Ideal Outside Temperature to Start Charging

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Is there an ideal temperature to plug in the Mach-E and start charging in terms of battery health/longevity? Can't really find good information outside extreme conditions on either the cold or hot side. I suppose it depends on how fast someone is charging at because the higher the charge rate the more the battery will heat up.

But assuming a 32 amp charge rate, what would be the ideal temperature to plug in and start charging at? For example, I've been home most of this afternoon - temperatures will range from low 80s in the afternoon to low 60s in the middle of the night. I won't have to drive for around 24 hours so I have flexibility here and wondering if a certain time is best - for example, middle of the night when it will be low 60s.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
You quesrion relates to battery temperature. The mache has an active liquid cooling system to control internal temperatures. The vw ID4 is designed to keep it at74f. The mache? There was a thread on displaying battery temperature elsewhere but not sure anyone has successful done that.

Reactions: ARK

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Is there an ideal temperature to plug in the Mach-E and start charging in terms of battery health/longevity? Can't really find good information outside extreme conditions on either the cold or hot side. I suppose it depends on how fast someone is charging at because the higher the charge rate the more the battery will heat up.

But assuming a 32 amp charge rate, what would be the ideal temperature to plug in and start charging at? For example, I've been home most of this afternoon - temperatures will range from low 80s in the afternoon to low 60s in the middle of the night. I won't have to drive for around 24 hours so I have flexibility here and wondering if a certain time is best - for example, middle of the night when it will be low 60s.
I don't mind charging my car @32A in ambient temps below 100 degrees so I think you are fine anytime in your temp range.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The OP isn’t asking for a range of ok temps. They are asking if anyone has any idea what the “ideal” temp to charge at is. That’s a very different question.

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
My wild guess is around 70 degrees but yeah anything outside of extreme heat should be fine.
Sponsored