Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
  • Banned
I recently picked up an OBDlink CX dongle working with ABRP. This app now gives lots of info including battery temperatures. Which brings up the question, what is an idea temperature for the battery to be for efficient driving and charging.
I am doing my first longer trip this weekend and really interested in seeing how it goes.

Ford does not seem to publish this info on the battery.
Sponsored

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I recently picked up an OBDlink CX dongle working with ABRP. This app now gives lots of info including battery temperatures. Which brings up the question, what is an idea temperature for the battery to be for efficient driving and charging.
I am doing my first longer trip this weekend and really interested in seeing how it goes.

... ideal is complicated... don't worry too much about it, but to take a stab at answering the question here goes.

For faster DCFC, the warmer the better up to around 40 degrees C. The cells can be warmer than that, (like 70C) but being real warm and at a high state of charge shortens their life so the car will not let them get that warm. Simply put, batteries can accept charge faster the warmer they are.

Ideally you want to DCFC only when the battery temp is above 0 degrees C to minimize plating. If you navigate to a DCFC station, the car will precondition (warm) the battery the last 20 miles or so. If the battery is real cold (below freezing) the BMS will only let you charge it fairly slowly.

For driving range, ideally you want around 25C ambient (warmer batteries can produce more electricity than cold ones) so the batteries are warm enough to have nearly full capacity, and at that temp you aren't cooling the battery much and or heating or cooling the cabin much so you get max range out of the car. A lot hotter then that and range goes down, and as you know cooler than that rage goes down a lot.

Enjoy the trip and don't worry about this.

OP
OP

Handsfree

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
  • Banned
... ideal is complicated... don't worry too much about it, but to take a stab at answering the question here goes.

For faster DCFC, the warmer the better up to around 40 degrees C. The cells can be warmer than that, (like 70C) but being real warm and at a high state of charge shortens their life so the car will not let them get that warm. Simply put, batteries can accept charge faster the warmer they are.

Ideally you want to DCFC only when the battery temp is above 0 degrees C to minimize plating. If you navigate to a DCFC station, the car will precondition (warm) the battery the last 20 miles or so. If the battery is real cold (below freezing) the BMS will only let you charge it fairly slowly.

For driving range, ideally you want around 25C ambient (warmer batteries can produce more electricity than cold ones) so the batteries are warm enough to have nearly full capacity, and at that temp you aren't cooling the battery much and or heating or cooling the cabin much so you get max range out of the car. A lot hotter then that and range goes down, and as you know cooler than that rage goes down a lot.

Enjoy the trip and don't worry about this.

OP
OP

Handsfree

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
  • Banned
Thanks for the comments, I am not so worried as I am curious. The more I experiment, the more I debunk the garbage said about EV on line. It makes me wonder if they actually have ever driven an EV before making comments.

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I get my best freeway range between 70-90F ambient.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Also, there have been proofs that 1pd on the freeway is not as efficient as 2pd due to 1pd slowing the car down more than 2pd allows for coasting. In my 2pd trips I did see a couple miles more range, particularly from downhill coasting vs letting it regen.

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also, there have been proofs that 1pd on the freeway is not as efficient as 2pd due to 1pd slowing the car down more than 2pd allows for coasting. In my 2pd trips I did see a couple miles more range, particularly from downhill coasting vs letting it regen.
In thinking about driving dynamics, it’s always seemed to me that would be the case. Probably the reason I’ve not tried 1PD in this car. I do use “L” when descending.
Sponsored