Smurf

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus SC430
Country flag
Can’t blame the salesman on that. That one’s on me.
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ok, one more, more thing: does anyone know if you can put a roof rack on the car? At first glance, it doesn’t look like you can.
Congrats! I think everyone else covered the other points (Your dealer salesman is absolutely wrong).

Regarding a roof rack, I think for now your best option is going to be something like this, though I do believe we will see frame mounted ones in the future.

https://www.seasucker.com/

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hi all! I picked up my Mach e from the dealer yesterday. It almost didn’t happen because after the salesperson finished showing me everything, he showed me the charging status and it said 144 range at 90% charge. When i questioned it he said the range of the car is only 170. after a minor meltdown on my part, he asked his coworkers, who said he was wrong, that the range is 270, and it was only because the car was sitting on the lot with the power on. It made sense, so I calmed down. but having said that, I want to share this info: He kept telling me the dealership has nothing to do with selling me this car, and even if I wanted to cancel the transaction, it’s too late because I didn’t buy the car from them; I bought it from Ford. Any beef I have with the car would have to be taken up with Ford Motor Company. In essence, the dealer has washed its hands of everything, and if I have a problem, I’d have to duke it out with Ford’s attorneys. Still missing the dealership sales model? Not that duking it out with a dealership is any more pleasant.
270 miles range for the Extended Range AWD (E4X). Other configurations have different range. The initial range reading on the lot is not realistic. You need to reset the electric driving history.

Some sales people at dealerships will lie through their teeth. You could have walked away from this at any time. Glad you didn't, though. You're going to love the car.

There was a creaking noise coming from the seat belt’s attachment to the door frame. Minor, but I’m spoiled after have a Lexus for many years. No creaking noises from my SC430.
Have not heard that in mine. The service dept. should be able to get rid of that.

On to charging. I read somewhere that is takes 50kwh to charge a Tesla and 150kwh to charge the Mach e. That doesn’t seem right. It’s triple the time/cost. I don’t understand how the math works on this, but my minimal charge of 18kwh gave me 53 miles of range and cost $3. Extending it out, That’s about $15 for a full charge. Using the same formula, it would cost around $8 to charge the Tesla. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.
No. The Mach E has either 68 or 88 kWh of usable battery depending on if you bought a standard or extended range. The energy required to charge the battery will be a few percent more than that due to heat losses.

One more thing: On the big screen, if you connect your phone, your entire phone book is there for your passenger to snoop around in. Plus, it uses some formula to offer a suggestion on whom you should call. So you can forget about keeping anything private—unless you turn off Bluetooth on your phone before you get into the car, in which case, you won’t be able to call anyone hands free.
There are lots of options for controlling these sorts of things if you wish to.

Ok, one more, more thing: does anyone know if you can put a roof rack on the car? At first glance, it doesn’t look like you can.
Not yet but Thule and Yakima will most likely have adapter feet available soon.

OP
OP

Smurf

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus SC430
Country flag
Congrats! I think everyone else covered the other points (Your dealer salesman is absolutely wrong).

Regarding a roof rack, I think for now your best option is going to be something like this, though I do believe we will see frame mounted ones in the future.

https://www.seasucker.com/
Looks cool, but I was thinking of a rack for a kayak. For my bike I think I’m going to go with a trailer-hitch-mounted rack. I’m too short for one of those roof setups. Thanks for the info.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Looks cool, but I was thinking of a rack for a kayak. For my bike I think I’m going to go with a trailer-hitch-mounted rack. I’m too short for one of those roof setups. Thanks for the info.
Yes, always the hitch mount for bikes. I say this as someone with a roof rack who after a long arduous ride somehow forgot it was up there and rammed my bike into my garage

OP
OP

Smurf

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus SC430
Country flag
Yes, always the hitch mount for bikes. I say this as someone with a roof rack who after a long arduous ride somehow forgot it was up there and rammed my bike into my garage
? I was thinking that but didn’t wanna say it. Lol

OP
OP

Smurf

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus SC430
Country flag
270 miles range for the Extended Range AWD (E4X). Other configurations have different range. The initial range reading on the lot is not realistic. You need to reset the electric driving history.

Some sales people at dealerships will lie through their teeth. You could have walked away from this at any time. Glad you didn't, though. You're going to love the car.
My husband reminded me of something else the salesman said after I said I wasn’t interested in the car if the range is 170. “this is YOUR car now.” By rights I probably COULD have walked away, but I guarantee they would not have handed that certified check back to me. It would have been an ugly scene.

Have not heard that in mine. The service dept. should be able to get rid of that.

No. The Mach E has either 68 or 88 kWh of usable battery depending on if you bought a standard or extended range. The energy required to charge the battery will be a few percent more than that due to heat losses.

There are lots of options for controlling these sorts of things if you wish to.

Not yet but Thule and Yakima will most likely have adapter feet available soon.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Watching a video, which gives this formula, assuming a rate of 7 cents/kWh: .07 x 90kw/h = $6.30
$0.07 per kWh? Wow - my bill shows two numbers - $.24 (Tier 1) and $0.31 (Tier 2) - in NorCal - looks like charging my NAch E will cost me 3 times more than yours :(

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm planning the same -- feet for my Thule rack for kayaks and a stealth hitch setup for the bike rack.

OP
OP

Smurf

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus SC430
Country flag
$0.07 per kWh? Wow - my bill shows two numbers - $.24 (Tier 1) and $0.31 (Tier 2) - in NorCal - looks like charging my NAch E will cost me 3 times more than yours :(
Mine has a base rate of 44 cents for the first batch of kwhs. Then a second rate of 9 cents. But it’s giving back 5 cents a kwh for charging betw 11pm and 6am. Call yours. They might offer something similar.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Your Dealer did in fact own that car. They out and out lied to you. Once the Dealer placed the order for the MachE, the pre-order was converted from Ford to Dealer inventory. Honestly, that guy should be fired for what he said.
Yeah, I pretty sure the vehicle's invoice will show the dealer's name on it.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine has a base rate of 44 cents for the first batch of kwhs. Then a second rate of 9 cents. But it’s giving back 5 cents a kwh for charging betw 11pm and 6am. Call yours. They might offer something similar.
Yeah, checked the pge site - $0.18 between 12am and 3pm, or $0.14 between 11pm and 7am if I install a separate meter. Now to know what is the cost of separate meter installation.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
In NorCal, if you are with PG&E, you can sign up for the EV2-A plan. It reduces the cost to $.17 between midnight and 3pm daily. It will increase the cost for using electricity during the other hours. I did some math based on my own electricity usage, and signing up for EV2-A would come up ahead if I use at least 100kWh for charging in winter, or at least 200kWh in summer (June to September).

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In NorCal, if you are with PG&E, you can sign up for the EV2-A plan. It reduces the cost to $.17 between midnight and 3pm daily. It will increase the cost for using electricity during the other hours. I did some math based on my own electricity usage, and signing up for EV2-A would come up ahead if I use at least 100kWh for charging in winter, or at least 200kWh in summer (June to September).
Yeah, I already checked the site - though my page shows $0.18 for EV2-A and $0.14 for EV-B - but EV-B requires a separate meter.
Sponsored