ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR RWD Mach-E Star White Tech Pack Plus
Country flag
Any clue what the temporary solution will be?
No. The fact they dont mention anything sounds to me like they have no solid solution yet. Ford USA reacted in this thread saying it will likely come in the form of an OTA update. Dont think Im going to have a Dutch dealer fiddling around with me car just yet
Sponsored

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
are you sure the compressor was running or was it just the cooling fan making the noise? I wouldn't expect the battery chiller to be needed for L1 charging
In retrospect, it was probably more fan noise then the whine of a compressor. It was so awfully loud though.

I tried it again last night on L1. Low 80s, less humid. It definitely cycled more on and off. There were moments when it was clearly running but at a much more livable dB. I am just as surprised as everyone else that it would be needed at all for L1.

lowgun19

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E RWD Premium
Country flag
Hey Everyone,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are aware some customers are experiencing high fan speeds/noise during high power L2 charging. Know this is normal operation and perfectly safe. We are actively working to develop a revised calibration to reduce the fan speed/noise during L2 charge events.
In the meantime, Mustang Mach-E owners have found by reducing their L2 charger power to ~8kW (240V @ 32A or equivalent) also reduces the fan noise.
Ford will be releasing more information on a revised fan calibration once we complete testing.
Stay tuned.
Yep. I've had my MME for two weeks and when plugged into my Chargepoint at 60 Amps this thing sounds like Airwolf. Dropping it down to 50 amps in the Chargepoint app it still wakes up the neighbors. At 40 amps, it's the lower, more acceptable fan noise...but not a huge fan (no pun intended) of losing all the charging power of my 60 amp circuit. If it's safe, I'll put it back on the 60 amps and just inform everyone that the car will not explode (we hope).

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep. I've had my MME for two weeks and when plugged into my Chargepoint at 60 Amps this thing sounds like Airwolf. Dropping it down to 50 amps in the Chargepoint app it still wakes up the neighbors. At 40 amps, it's the lower, more acceptable fan noise...but not a huge fan (no pun intended) of losing all the charging power of my 60 amp circuit. If it's safe, I'll put it back on the 60 amps and just inform everyone that the car will not explode (we hope).
It the circuit the Chargepoint is using rated for 70A or 80A? If not 60A will overload the wiring and risk a house fire.

50A would be fine if the Chargepoint is on a 60A circuit because the Mach-E can only use 48A max on L2.

If you are plugging the ChargePoint into a 14-50 outlet than 40A is the max you can run without risking overloading the circuit.

lowgun19

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It the circuit the Chargepoint is using rated for 70A or 80A? If not 60A will overload the wiring and risk a house fire.

50A would be fine if the Chargepoint is on a 60A circuit because the Mach-E can only use 48A max on L2.

If you are plugging the ChargePoint into a 14-50 outlet than 40A is the max you can run without risking overloading the circuit.
I have the NEMA 6-50 version hard wired into a 60amp circuit which should yield a 48amp max load. When reviewing the Chargepoint app while charging at this setting it does indicate 11.32kw...which I believe is over the max for the charger in the car (11 kw).

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Why would you need that fast a charge at home? The faster the charge, the shorter your battery will survive.

lowgun19

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why would you need that fast a charge at home? The faster the charge, the shorter your battery will survive.
I guess "fast" is a relative term. 35 miles an hour at 48 amps or 21 miles an hour at 32 amps.

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It takes about 6.5 hours to fully charge the battery at 16 amps/ 3 phase. So thats 6.5 hours of noise that keeps the neighbors awake. Whats your point? The car should be able to handle this just like nissans, Renaults and teslas. As discussed in the previous 13 pages, this an BIG issue for Europeans.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
It takes about 6.5 hours to fully charge the battery at 16 amps/ 3 phase. So thats 6.5 hours of noise that keeps the neighbors awake. Whats your point? The car should be able to handle this just like nissans, Renaults and teslas. As discussed in the previous 13 pages, this an BIG issue for Europeans.
The point is obvious...cutting the charge rate down greatly reduces the battery cooling noise. During the day, nobody's going to object, but at night, while people are trying to sleep, noise is important. But what point is there to charging at a high nighttime rate? You don't NEED a high rate to fully charge your car during sleep time, and a higher rate shortens the life of your battery...needlessly.

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The point is obvious...cutting the charge rate down greatly reduces the battery cooling noise. During the day, nobody's going to object, but at night, while people are trying to sleep, noise is important. But what point is there to charging at a high nighttime rate? You don't NEED a high rate to fully charge your car during sleep time, and a higher rate shortens the life of your battery...needlessly.
Thats all valid but as my GF drives a Leaf and so we sometimes need to charge fast in order to have both our cars fully charged for the next day, the faster 11kw, 16amps, 3phase charging is really necessary sometimes. But hey, both Ford and most Europeans acknowledge its a non-spec issue that needs resolving, Im eagerly awaiting a solution that resolves this factory fault.

Ronald

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Peel P50
Country flag
Thats all valid but as my GF drives a Leaf and so we sometimes need to charge fast in order to have both our cars fully charged for the next day, the faster 11kw, 16amps, 3phase charging is really necessary sometimes. But hey, both Ford and most Europeans acknowledge its a non-spec issue that needs resolving, Im eagerly awaiting a solution that resolves this factory fault.
Totally agree, Ford needs to fix this ASAP. I cannot cut power because the only option I have is public charging.
Trying to charge every day so the car is only at the charger for two hours at the most and done before nighttime.

Also, changed the name of my MME in Fordpass to Airworf. ?
Sponsored