L2 charge rate experience?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
Picked up a Mach E on Thursday and loving it so far. I tried searching the forum but didn’t find an answer to this question. In terms of miles added/hour of charging, is it normal for the Mach E to charge slower on L2 than other EVs? Specifically, at home I have 240v/40A which was good for 32mi/hr with the Bolt but something like 20mi/hr on the Mach E. At work it’s the usual Chargepoint 208V/32A that was ~25mi/hr with the Bolt but only 18mi/hr on the Ford.

I realize the battery size is significantly different but it seems like miles added should be very similar if I’m getting similar efficiency.

My search turned up several discussions of L2 charging problems but those sounded like failure to charge at all.

Thank
Sponsored

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That does seem a little slow based on my experience. I see you're in Alabama, so I doubt you have cold temperatures slowing things down. I recently installed a 40A L2 charger at home, and I'm seeing about 29 miles of range per charge hour.

OP
OP
rodhx

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, ambient temps aren’t an issue. And generally are not an issue here anyway in my experience.

It would help if Ford would actually display some useful info when the car is charging.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Measuring charge via miles per hour is somewhat a fools errand. Especially on a car THIS new. The car has no idea what your driving style will be so it can’t accurately predict the your miles/kWh used.
instead look at you KWh added per hour. On a 240V, 40 amp circuit, you should be charging at 32amps. 240 x 32 = 7680watt/hours or 7.68 kwh added each hour. Figure a 10% loss for the circuits, battery conditioning, etc and you should add about 6.8 kwh each hour it’s plugged in.
EPA range is 3.1 miles/kwh so 6.8 kWh should translate to 21 miles IF your car figures EPA mileage. But with your car not knowing if you’re an efficient driver or not, it will probably be conservative on your estimate. So if it’s adding 20 miles of range ESTIMATE per hour, I’d say that’s pretty good.

For my personal scenario, I live where it’s cold. So I get 2.8 miles / kWh. On the same charger you’re using, I would get the same 6.8 kWh added each hour but it would only equate to 19 miles on a good day.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Picked up a Mach E on Thursday and loving it so far. I tried searching the forum but didn’t find an answer to this question. In terms of miles added/hour of charging, is it normal for the Mach E to charge slower on L2 than other EVs? Specifically, at home I have 240v/40A which was good for 32mi/hr with the Bolt but something like 20mi/hr on the Mach E. At work it’s the usual Chargepoint 208V/32A that was ~25mi/hr with the Bolt but only 18mi/hr on the Ford.

I realize the battery size is significantly different but it seems like miles added should be very similar if I’m getting similar efficiency.
"Miles added" is as meaningless as the range number that your car shows. Compare how much energy (kWh) is added or provided.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It would help if Ford would actually display some useful info when the car is charging.
I agree, more information is always better. Just curious, what type of efficiency are you seeing?

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
The numbers you listed for your at home charging match what Ford lists on their website if you are using the included mobile charger. While your outlet is rated for 40 amps the charger only delivers 30 amps. Additionally the bolt is more efficient than the Mach E so I don't think what you are seeing is unexpected.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This is the one place where I find the FordPass app useful. If the car is plugged in and charging you can open the app and click details for the charge session. While up top it presents time charging and “miles add” if you scroll down a little it will show kWH added as well. You can also see this in your charge logs to see how many kWh have been added on your last few charge sessions. This allows you to do the math and see if you’re getting the right amount of power to your car.

OP
OP
rodhx

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The numbers you listed for your at home charging match what Ford lists on their website if you are using the included mobile charger. While your outlet is rated for 40 amps the charger only delivers 30 amps. Additionally the bolt is more efficient than the Mach E so I don't think what you are seeing is unexpected.
I charge at 40A at home. Not using the Ford charger.

I fully understand how this all works, not being new to EVs at all. It appears my confusion is that neither car uses actual efficiency but rated. 3.1 vs 4.0 addresses the gap, even though my lifetime efficiency with the Bolt was 3.1 as well.

Both chargers are delivering the expected energy, but with the rampant L2 problem posts here I panicked a bit when I saw 18mi/Hr on the chargepoint app today.

OP
OP
rodhx

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the one place where I find the FordPass app useful. If the car is plugged in and charging you can open the app and click details for the charge session. While up top it presents time charging and “miles add” if you scroll down a little it will show kWH added as well. You can also see this in your charge logs to see how many kWh have been added on your last few charge sessions. This allows you to do the math and see if you’re getting the right amount of power to your car.
I know how to use the app. Much of that info should be available in the car IMO.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag

My search turned up several discussions of L2 charging problems but those sounded like failure to charge at all.

Thank
I have a ChargePoint Home and used that to calculate everything. For example it took about 4h 40m (4.67 hours) to provide 43.43 kWh. That translates to 9.3 kWh added per hour. You can use your trip data from the car to get a rough idea of how many miles per kWh you get. In my case I'm usually around 3.3 miles per kWh 3.3*9.3 = 30.69 mile added per hour.

My charge logs in the Fordpass app only show percentage added, and not the actual kWh added. You can still use that but you'll have to do the math to convert percentage to the raw kWh added.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Thank
It is very likely that your home EVSE is delivering the same amount of watts to each vehicle (provided your Bolt can accept full power from that circuit the EVSE wired on). Your Bolt is more efficient so it translates to more miles on those delivered watts. The Mach-E is less efficient then your Bolt so that is why you are seeing lower miles for the same amount of energy being delivered.

Your 20 miles of range per hour of charge time sounds about right for 32A charge rate.

OP
OP
rodhx

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I do know energy delivered from the chargers is consistent so I’ll relax now. :cool:

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
Upon delivery of my MME CR1 , I installed a 50amp Primecom.tech L2 charger running 6 gauge wire to a 60amp breaker. Charges at 12kw/hr and approximately 40-45 miles of range/ hour. I've charged from 8% to 100% in about 7.5 hours.
Sponsored