I got lucky...I think

WFU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD; 2020 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I've had a deposit down for a RWD Tesla Model Y since just before they began making Model Ys. Unfortunately, Tesla has yet to make a RWD version, so my deposit just sat...and sat...and sat. Fast forward a year or so and my local Ford dealer had a Mach-E available to test drive, so I went to give it a shot. I liked it quite a bit, but when I asked how long it would be to receive one, it made Tesla's 12 weeks seem short. However, the sales guy did mention that they had received two that were pre-orders and the customers had not picked them up yet. Within a day, one of those two had been claimed. The other, however, sat for almost a week.

Finally, on Friday, the Ford dealer called me to let me know that the person who had reserved the vehicle would not be taking delivery, so they would sell it. If I wanted it, it was mine with no wait. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable with the pick, so I drove to the Savannah Tesla sales center and test drove the Y.

I really liked the Y, but I ended up preferring the interior of the Mach E. I wish Ford had utilized the space a bit better on the car because the Y definitely has more/better cargo space, but we ended up deciding that the Mach E had enough space for our needs.

When I got my sales guy to run the numbers for the car, he was surprised to let me know that there was a $1000 rebate on that particular vehicle. In addition, I received an extra 250kw of free charging from EA. After doing some research and seeing articles referencing a $1000 discount and an extra 250kw of free charging, I'm guessing the car was one of those impacted by delays early on.

I ended up pulling the trigger and now own a Space White Premium with extra battery and all-wheel drive.

Is there anything from that manufacturing delay that I should be looking out for on my car? I found a checklist someone posted on here and I've been going down the items, but I just want to know if there's anything in particular that was wrong with a whole batch of Mach-Es.

If anyone cares, here's what I preferred about each car:

Mach E
-Price
-Interior styling
-Seat comfort
-Exterior styling (but not by much...both are kind of ugly)
-Charging network for my needs (Tesla's supercharger network has a big hole on I-26 and EA has a station located perfectly)
-Range seems slightly better in most real world tests, but the range on both is more than adequate so this wasn't a big factor

Y
-Acceleration
-Handling (but not by much)
-Space
-Experience from manufacturer in making EVs
-Smoothness/sophistication of screen interface
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Congrats! The 250kWh of charging comes with all MMEs. They added an additional 250kWh (500kWh total) for the delays. Did you finance with Ford Options? If so, that’s where the $1000 rebate came from. It’s $1000 in some states and $2500 in some.

OP
OP

WFU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Congrats! The 250kWh of charging comes with all MMEs. They added an additional 250kWh (500kWh total) for the delays. Did you finance with Ford Options? If so, that’s where the $1000 rebate came from. It’s $1000 in some states and $2500 in some.
No, I just did the standard 0.9% loan that has a $100 rebate listed. That's why the sales guy was surprised.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
No, I just did the standard 0.9% loan that has a $100 rebate listed. That's why the sales guy was surprised.
Then you definitely lucked out. Let’s hope they don’t ask for it back ;)

OP
OP

WFU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Then you definitely lucked out. Let’s hope they don’t ask for it back ;)
Agreed! The only thing I can figure out is that this must have been one of the vehicles that was heavily delayed and they added the incentives to it before the owner took delivery.

When I went outside to check out the car after signing everything, there was a couple standing there looking at it. They introduced themselves and said that they actually knew the story behind why my vehicle was not picked up. The guy's father ordered it right after the Mach-E was announced and, sadly, he passed away early last year. They said they cancelled the order with Ford a long time ago, but once it got put in the queue, apparently Ford went ahead and made it anyway.

The couple just wanted to see the car that the guy's father had ordered (Space White with Light Space Gray interior). They already had a mustang and an F-150, so they didn't have any need for another vehicle at this time.
Sponsored