HVBJB Replacement and Charging Issue

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium RWD ER
Country flag
My HVBJB recall service was completed last week. On the first charging session since then, the charge rate from my Level 2 EVSE came in under 2.5 kW, which meant it didn't hit my 85% preferred limit overnight. The usual rate is around 8-9 kW. Fortunately I didn't have anywhere to go today but if I had I would've been screwed. Has anyone else seen this happen? Do I just put it back on the charger again tonight and hope it doesn't happen again, or do I need to run it into the dealership?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I did look and did not find any discussion of this issue.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Find another L2 charger and see if that one can charge your car at a higher rate. You need to rule out that your problem is not the charger itself.

OP
OP
Secret Sauce

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Find another L2 charger and see if that one can charge your car at a higher rate. You need to rule out that your problem is not the charger itself.
I can try the portable EVSE that came with the car, but before I do that I think I will try another charge session overnight with one I've been using. It would be a very weird coincidence for the EVSE to give out on the very first charge session after the HVBJB service.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can try the portable EVSE that came with the car, but before I do that I think I will try another charge session overnight with one I've been using. It would be a very weird coincidence for the EVSE to give out on the very first charge session after the HVBJB service.
Recommend to power-cycle your installed EVSE before trying again tonight.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My HVBJB recall service was completed last week. On the first charging session since then, the charge rate from my Level 2 EVSE came in under 2.5 kW, which meant it didn't hit my 85% preferred limit overnight. The usual rate is around 8-9 kW. Fortunately I didn't have anywhere to go today but if I had I would've been screwed. Has anyone else seen this happen? Do I just put it back on the charger again tonight and hope it doesn't happen again, or do I need to run it into the dealership?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I did look and did not find any discussion of this issue.
Many of us are having this problem with many different types of EVSE. They installed software that causes this to happen. More info Here. Anyone telling you to run out and buy a new charger is blowing smoke.

OP
OP
Secret Sauce

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Many of us are having this problem with many different types of EVSE. They installed software that causes this to happen. More info Here. Anyone telling you to run out and buy a new charger is blowing smoke.
Wow. I didn't read all 50 (!) pages but a few of things stand out. First, no solutions or answers from Ford. Second, this problem seems to have appeared more than six months ago and I am just seeing it now, and third, nobody is reporting charging speeds as low as mine. If I'm really stuck to a charging rate of under 2.5 kW with no fix available, this makes the car close to useless.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Wow. I didn't read all 50 (!) pages but a few of things stand out. First, no solutions or answers from Ford. Second, this problem seems to have appeared more than six months ago and I am just seeing it now, and third, nobody is reporting charging speeds as low as mine. If I'm really stuck to a charging rate of under 2.5 kW with no fix available, this makes the car close to useless.
Which EVSE are you using? I would definitely try resetting your EVSE and trying a different one to confirm.

Also have you inspected your charge port and J1772 lately for damaged pins? See this: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-clean-your-charge-port.29901/

OP
OP
Secret Sauce

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which EVSE are you using? I would definitely try resetting your EVSE and trying a different one to confirm.

Also have you inspected your charge port and J1772 lately for damaged pins? See this: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-clean-your-charge-port.29901/
It's an older "dumb" JuiceBox from back in the day when they came in galvanized steel enclosures. Installed 7 years ago. No user accessible controls. Can a "reset" be accomplished by unplugging it?

No, I haven't inspected the charge port. At this point I was just going to run another charge session tonight to verify if the problem repeats. Next I was going to try the portable Ford EVSE that came with the car, then check to see if the port is buggered. If it turns out to be, I can't help but to attribute it to the car being at the dealer for the HVBJB service.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe they bent the pins when it was in for service?

Makes perfect sense the car goes in gets repaired and software updated then somehow the home charger became defective during the time it was in the shop. The MME charging port appears to be just the HVBJB 2.0. Limp mode for the HVBJB, limp mode for L2 charging and it appears now a turtle mode at 30% SOC while hitting a brick wall at 80% DCFC. That appears is the reality of owning this vehicle. Pretty much given up at this stage. If they wanted to wear us down they have succeeded here.

OP
OP
Secret Sauce

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe they bent the pins when it was in for service?
Hate to think so but it's certainly a possibility.

I ran another charge session last night and it came up to the charge target, but for some reason this session doesn't appear in the charge log so I can't determine how long it took. So curses, thwarted again. Does anyone know the trick for getting the charge log to update? The usual update method in the app doesn't do it.

OP
OP
Secret Sauce

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My overnight charge session returned similar results to the previous one of under 3 kW. However it did reach the target charge level right before the scheduled 7AM departure time. So I am wondering if the car's charge system now deliberately throttles the charge rate down to the minimum required to reach the target and schedule. Has anyone explored this possibility?

I inspected the pins on the charge port, and as nearly as I can tell they are undamaged. I haven't reset the EVSE because I don't know how. I also haven't tried the Ford EVSE yet and prefer to hold off on that experiment until I have some idea of whether this new charging behavior is a bug or a feature.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My overnight charge session returned similar results to the previous one of under 3 kW. However it did reach the target charge level right before the scheduled 7AM departure time. So I am wondering if the car's charge system now deliberately throttles the charge rate down to the minimum required to reach the target and schedule. Has anyone explored this possibility?

I inspected the pins on the charge port, and as nearly as I can tell they are undamaged. I haven't reset the EVSE because I don't know how. I also haven't tried the Ford EVSE yet and prefer to hold off on that experiment until I have some idea of whether this new charging behavior is a bug or a feature.
The car should not throttle L2 charge rate to try and hit some kind of time target.

Goto your electrical panel and flip the double breaker that your EVSE is connected on. Give it like 10 seconds and then flip back on.
Sponsored