RedlegCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Mach-e, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Military
Country flag
OK, so I have used the Emporia charger a few times now and I have to say it works well. Was able to set it up in minutes by using the app to connect to my wifi and set it for max charge rate of 48A. Kind of a non-event to use it. Just plug it in and it ramps right to 11Kw and stays there, charging away until my car reaches my preferred level of charge and then stops. I can watch the charge curve on the app and stop it from the app if I want also. For $400, it seems like a bargain so far. I guess time will tell.
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it works well. Now I just need the car to come in!
Sponsored

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT 2021 Lariat PB, 2020 Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/dirt mover
Country flag
Congrats on the grabber blue! I love mine.

Before you spend too much time shopping for a charger, the FIRST thing you need to do is get your circuit installed to the garage. So get an electrician lined up now.

As others have said, all you really need is a 6/3 wire (with ground) on a 50amp breaker to a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Anything more than that isn't just overkill - it is expensive overkill.

Once you’ve got your electrical installed, you might find that you’re perfectly happy using the provided 240v mobile charger.
I think that is good advice, and would also allow you to use the Ford supplied charge cord at 32A as a backup (or, the Ford 32A charge cord might be good enough alone).

Just a minor note (not advocating for the hardwired solution), but if you do decide to hardwire, you only need 6/2 with ground for chargepoint (not 6/3), so that actually reduces the total cost. Also, you cannot use 6/2 Romex for hardwire (60A circuit, 48A use), must be THHN #6.
I have a question about charging the Mach E. Does the ChargePoint Homeflex or the Mach E software require a Nema 14-50 with neutral or can you use a Nema 6-50 without issues? I ordered and received a 6-50 by mistake. Thank you. Rick

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
I have a question about charging the Mach E. Does the ChargePoint Homeflex or the Mach E software require a Nema 14-50 with neutral or can you use a Nema 6-50 without issues? I ordered and received a 6-50 by mistake. Thank you. Rick
The car does not care. As long as the EVSE reports ready during the handshake the car will charge no issue.

If you have not run your charging circut yet, I would still suggest running four wires for a in case a NEMA 14-50 swap is ever needed, since the cost difference will be negligable. For now though, a NEMA 6-50 outlet charger will be just fine for your Mach E or any other EV that you may need to charge.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I’m not aware of any 240V EVSE that requires a neutral.

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT 2021 Lariat PB, 2020 Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/dirt mover
Country flag
The car does not care. As long as the EVSE reports ready during the handshake the car will charge no issue.

If you have not run your charging circut yet, I would still suggest running four wires for a in case a NEMA 14-50 swap is ever needed, since the cost difference will be negligable. For now though, a NEMA 6-50 outlet charger will be just fine for your Mach E or any other EV that you may need to charge.
Thank you. I already ran the 4 wire and installed the 14-50 receptacle, , but I will disconnect the neutral at both ends and just replace the receptacle and keep the Chargepoint 6-50.