Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://www.greencarreports.com/new..._term=0_7e18d5fd93-e7890c8dc2-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]

IRS: 2023 EV tax credit needs reporting from automakers, sellers
STEPHEN EDELSTEIN DECEMBER 13, 2022

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on Monday released an introduction for the full eligibility rules for the revamped federal EV tax credit, and it looks like automakers—as well as sellers—will have to submit a lot of reports.

The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) re-upped the $7,500 credit, but added new requirements for American assembly and American battery content to qualify for the full amount. It was immediately apparent that EVs not assembled in the U.S. wouldn't qualify for the revamped credit, but automakers have been waiting for a full list of requirements to be drafted.

A document released by the IRS details the reporting requirements for automakers and suppliers, marking a first step toward clarifying the rules and which EVs will qualify for the tax credit going forward. The IRS noted back in October that the new rules were getting fast-tracked—and here it's clear it's setting the mechanism to start with the new 2023 tax year. A bill has been seeking to delay the tax credit's sourcing rules, but it appears to be stalled, eliminating one potential roadblock to implementation.

mercedes-benz-alabama-battery-factory_100832267_l.jpg
Mercedes-Benz Alabama battery factory

According to the documents, automakers will need to enter into a written agreement with the IRS for monthly reporting on the battery capacity, gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), and perhaps more, for each potentially qualifying vehicle produced, as well as submit vehicle identification numbers (VINs) for those vehicles.

The new tax credit rules also require that certain "critical minerals" be mined or processed in the U.S., or in a country with which the U.S. has a free trade agreement. Automakers will have to prove this to the IRS as well, along with North America manufacturing or assembly for a certain percentage of the value of battery and motor components.

In addition to manufacturer reporting requirements, the IRS also plans to make sellers responsible for providing paperwork on VIN, battery capacity, amount paid, and more, for any buyer claiming the credit of up to $4,000 on used EVs—which was added by the IRA.

olet-bolt-euv-and-ev-production-starts_100791789_l.jpg
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV and EV production starts

Despite the many reporting requirements, the reaction from industry stakeholders wasn't overtly negative.

"We welcome today’s guidance from Treasury, as it provides the EV industry with further insight into the clean vehicle credit rule-making process and shows the administration’s commitment to involving the private sector," said Joe Britton, executive director of the Zero Emission Transportation Association (ZETA), a policy and advocacy trade group representing the industry around EVs, in a statement.

One takeaway is that battery capacity is going to need to made more apparent by EV makers in the U.S. market—no longer hidden, as Tesla has done since the introduction of the Model 3, instead using confusing terms like Mid Range.

For now, you can still buy an EV with a minimum of fuss this year and claim the tax credit—but only if it's American-made.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Here's the IRS document the article references:

Attachments

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
I'm an accountant who does my own taxes and I'm really curious to see how my tax software handles my Mach E that gets grandfathered in with the old rules. I have a feeling it's going to be more complicated than it should be.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm an accountant who does my own taxes and I'm really curious to see how my tax software handles my Mach E that gets grandfathered in with the old rules. I have a feeling it's going to be more complicated than it should be.
For your 2022 taxes? Shouldn't really be any different than in previous years.

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For your 2022 taxes? Shouldn't really be any different than in previous years.
Didn't the law kick in midway through the year though? My gut feeling is that the software is going to want to throw me in for the new rules and I'm going to have to hunt for the way to override and use the old rules that I'm grandfathered in for.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Didn't the law kick in midway through the year though? My gut feeling is that the software is going to want to throw me in for the new rules and I'm going to have to hunt for the way to override and use the old rules that I'm grandfathered in for.
No. The old rules stay in effect through 2022. The only exception is that cars built outside of North America don't qualify if they were purchased after the IRA was signed into law.

As an accountant, I'm not sure what tax software you use. But basic software like Turbo Tax won't have any problem with this, so I wouldn't think yours will either.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the new rules are effective Jan 1 but I may be wrong.

Celtic4

First Name
Seamus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD SR, Kia Optima
Country flag
I ordered my 23 MY MME on August 30th and just took delivery of it this weekend December 10th so I think I am still ok under the old rules and under the new rules given the car is made in Mexico ( that part having kicked in right away) to get the full $7,500 tax credit. Is that correct?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered my 23 MY MME on August 30th and just took delivery of it this weekend December 10th so I think I am still ok under the old rules and under the new rules given the car is made in Mexico ( that part having kicked in right away) to get the full $7,500 tax credit. Is that correct?
Since you purchased it this year, and it was made in North America, you’re fine.

Celtic4

First Name
Seamus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD SR, Kia Optima
Country flag
Since you purchased it this year, and it was made in North America, you’re fine.
Thanks for that. That was what I thought. Plus in Illinois there is a $4,000 rebate programme. I have sent in my paperwork on that already. No guarantee I will get that. But that would be huge if I did get that on top of the $7,500 tax credit which given it will be on my taxes next spring means I get that pretty quickly too.

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Huh you're right. I could've swore there was more than the final assembly part taking effect midyear. But now that I reread the IRS site, I stand corrected. Don't tell my clients that I got something wrong lol

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
Huh you're right. I could've swore there was more than the final assembly part taking effect midyear. But now that I reread the IRS site, I stand corrected. Don't tell my clients that I got something wrong lol
are you using Lacerte by the way?