Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We have all read that the door opener will break the door open after an ice storm. With all the wonderful winter weather, has anyone had ice freeze over the door buttons?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
We have all read that the door opener will break the door open after an ice storm. With all the wonderful winter weather, has anyone had ice freeze over the door buttons?
Yup. I pushed on the ice that was covering the button and the door busted through the ice when it popped open. I was impressed.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Yup. I pushed on the ice that was covering the button and the door busted through the ice when it popped open. I was impressed.
I thought I saw someone question the buttons being heated. There was a picture of an iced/snowed over Mach-E and the area around the door buttons were clear of any ice/snow.

Maybe it only works if you pre-condition/etc though?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I noticed the possible issue at the end of last winter - we had a bunch of sleet the piled up on the door handle/winglet and covered the button. Luckily it hadn't frozen solid yet, but I added a comment to that old "wish list" thread that fordpass should have a "release door" button just in that case.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I thought I saw someone question the buttons being heated. There was a picture of an iced/snowed over Mach-E and the area around the door buttons were clear of any ice/snow.

Maybe it only works if you pre-condition/etc though?
Yeah the door buttons and sonar sensors are heated it looks like, but I think the vehicle needs to be remote started or preconditioning

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Yeah the door buttons and sonar sensors are heated it looks like, but I think the vehicle needs to be remote started or preconditioning
Believe this is the case. As usual our first snow went to rain and then froze leaving about an inch thick ice crust. No sign of melting around the button.
I had not remote started or pre-con'd.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I have been waiting for a good iced over day to try this (and record it), but thankfully we haven't had one yet in MA.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
We had a ice storm that left about 1/4 inch on the MME. We most always precondition due to the ambient temps and low winter range. It did melt around the door button, but not all the way. broke off easily though. However, Used Ford Pass to open the back hatch and it tried but stopped. I thought it just hadn't gotten the command, so I hit the open button. It opened, but tore off the weatherstrip on the left side. They actually call it a sensor. The front end just slides in a slot, but the back has a push rubber tit that is kind of small. Ford did replace it no problem. Once they got it.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
The doors work very well in winter.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
I agree that the doors work well in winter. But the charge port door should open vertical to protect the connector from ice and rain. During the ice storm we went through the EVSE (GrizzlE Avalanche) faulted from the moisture in the charging plug. Glad I put the 110 GFIC next to the EVSE so I could dry it out with a heat gun.
Sponsored