John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E
Occupation
self Employed
Country flag
Select AWD standard range -how can 2 motors be same horsepower as single motor but more torque? https://assassinracing.com/tech/0-60calc.html plugged weight 4400# and zero to sixty 5.2 seconds and this site calculates 400 horsepower not 265.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
HP is limited by battery output. The 4 non-X makes more low end torque because the battery can out-pace the motors at low speed, but the output falls off on the SR battery to the point that the motors are not able to make Any more HP on the top end than the single motor. The extended range battery has a higher output so the 4X makes more HP and torque than the single motor.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Select AWD standard range -how can 2 motors be same horsepower as single motor but more torque? https://assassinracing.com/tech/0-60calc.html plugged weight 4400# and zero to sixty 5.2 seconds and this site calculates 400 horsepower not 265.
Most calculators for 0-60, 1/8th, and 1/4 mile that you find are geared toward ICE vehicles and many are old enough that they don’t even acknowledge modern DCTs or Automatics with more than 5-6 gears. Let alone EVs with awd and instant hp/torque.

As for the 266/428 hp/tq for the SR awd vs. the 346/428 for the ER awd, I’m not sure if it is a motor limitation or Ford intentionally cutting motor output due to the smaller battery pack.

OP
OP

johntork

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E
Occupation
self Employed
Country flag
I traded in 16 challenger RT. 0-60 5.1 seconds. 4100 lbs 375 hp 410 lbs torque good automatic. 266 hp in the AWD select Mach-E just doesn’t compute. I think it is smoke and mirrors to push buying the extended range And justifying premium price. Are the motors in front any different mechanically? Or is it like Tesla 3 AWD extended range being almost identical to the performance? Difference just related to software and programming. Is the select AWD SR the value leader?

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Is the select AWD SR the value leader?
Depends what you "value".

The AWD SR likely varies in performance the most from temperature conditions and the state of the battery charge as the motors are capable of using power quicker than the battery can provide. The stated numbers are just a point on a power curve from the batteries.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I traded in 16 challenger RT. 0-60 5.1 seconds. 4100 lbs 375 hp 410 lbs torque good automatic. 266 hp in the AWD select Mach-E just doesn’t compute. I think it is smoke and mirrors to push buying the extended range And justifying premium price. Are the motors in front any different mechanically? Or is it like Tesla 3 AWD extended range being almost identical to the performance? Difference just related to software and programming. Is the select AWD SR the value leader?
Many articles point out that HP really isn't a very apt measure for EVs. Torque is better. But from a practical standpoint, 0-60 is even better if relative power is a big factor for you. 0-60 should account for the relative differences from the weight of the extra motor if added, and the weight of the ER battery pack if added.

AWD SR 5.2
AWD ER 4.8
GT 3.8
GT Performance 3.5

Whether AWD SR is the value leader is subjective. $5000 for the ER battery is a lot of money. I paid it, but not to get slightly better 0-60 times. I got it for road trip range. Personally, ANY Mach-E model would have had more than enough power for my tastes.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The ER has 4 modules wired in parallel, the SR 3. The ER can therefore push more current at the same voltage. It isn't a scam, trick, or marketing decision. It's the same reason the ER can max DCFC at 150kw vs 115kw for the SR. On the AWD SR the motors aren't the limiting factor, because the battery can't push them to their maximum output.

You can't use a calculator for an ICE to do computations for an EV. The characteristics are completely different.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<snip>
You can't use a calculator for an ICE to do computations for an EV. The characteristics are completely different.
Very true. ICE powerplants other than turbines have volumetric efficiency to deal with that simply isn’t part of the equation for electric. Depending on the engine speed, volumetric efficiency for a naturally-aspirated engine starts off very poor and increases up to a point that is usually somewhat below the engine speed at which maximum power is made (depending on intake tract tuning and exhaust tract tuning). Electric motors are at more or less the same efficiency through their operating range. Instant torque At the bottom end will make an EV of less max power run like an ICE vehicle of a higher max power. One of the tricks in building a race ICE engine is in tuning the system to make as much power as possible through the expecter operating range at a given track. That’s why we change headres, intakes, and camming from track to track.
Sponsored