Is this a windshield defect or wear and tear?

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I just noticed this today while washing the car. It seems to be on the outer layer of glass. I don't know how long it has been there. Does anything point to defect that should/would be covered under warranty? or am I just going to hear that this was a rock on the road and I'll need to replace myself?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is this a windshield defect or wear and tear? 20220715_130225
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yikes, that is a crack and you'll need a windshield replacement. Can't see the other end but unless a rock did it, it should be covered under warranty.

Mach Tuch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order 23 MME GT, 08 Mustang GT Vert, 19 Audi Q7
Country flag
Windshield cracks are not covered under warranty in my experience. That would be an insurance claim if you have glass coverage.

Rolling ions

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Rwd, Tacoma
Country flag
I just noticed this today while washing the car. It seems to be on the outer layer of glass. I don't know how long it has been there. Does anything point to defect that should/would be covered under warranty? or am I just going to hear that this was a rock on the road and I'll need to replace myself?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is this a windshield defect or wear and tear? 20220715_130225

They will do a pen test to determine. I will tell you I had the EXACT same crack and it occurred while I was in the car parked on a hot day. I know with 100% certainty it was a stress crack. They still refused the warranty. I filled the crack since at the time the windshield recall was out but dealers didn't have the material. Crack filled and never expanded or returned.
You can try for warranty might get better luck then me. Had I not been on car sitting I would have assumed rock. "Ford dealer said must have been bird flying over that dropped something" good luck

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach Ex Iced Bue, 23 Lightning Ext SW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks like a heat stress crack, probably a glass defect or the edge was chipped when installed. I'd be there when it's removed. 20yrs owning a glass shop.

OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
Looks like a heat stress crack, probably a glass defect or the edge was chipped when installed. I'd be there when it's removed. 20yrs owning a glass shop.
Why do you recommend being there? Thanks for the advice.