Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
As some of you are already aware, I own and operate a Driver Education Business here in Omaha Nebraska. I have instructed Drivers Ed. since 1986 and I went on my own back in 1998. I have had many cars throughout the years but this is the first EV that I have had. I ordered my MME Premium AWD ER Grabber Blue back in November of 21. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I was going to use if for my School or not. I have decided to pull the trigger and I am going to use it next Summer for my program. I have 6 drivers (me included as one of them) and I need an "extra" car for the Summer because of the larger number of students taking said course. (my wife is going to drive it during the non-summer months) I usually instruct around a 1000 + students a year. I most likely will "test it out" with a student or two before that time. I just installed the brake and the decals on the car. I do all of the setting up of the cars myself. The decals on this one was challenging to say the least along with the installation of the brake.

I would guess that I won't be able to use 1 pedal drive when the students are driving but I am sure there will be some that have driven Tesla's and other EV's that we may use the 1 pedal option. I am excited and I will fill you in as time goes on if this was a smart idea or not?

Just a side note, I also installed Solar Panels to my roof of the house. It is awesome in knowing that the Sun is "driving my business". :cool:

https://delongsdriving.com/

Cover Pic.jpg

20221026_091720.jpg

20221026_091654.jpg

20221026_090402.jpg

20221026_091747.jpg

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I expect a car like this will be awesome for your business! Do you have any vehicles with a manual transmission still? I'm worried this will be a lost art, with the younger generation.

OP
OP
DennisD

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
I expect a car like this will be awesome for your business! Do you have any vehicles with a manual transmission still? I'm worried this will be a lost art, with the younger generation.
In all of my years of instructing Driver's Education, we have never used a manual transmission vehicle (my company or the ones I worked for). I agree that this is important to know but I usually phrase it this way. Imagine teaching your toddler to run before they start walking. 😧

I personally think that once you know the basics, then and only then should you attempt to drive a manual.

I only instruct the teenagers that are just starting to learn.

There is another School here in Omaha that exclusively instructs with a manual for adults. I have entertained that but I can't imagine how many clutches I would go through. 😉

In any event, hopefully you are correct and this will "drive" my business. Pun intended!!😝

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I'm teaching my son in the GT right now. Other car is a MYP, so same performance. It's a little scary, because if he mash the go pedal by mistake, there is no delay in shooting the MME forward unlike a low power gas car. Very little room for error.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm teaching my son in the GT right now. Other car is a MYP, so same performance. It's a little scary, because if he mash the go pedal by mistake, there is no delay in shooting the MME forward unlike a low power gas car. Very little room for error.
Also if he mashes the pedal he might burn out your HVBJB, be careful

OP
OP
DennisD

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
Also if he mashes the pedal he might burn out your HVBJB, be careful
Number 1- If he mashes the pedal, I will then mash his head. JK
Number 2- This car was manufactured in August of this year, hopefully the HVBJB will not fail. 🤕

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Number 1- If he mashes the pedal, I will then mash his head. JK
Number 2- This car was manufactured in August of this year, hopefully the HVBJB will not fail. 🤕
can the brakes overcome the massive instant torque of the Mach E?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Manual trannies are the basics. That’s what I learned to drive on. 🤪🐩

One of your pix doesn’t have your license plate blacked out. I don’t black mine put since it’s already black. 😊🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E It's Official, Drivers Education is now Offered with a Mach-E !! 65880DCA-9EEE-4116-9F4C-095F61827BE6

All joking aside, this is a very cool thing. Glad you’re pioneering this foryour students! 😊🐩

OP
OP
DennisD

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
Manual trannies are the basics. That’s what I learned to drive on. 🤪🐩

One of your pix doesn’t have your license plate blacked out. I don’t black mine put since it’s already black. 😊🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E It's Official, Drivers Education is now Offered with a Mach-E !! 65880DCA-9EEE-4116-9F4C-095F61827BE6

All joking aside, this is a very cool thing. Glad you’re pioneering this foryour students! 😊🐩
I noticed that shortly after posting it that I didn't black out one of the pics. Oh well......... 😏

I also noticed that one of the stripes "lifted" on the front slightly after I took the pics and got back home. I simply stuck it back and heated it with a blow dryer. That seems to fix most decals lifting. It was annoying not noticing it until I was home looking at the pics. 🙄 I just put them on last night and that happens some times.

For those that are curious, the decals cost a grand total of $150 for the side decals and $75 for the stripes on the hood and backside. It took around 5 hours to do the whole car. I used some "high end" decals (I know the owner of the Sign Shop fairly well) and he gave me a real good deal.

I have placed all the decals on all of my cars but this was by far the most challenging. It is not fun at the time of doing it but it sure is gratifying once it is done.

I also had a local fellow that is putting out a Mustang book this Spring and this car will be in that book as well. I just stumbled upon him and he asked if he could take pics of the car (before the decals were on). I will post that as soon as the book is published this Spring.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Are you going to let them use Active Park assist to do parallel parking? 😆

I could see driving the Mach-E could be pretty overwhelming for new drivers with all the tech, especially if they come from families with older vehicles with manual controls and a turn key.

You could show them BlueCruise, they’ll probably be amazed. Do you have a chapter in your curriculum about managing ADAS? That’s going to be an increasing part of driving so I think you should talk about the limitations and what they systems can and can’t do. A lot of the young people think they can rely on technology to solve all their problems so they don’t have to learn or work as hard.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium 4X, ready for the Macan EV Turbo
Country flag
Imagine teaching your toddler to run before they start walking. 😧

I personally think that once you know the basics, then and only then should you attempt to drive a manual.
I find this comment fascinating. European guy here in my early 40s, where I come from automatic cars were the exception and manual shifting the rule… and even today, a large portion of cars remain manual.

Everyone I know back home learnt to drive with manual shifting, that was/is the norm. There is very little science in learning how to shift gears and a habit one learns within a couple lessons.

The differences in perception (culture?) are very interesting to me. :)

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I find this comment fascinating. European guy here in my early 40s, where I come from automatic cars were the exception and manual shifting the rule… and even today, a large portion of cars remain manual.

Everyone I know back home learnt to drive with manual shifting, that was/is the norm. There is very little science in learning how to shift gears and a habit one learns within a couple lessons.

The differences in perception (culture?) are very interesting to me. :)
When I took my Young Drivers of Canada course, manual transmission vehicles were all that they offered. I am glad I learned that life skill early on. I especially enjoyed my manual xmsn on my 1990 5.0 LX!!! Sometimes a little too much.
Sponsored