First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR RWD Mach-E Star White Tech Pack Plus
Country flag
Hi all
So i have my mach e for a week and i just started my first charge at home.
3 phase so guess L2.
After 5 minutes the sound that was initially like a loud fridge now sounds like a air compressor. I mean extremely loud. All the time for 2 hours now and it's just 16 degrees Celsius, 60 F outside.
The front doorlike things are open so must be for cooling.
But with a sound like this I really get angry neighbors. Insane!
Anyone else having this?

Here is it:
https://youtube.com/shorts/Uw9PMAVdF5k?feature=share
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hi all
3 phase so guess L2.
After 5 minutes the sounds that was initially like a loud fridge now sounds like a air compressor. I mean extremely loud. All the time for 2 hours now and it's just 16 degrees Celsius, 60 F outside.
Anyone else having this?

Here is it:
Was the battery hot when you started charging? At home, I have charging delayed until about 23:00 so the car can cool down. Here's a DC fast charging session when the car was hot.

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was the battery hot when you started charging? At home, I have charging delayed until about 23:00 so the car can cool down. Here's a DC fast charging session when the car was hot.
No. Didnt use it for 1 hour before charging. The last time I drove it for more than 1 minute was 3 hours before. So its been off for quite some time. Also it was around 60 F, 16 Celsius during that time.

Last edited:

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Maybe it's cooling the electrons before they enter your battery.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I've heard that kind of noise when it has been sitting there all day before charging. If you stop it then start it again it will be quiet again, but not sure how long. Our LEAF has lost one bar of the battery capacity, I'm glad the MME has active cooling.

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've heard that kind of noise when it has been sitting there all day before charging. If you stop it then start it again it will be quiet again, but not sure how long.
Did that. It kept quiet for 5 minutes before starting to harass the neighborhood again:mad:

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
It shouldn't sound like that. It's almost as if the fan is hitting whatever shroud/case it is in. I would take it to the dealer before charging too many more times because your fan will wear and good luck getting a replacement in a timely manner. Just a suggestion, though.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
.....and they thought it needed a warning sound.....

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Hi all
3 phase so guess L2.
After 5 minutes the sound that was initially like a loud fridge now sounds like a air compressor. I mean extremely loud. All the time for 2 hours now and it's just 16 degrees Celsius, 60 F outside.
Anyone else having this?

Here is it:
I believe 3 phase L2 overseas is the same as 48A L2 here so that is the max charge speed for the on board charger. Sitting for an hour before charging might have contributed to some heat soak.

The noise in the video sounded normal to me (except for the creaking door to the garage). :)

Depending on your battery size, the temp should stabilize after a while and the noise should reduce.

Are you able to lower the charge speed on your EVSE? If so, then more frequent charges at slower speeds and shorter durations might be more pleasing for you.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It shouldn't sound like that. It's almost as if the fan is hitting whatever shroud/case it is in. I would take it to the dealer before charging too many more times because your fan will wear and good luck getting a replacement in a timely manner. Just a suggestion, though.
I agree that sounds much too loud. I also think it is worth having the dealer take a look at it.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Wouldn't he be in the same boat if something is wrong with the fans any how as the general policy is to just replace the part?

Also I am not sure anything is really wrong as some times just the service the car is on is enough to really affect how it sounds.
My car in my garage will sometimes sounds like that but out in a parking lot same fans turn on and not an insane amount of noise just because of the area around it.
I know I have when charging my car the vents open and it starts cooling and it is a lot loader than one would think. It will also stop turn off the fans from time to time as well. Did freak me out when I was going out to the beer/ drink fridge and I was infront of my mach E when it started cooling.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Wouldn't he be in the same boat if something is wrong with the fans any how as the general policy is to just replace the part?

Also I am not sure anything is really wrong as some times just the service the car is on is enough to really affect how it sounds.
My car in my garage will sometimes sounds like that but out in a parking lot same fans turn on and not an insane amount of noise just because of the area around it.
I know I have when charging my car the vents open and it starts cooling and it is a lot loader than one would think. It will also stop turn off the fans from time to time as well. Did freak me out when I was going out to the beer/ drink fridge and I was infront of my mach E when it started cooling.
Actually, no. Fan alignment is one issue that can damage the components and bearing/component wear or defect is a different thing. Alignment issues can be fixed if caught early, while wear/defects can't be fixed but both should be looked at before causing any other issues. With new cars and part shortages, it's best to limit replacing parts.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
We charge on a 32 amp charger. The car's cooling fans do come on from time to time and make some noise, but nothing like that in the video. Most of the time there is just a slight hum and you cannot even hear the fans.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
We charge on a 32 amp charger. The car's cooling fans do come on from time to time and make some noise, but nothing like that in the video. Most of the time there is just a slight hum and you cannot even hear the fans.
I have both at home 32A and 48A.
Fairly calm when using the 32A EVSE. Fans run but A/C hardly ever comes on.
48A is a totally different story. That usually causes the car to go straight to level 3 battery cooling. Pumps, Fans and Compressor. Usually quite loud. That is about the maximum charging rate that the battery can handle for 100% duty cycle charging.
Sponsored