dec when parts first became available we received notices to that effect and many, including myself, went to our service departments and ordered our parts. Then the parts ran out and now people just have to wait for parts availability to get the recall completed.
Almost.

The recall isn’t done when parts are made, the recall is done when parts are installed.

And that requires a car to be at a dealership.

If dealers just ordered a bunch of parts ahead of time, it’s inefficient and the right parts don’t get to the right cars as quickly.

And if your car happens to be the unlucky one that’s been sitting at a dealership because your HVBJB died……. That’s a big deal.

For sure parts availability is an issue, but so is dealer and tech availability as well as making sure the car owners comply and show up when they’re supposed to.

This reminds me of an internship I did in college:

My job was to build a system to reduce work in progress inventory at an automotive material dying and finishing plant.

You have to identify where and how things can get sped up at EVERY step of the process.

And having owners with cars at the dealership while parts are on order speeds it up.

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
And lastly, I'll guess I'll never get the benefits Ford was giving to those who had the HVBJB repaired under the recall.
Well I stand corrected. I at least received the 30,000 points in my FordPass Rewards account. Haven't heard anything about the other gifts. I'm truly amazed I got the points since mine wasn't technically repaired under the recall.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I recently had my 23S56 recall done ('21, Job 1, AWD ER). I had received a message back in December saying that parts were available. Dealer 1 took my car, performed all the other recalls, but never saw the 23S56 line on their work order, so they didn't even try to order parts...

A few weeks ago I had it in at Dealer 2, who told me that they could get parts in a day or two. Took my car next day, took 3-4 days to get all the parts in, then a few more days to get the work completed. 10 calendar days, 7 business days total. They did wash the car afterward, and the service valet dropped the car off at my house, which was nice. Confirmed that I got the latest part revision for the ER batteries, NK4Z-10C666-E.

I did receive my 30k ford points, only took about 5 days after the work was done. Haven't received the other goodies yet, but they did say 3+ weeks for that so I'm not worried yet.
Sponsored