Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I think that’s mostly a copy/paste from Ford’s plug-in hybrids, which do heat up the battery significantly while driving. The Mach-E battery is so big it doesn’t really heat up. And most of the time it doesn't matter when you plug it in. But to be easier on the power grid, you should set your charge schedule to charge at night rather than right away when you get home (4-7PM is the worst time to charge, avoid).

If you get the message about plugging in due to high outside air temp, then you should do that right away when you get home.
The air cooled battery pscks in the CMax and Fusion Energi do not work well in the heat. It is difficult to slow the rise or stabilize battery temperature while driving during the hot summer heat. I drive a CMax Energi and read battery temperature in real time. Using the air conditioner at full blast at 60f is only going to stabilize or slowly decrease like 2f in 30 minutes. We have to kick on the engine constantly to minize battery use and temperature rise. Car has all 84 battery cells while a Tesla can have more than 4000!
Sponsored

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Yes!
The program description is exactly what I was looking for. They should run another trial in MA. There are at least 3 other MMEs in my neighborhood, and currently 5 on the lawn down at the Ford dealer.

The problems resuming sound like as much a problem with FordPass vs being anything to do with the program. Hopefully those FordPass reliability issues can be ironed out.
I am in Mass but national grid, they offer us 2 programs. I get a discount charging after 9pm, so I setup charge times. Or we could let them control charging in high demand situations, I don't like this option, I used it for my AC and they were turning it hotter every day so I ended up cancelling, yes when it's got is when I want AC and it's also peak demand. I have solar and I produce more than I consume so I don't mind lots of AC.

CW23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
Country flag
Ford actually did have a pilot program for that called SmartGrid Rewards, which has since ended. I don't think the utilities really made good use of it, and there were problems with the cars resuming their normal charge schedules afterwards.

https://www.ford.com/grid/dte
I was just offered the smart grits for a $50 gift card and another $50 the past day throughout the whole program which meant letting them turn my charger off when DTE needs energy

CW23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
Country flag
Has anyone use smart grids? To me it doesn’t sound like it’s worth $100 to allow them to turn me on and off at their convenience I’d rather know that I am fully charged and ready to go at any time.

OP
OP
bshaw

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Has anyone use smart grids? To me it doesn’t sound like it’s worth $100 to allow them to turn me on and off at their convenience I’d rather know that I am fully charged and ready to go at any time.
I don’t know about DTE, but most programs like this will send you a notification when you’re being shut off, and there is an override if you need power now. Still keep the $100, even if you override too. It’s worth it IMO.
Sponsored