mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
As usual, @markboris leads the way. If you want to install a subwoofer in your MME, you have to read his epic thread: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/adding-a-decent-subwoofer-amp-to-your-mach-e.5481/

I have been following his thread since he created it. I really wanted to improve the bass in my MME, but I didn’t want to spend the money on the JL Audio subwoofer that Mark raves about. I know it is awesome, and I know I would love it. But I just didn’t want to spend that much, and also I wanted to keep the storage under my hatch floor.

I noticed that there is a ton of room under the front seats that isn’t being used for anything useful. Well, “ton” is an exaggeration, because you definitely cannot fit Mark’s JL subwoofer under a front seat. So I started looking for underseat powered subwoofers, and the Infinity BassLink Mini has great reviews, and is small enough to fit under the seat. (Mark even told me he thought it was a good choice, so what else do you need?)
Infinity BassLink Mini Compact powered subwoofer with 6"x8" sub and 100-watt amp at Crutchfield

So I installed it under my front seat. Here is what the final installation looks like:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. jDEQGnp4Ea9T4jswKqHEXLbmMmdC0pwic0gM1hNXRTcCZ9O9GA

A primary goal was to make sure it never got in the way of my feet, and I didn’t want it to be visible when looking in the car. And it is not:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. zdSnQWApzNcfnaXMvBDGhoUItjHJ-1uE6xaeluwgrWFK6nDqt

When I drive the car, the seat is all the way back. When my wife drives, she moves the seat forward so her cute little legs can reach the pedals. I noticed that when the seat moves, the space available for a subwoofer goes away. There is a rack under the seat that moves forward with the seat, which meant I could not mount the subwoofer to the floor and also allow the seat to move forward. So I had to figure out a way for the subwoofer to be mounted to the seat so it moves with the seat.

I wandered around Lowe’s looking for what I needed. I figured I could make a 14” drawer slide work, and found a metal bracket that I envisioned attaching to the end of the drawer slides, and flex tubing to cover the wire and very importantly, Gardner Bender Perforated Hanger Strap 32’ roll (way more than what I would need).

Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. 578LvHHgAPUeZTVnvjQHJR23VeLdSpRxdwxxAkEbZxMnwv1dLU

So I built up a little assembly of the drawer slides, brackets and hanger straps that would fit under the seat and allow the subwoofer to sit on top, and move with the seat. I painted some of the silver parts black, so they will be less noticeable.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. WzmyAK9wNpJKWR7ZeH7sHJAMCqLmg1nxLPzOEGVhWrEWqmwUCo

I mounted the black hanger strap connecting the slides in the picture below to the floor with screws into the seat mounting covers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. JUF4vVhTmFaEmvK3sQZj0C8FajJmE-wWIxWZhN3KTeaLCNivmM

With my first install, I used high strength velcro to secure the subwoofer to the sliders. However, I was not comfortable with the safety of that approach, so I used the metal mounting brackets that came with the subwoofer to screw attach them to the brackets. I had to bend them as shown in the picture so they could reach the holes in the brackets.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. 9aioIoLmhruuvOhHym7LoR8eGL_3hAwl6C3JGnLl6x2TlMqmtE

I tested the assembly in the car by moving the seat forward and backwards, and the brackets were catching on the edge of the floor mat and carpet. I have four jack pads that I thought I would install but decided against, so I took one of them, cut the post down, and stuck a chair foot pad on it to sit under the subwoofer and keep it from hitting. Now it slides super smoothly, not hitting anything.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. IVJoBsws3kGPb4PfRHolxKI87U4CNbjktoePs5-fiEAZhIPqHY

This picture shows the what it looks like before I installed the subwoofer. I attached the hanger straps to the seat so as the seat moves, the top of the sliders move along with the subwoofer.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. 6WWoLPZxO6ksTYDeDJW3JSwiWd41XUJXggM9JsuBPx1stbOei

The picture below is the finished installation. You can see there is clearance between the subwoofer and the seat. The seat in this picture is raised as high as it will go. I can lower it all the way to the bottom, where it does press against the subwoofer. But it still goes all the way down. Also you can see how the jack pad is supporting the subwoofer. If I move the seat 100% to the front, with the steering wheel basically pressed against the back of the seat (exaggeration), the pad does drop off the back of the subwoofer which causes some problems when moving the seat back again. So what? Nobody will ever, ever need to move the seat that far forward. It doesn’t even get close when I move the seat to my wife’s position.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. fqd5fwSZUjTAy5hgXlVnqt0Yr9Qq5kFmFA6Rvx7as3E7crCZIE

And lastly, here is a video of the finished project and the seat moving from my position, to my wife’s very cute position.

Sooo… how does it sound? Great! I know it does not go as low as the JL goes, and the volume it kicks out is limited. But here is the cool thing: it is under the seat so you can feel the bass. Also, even though it is not super loud, because it is under your seat it is more than loud enough. I am very happy with how it sounds and the way I was able to utilize unused space to improve the sound of the stock audio.

If you want to know how to tie in to the amp, refer to Mark’s thread. I used the subwoofer outputs from the amp in the rear of the car. I ran wires under the rear seats and under the door well covers to get to the front seat:

Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a subwoofer under the driver’s seat. This is how I did it. RI93nnJSr8NW1IUOnWxKDWY9OUSL1jWZhGM-Q23sxyedmLR56U

As you can see in the picture, I have a lot of excess wire. While I could have shortened it, the extra wire is helpful for preventing stress when the seat moves forward and backward.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding what I did! Enjoy your MME!

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
What keeps it from kicking out into the back of your legs/heels if you stop fast or get into an accident?

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What keeps it from kicking out into the back of your legs/heels if you stop fast or get into an accident?
It is bolted to the floor and the seat.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Nice job Mike. I was thinking of maybe mounting a sub under each of the front seats. Since I'm the only dog driving my car, I can probably mount straight to the floor. LOL. 🤪🐩

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Would the small Kicker sub not fit? Similar Q: why not install under the rear seats or in the trunk powered by the outlet back there?

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice job Mike. I was thinking of maybe mounting a sub under each of the front seats. Since I'm the only dog driving my car, I can probably mount straight to the floor. LOL. 🤪🐩
Actually I have considered doing this also. Twice the volume would be nice. But one is perfect for the driver and front passenger. The passenger can actually hear the subwoofer better than the driver.

There is plenty of space on the floor if the seat is always in the back position.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would the small Kicker sub not fit? Similar Q: why not install under the rear seats or in the trunk powered by the outlet back there?
There is no room under the rear seats.

I didn't want to take any storage space away from the hatch area.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I really like it! Since the Select has a different system, you think this could work on a Select?

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Doesn’t the GT already have a sub in the trunk?
My door panels are already starting to buzz. Don’t need anymore boom.

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
I really like it! Since the Select has a different system, you think this could work on a Select?
You can install a subwoofer in just about any car.

You need: subwoofer, amplifier, power to amp, speaker signal to amp.

There are smaller bits and pieces to make it work, but you can add a subwoofer to every car Ford has made in the last 50+ years, including a Mach E without the upgraded B&O sound system.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Go through Mark's thread, but I think the Select audio system does not have a subwoofer and amp in the rear of the car. You can still do it by tying into the audio wires for the front passenger door that are located in the door sill cover. Someone asked about that in his thread.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Premium has a 6x8 (or 5x7 hard to tell) 'sub' in the back right side. I wanted to pull it out and see it's ratings. I'd be more than happy just extending those wires to a 10 inch enclosure I'd build into the rear floor. But id it turns out to be like 100 watt 6ohm or something funky like that I wont mess with it. I'd go with something really basic like a low power Pioneer or JL w1 if they even still make those. I've been out of the industry for 20 years now.

Throw a bazooka tube in there lol!

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Premium has a 6x8 (or 5x7 hard to tell) 'sub' in the back right side. I wanted to pull it out and see it's ratings. I'd be more than happy just extending those wires to a 10 inch enclosure I'd build into the rear floor. But id it turns out to be like 100 watt 6ohm or something funky like that I wont mess with it. I'd go with something really basic like a low power Pioneer or JL w1 if they even still make those. I've been out of the industry for 20 years now.

Throw a bazooka tube in there lol!
Just throw this back there

You can tap off the sub wires for signal and use power from the 12V plug in the back.
Sponsored