mathnerd88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Acura MDX
Country flag
Hey guys, my fiancee took the 2021 Mach E GT and was coming home from work in a middle of a snowstorm. She lost control of the car and she hit a utility pole, snapping the pole in half. Airbags deployed. She is fine but has some bruising. She's lucky and the Mach E did a good job protecting her.

What do you guys think? Totaled or no? Insurance Adjuster said it would need to be 80% of the ACV before they consider it totaled. The car only had 9k miles before the accident. What are your thoughts on estimated damages?

Sucks since I only had this vehicle for less than a year.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is it Totaled or No? IMG_9183

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is it Totaled or No? IMG_6585
Ford Mustang Mach-E Is it Totaled or No? IMG_9184

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I’m glad she’s ok. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t totaled. How’s the battery pack? If there’s any damage there, that’s at least $25K in material right away.

minders

First Name
Mindee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD ER Space White, 21 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Housewife & Student
Country flag
So sorry to hear about this, but so glad she's ok! Sending healing thoughts her way. Hope you get it sorted out soon. I agree with everyone so far, it doesn't look good. Best of luck.

OP
OP

mathnerd88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Acura MDX
Country flag
I’m glad she’s ok. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t totaled. How’s the battery pack? If there’s any damage there, that’s at least $25K in material right away.
The car doors won't open nor there is any power anywhere. It may have turned off due to the accident, but not sure if the battery actually got damaged.

The car is worth around $52k, so the car would need slightly more than $40k in damage to be considered totaled.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The car doors won't open nor there is any power anywhere. It may have turned off due to the accident, but not sure if the battery actually got damaged.

The car is worth around $52k, so the car would need slightly more than $40k in damage to be considered totaled.
That could be because of a lot of factors - damage to the LV system, a breaker tripped / fuse blown in the LV system, damage to the 12 V battery, or something else entirely. Obviously, don’t go by armchair internet amateur diagnosis, but as I said, I’d be shocked it if wasn’t totaled and I suspect there’s HV battery damage (but that’s just my own guess).
And if the battery is gone, just looking at the pictures, there’s easily $15K of parts and labor there. The parking bollard that attacked my car did well over $2K of “damage”.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
This car looks totaled to me. I wouldn’t want it repaired for me to drive. Do you think a local body shop is capable to fix it? Do you think your Ford dealer can fix it?

My 2 year old Hybrid Accord had this front-end accident in 2017 and it was “totaled”. Your damage looks worse.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is it Totaled or No? A20A4183-D494-45AE-8483-205240724528

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Hey guys, my fiancee took the 2021 Mach E GT and was coming home from work in a middle of a snowstorm. She lost control of the car and she hit a utility pole, snapping the pole in half. Airbags deployed. She is fine but has some bruising. She's lucky and the Mach E did a good job protecting her.

What do you guys think? Totaled or no? Insurance Adjuster said it would need to be 80% of the ACV before they consider it totaled. The car only had 9k miles before the accident. What are your thoughts on estimated damages?

Sucks since I only had this vehicle for less than a year.

It sure looks totaled to me, glad she is ok. On a good note, my local dealer, Beach Ford, has that exact same car for sale. It is the exact color and matches right down to the wheels. Oh, and it is msrp, 71k and change.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I am so glad to hear nobody was seriously hurt. I would be very shocked if it’s not totaled. The airbags alone are several thousand in damage, headlights about $4K, and that’s before any body, frame damage, and front motor damage. I can’t even imagine how much the front motor unit runs and that would not include some of the other HV parts up front that I am sure are not cheap.

If they do try to repair it, I would imagine the repair time will be VERY long as some parts will be hard to come by and there will be a big learning curve trying to put everything back together and having all the computer, HV, and LV systems all be harmony after all the repairs are completed.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE ordered
Country flag
It's 100% totaled. Glad she's okay and the safety systems did their job. As much as it sucks, and hurts, a Mach e is a good car to be in in a crash.

Regarding nothing working, I'm pretty sure that's by design. It senses a collision and shuts everything down. I'm certainly not an expert on the matter.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Wow, she hit that pole basically dead center. Great test of the front crash beam, hitting a narrow object at center span is the most difficult test for it, especially with no engine behind it to help absorb energy (just empty frunk space). The welds ripped but it's still mostly intact, and appears to have completely arrested the impact before it reached the firewall. It probably absorbed a lot of energy bending the side members and fenders inward as it folded. The wheels still look centered in the fender arches so probably minimal movement of the lower subframe. Overall a good performance.

Since the subframe didn't move, my guess is the high voltage battery will be virtually unscathed, unless it got scraped on the bottom by debris during the excursion.

Unfortunately the damage to the front side members is going to be almost impossible to repair properly. Due to the compromised front crash structure, this car will very likely be totaled. Sorry for your loss. :(
Sponsored