Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
But again, your claim that regen and coasting are equally efficient is false.
I never made that claim. I said that regen is a more efficient way to slow down than coasting.
Sponsored

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
I never made that claim. I said that regen is a more efficient way to slow down than coasting.
Again the goal of coasting not to slow down. it's to go as far as you can with each acceleration. When you don't have an obstacle such as on highway you want this. If you have an obstacle you need to slow down for, you want regen to do it to avoid friction brakes

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Ok, thatā€™s even more false.

I used this example before, but Iā€™ll try again with more detail.

Go 100 mph. Turn the car off and put it in neutral. Coast to a stop. Letā€™s assume you travel 1000 feet. You used? ZERO electricity to do so.

Now go 100 mph. Use regen to stop at exactly 500 feet.

Do you think the energy captured in that 500 feet is enough to get you another 500 feet for a net zero electricity used?

Spoiler- the answer is no. Why? Because regen isnā€™t 100% efficient in recapturing power. If itā€™s 80%, you would make it 400 feet (900 total). 50%, and you would only make it 250 (750 total).

For what you said above to be true, regen would have to be more than 100% efficient (impossible).

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Ok, thatā€™s even more false.

I used this example before, but Iā€™ll try again with more detail.

Go 100 mph. Turn the car off and put it in neutral. Coast to a stop. Letā€™s assume you travel 1000 feet. You used? ZERO electricity to do so.
OK, but under what circumstances would you do that? It's a poor test designed to prove an irrelevant point.

If you need to slow down from 100 to 0, you are better off doing it with regen than by coasting. If you use regen, you will slow down faster and reclaim some energy. If you coast all the way, you don't reclaim any energy, and you've run four stop lights and splattered three pedestrians. In actual real world driving, using regen is more efficient than not. Reclaiming any of the energy lost by slowing down is always better than reclaiming none.

I'm happy to leave the conversation at that. Any other scenario i impractical and, frankly, silly.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Again the goal of coasting not to slow down. it's to go as far as you can with each acceleration. When you don't have an obstacle such as on highway you want this. If you have an obstacle you need to slow down for, you want regen to do it to avoid friction brakes
I guess that's my confusion. I drive more actively, I guess. I would never "coast" in this way. Seems totally pointless.

/guess I wasn't happy to leave it just yet.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This has officially become the stupidest thread in the history of all recorded time. I am clicking the "unwatch" button now.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
OK, but under what circumstances would you do that? It's a poor test designed to prove an irrelevant point.

If you need to slow down from 100 to 0, you are better off doing it with regen than by coasting. If you use regen, you will slow down faster and reclaim some energy. If you coast all the way, you don't reclaim any energy, and you've run four stop lights and splattered three pedestrians. In actual real world driving, using regen is more efficient than not. Reclaiming any of the energy lost by slowing down is always better than reclaiming none.

I'm happy to leave the conversation at that. Any other scenario i impractical and, frankly, silly.
The point isnā€™t that we would nor should drive this way.

The point is that coasting is more efficient.

If itā€™s irrelevant, not sure why youā€™re arguing against it.

In actual real world drivingā€¦ā€¦. None of this matters. Iā€™ve said this multiple times. You can coast or regen in any mode. How you drive (slow acceleration and minimal braking) determines efficiency.

And yes, the more you coast, the more efficient you are. Itā€™s hypermiling 101.

Do I drive like that? Hell no! But for efficiency obsessed hypermilersā€¦ā€¦. Every electron matters.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Do I drive like that? Hell no! But for efficiency obsessed hypermilersā€¦ā€¦. Every electron matters.
I hear you. I just can't get my head around how someone could do it, practically, to increase range. But, to each is or her own, I guess.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
What, a handful of cantankerous geeks arguing physics isn't thrilling? Say it ain't so!
It's an argument about nothing. Everyone is basically saying the same thing to argue their point. And now, here I am, arguing about arguing in a thread that is arguing about nothing.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
It's an argument about nothing. Everyone is basically saying the same thing to argue their point. And now, here I am, arguing about arguing in a thread that is arguing about nothing.
Welcome to the club! Here's your hat, have a drink.
Sponsored