supared

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
No one has come after them because they don’t operate in the US.

I am kinda surprised Ford hasn’t at least said something on the forum though. We know they monitor it and I’m about 80% sure they actually run this (and the Lightning) forum.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does Kickstarter work?

Are you donating money? Pledging to give only if it comes to market? Or pledging to buy a product?
Kickstarter is a crowdfunding platform for creators/makers. Some small companies use it as an incubator for new products. It is NOT a platform for retail sales.

People who donate to the project are backers. In this case, I have only shared this project with Mach-E owners because they are the only ones that benefit from it. Backers are in collaboration with the creator(s) and receive "rewards" as incentives to join the project. These usually include the thing being created and possibly some add-ons for different levels of support.

At this point, I have invested in developing a working prototype. It is not a production-quality part, but the design is close. I'm hoping the scale of the MME owners community helps me speed things up. They make donations to fund the creation.
I didn't want to go to Ford with just a 3D print. I wanted to have a credible product when I speak to them about licensing. So the Kickstarter serves several purposes.

1) I can iterate on my design and source a production grade Pony emblem with injection molded plastics and embedded circuits. Backers receive emblems that are new, but have undergone quality and functional testing; a good thing for them. I can also then send a nice demo proof-of-concept to Ford along with statistical performance data as I work licensing possibilities. It is important to note that this is not an exact recreation of the GT emblem. This is a recreation of the current Non-GT emblems. It will maintain the current identity.
2) I can gain feedback from MME owners on the product, installation, future features, etc.

This is not a for-profit effort [yet]. If the product has a market beyond this development campaign, then I will only move forward with Ford's support and licensing.

I do hope they work with us/me. If licensing debates kill this, which they could with their legal power against a small creator, then the harder to reach Asian manufacturers would certainly bring a similar product to market.

One last consideration: what made Mustang the best selling sports car for the last 50 years? I would argue that it is the huge aftermarket driven by an enthusiastic owner-base who love to modify and personalize their Ponies. EVs are a different animal, and if we are further limited from modifying the Mach-E, then the critics are right: it's Not a Mustang.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Kickstarter is a crowdfunding platform for creators/makers. Some small companies use it as an incubator for new products. It is NOT a platform for retail sales.

People who donate to the project are backers. In this case, I have only shared this project with Mach-E owners because they are the only ones that benefit from it. Backers are in collaboration with the creator(s) and receive "rewards" as incentives to join the project. These usually include the thing being created and possibly some add-ons for different levels of support.

At this point, I have invested in developing a working prototype. It is not a production-quality part, but the design is close. I'm hoping the scale of the MME owners community helps me speed things up. They make donations to fund the creation.
I didn't want to go to Ford with just a 3D print. I wanted to have a credible product when I speak to them about licensing. So the Kickstarter serves several purposes.

1) I can iterate on my design and source a production grade Pony emblem with injection molded plastics and embedded circuits. Backers receive emblems that are new, but have undergone quality and functional testing; a good thing for them. I can also then send a nice demo proof-of-concept to Ford along with statistical performance data as I work licensing possibilities. It is important to note that this is not an exact recreation of the GT emblem. This is a recreation of the current Non-GT emblems. It will maintain the current identity.
2) I can gain feedback from MME owners on the product, installation, future features, etc.

This is not a for-profit effort [yet]. If the product has a market beyond this development campaign, then I will only move forward with Ford's support and licensing.

I do hope they work with us/me. If licensing debates kill this, which they could with their legal power against a small creator, then the harder to reach Asian manufacturers would certainly bring a similar product to market.

One last consideration: what made Mustang the best selling sports car for the last 50 years? I would argue that it is the huge aftermarket driven by an enthusiastic owner-base who love to modify and personalize their Ponies. EVs are a different animal, and if we are further limited from modifying the Mach-E, then the critics are right: it's Not a Mustang.
Gotcha. So it is a donation.

Good luck on your venture, and I truly mean that.

But I personally wouldn’t financially back something that has copyright infringement concerns.

In my best Shark Tank voice, “I’m out.”

Side note- if you want to eventually bring it to market, I would suggest partnering with a company that already makes aftermarket badges and emblems for Ford and has licensing agreements. They’ll even likely be able to manufacture it too.

For example:
https://www.putco.com/luminix-ford-emblems

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lighted Pony Project (back it!) E68C7E86-B3C8-4B65-94DA-AE03AB720909

OP
OP
supared

supared

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Gotcha. So it is a donation.

Good luck on your venture, and I truly mean that.

But I personally wouldn’t financially back something that has copyright infringement concerns.

In my best Shark Tank voice, “I’m out.”

Side note- if you want to eventually bring it to market, I would suggest partnering with a company that already makes aftermarket badges and emblems for Ford and has licensing agreements. They’ll even likely be able to manufacture it too.

For example:
https://www.putco.com/luminix-ford-emblems

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lighted Pony Project (back it!) E68C7E86-B3C8-4B65-94DA-AE03AB720909
Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
supared

supared

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to reiterate and say it a little differently in case anyone is concerned, trademark infringement does not apply here by definition. This project is for personal use by Mustang Mach-E owners. No one is selling or buying a product. Trademark infringement only applies to resale of goods or services.
That said, the project involves seeking Ford's support, and Mach1E shows us another great example of Ford establishing a precedence of licensing emblems like this. That will be important IF other owners want to buy this as a product later.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to reiterate and say it a little differently in case anyone is concerned, trademark infringement does not apply here by definition. This project is for personal use by Mustang Mach-E owners. No one is selling or buying a product. Trademark infringement only applies to resale of goods or services.
That said, the project involves seeking Ford's support, and Mach1E shows us another great example of Ford establishing a precedence of licensing emblems like this. That will be important IF other owners want to buy this as a product later.
Huh?

No one (you) is selling a product yet, but you are taking donations from people with promises of a discount on a retail product.

Isn’t the whole point to bring it to market?

I imagine the people giving you money as well are hoping the end result is they get a finished product.

Maybe I’m wrong and we just have a bunch of philanthropists here that want to support a fun project.

Rebelchopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150, 2013 Santa Fe, 1968 Mustang, 2015 HD
Occupation
Jet engine quality inspector
Country flag
Huh?

No one (you) is selling a product yet, but you are taking donations from people with promises of a discount on a retail product.

Isn’t the whole point to bring it to market?

I imagine the people giving you money as well are hoping the end result is they get a finished product.

Maybe I’m wrong and we just have a bunch of philanthropists here that want to support a fun project.
We're not donating money up front... we are only charged an amount if the creator reaches a money goal - in this case it's $25k. once the 25k is pledged and the ok from Ford is given, the creator will begin producing the emblems. Those that pledged will receive their emblem if that's the option they chose.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We're not donating money up front... we are only charged an amount if the creator reaches a money goal - in this case it's $25k. once the 25k is pledged and the ok from Ford is given, the creator will begin producing the emblems. Those that pledged will receive their emblem if that's the option they chose.
You are donating the money no matter what if the $25k is reached.

Website says “rewards aren’t guaranteed.”

And the rewards are a discount (5-30%) off the retail price if it ever makes it to market.

Giving money to this project will not get you an emblem. You may just get the option to BUY one later.

I am not trying to throw salt on anyone’s game. Part of my job in real life is helping people avoid financial fraud. Whenever someone shows up on the internet and asks for thousands of dollars and is a smooth talker, red flags go up.

To be clear, I am NOT saying this is a scam. I hope it’s legit. But if you back it, just know the risks. OP just hasn’t been around here long enough to know what’s what.

If you like the project, want to Donate, go for it. Just know it’s a donation, not an actual purchase.

Edit- I watched the video on the kickstarter page and do feel better about the legitimacy.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are correct that in the kickstarter, no one is buying a product, they’re just donating money to help you build it.

But part of the reward for donating is according to your site-

• 25% off full retail value”

• So if people will be able to buy it later, getting Ford’s backing, or a partner who already has rights from Ford, or someone in China to make it, will be required.

• You can’t call it “personal use” when people give you money, get “25% off retail” and you give them a product. That’s a retail sale. Is it big enough that Ford would care? Probably not. Just another risk to consider.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag

Rebelchopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150, 2013 Santa Fe, 1968 Mustang, 2015 HD
Occupation
Jet engine quality inspector
Country flag
You are donating the money no matter what if the $25k is reached.

Website says “rewards aren’t guaranteed.”

And the rewards are a discount (5-30%) off the retail price if it ever makes it to market.

Giving money to this project will not get you an emblem. You may just get the option to BUY one later.

I am not trying to throw salt on anyone’s game. Part of my job in real life is helping people avoid financial fraud. Whenever someone shows up on the internet and asks for thousands of dollars and is a smooth talker, red flags go up.

To be clear, I am NOT saying this is a scam. I hope it’s legit. But if you back it, just know the risks. OP just hasn’t been around here long enough to know what’s what.

If you like the project, want to Donate, go for it. Just know it’s a donation, not an actual purchase.

Edit- I watched the video on the kickstarter page and do feel better about the legitimacy.
Thanks for the clarification. I somewhat misunderstood and ran my mouth too soon!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Will this require ANY modifications to the Mustang Mach E (drilling holes, cutting wires in harnesses, etc)? Is removing the existing pony straightforward, or is it held on with adhesive as well as fasteners?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
You and I are saying the same thing.

I said you will be charged “if the $25k is reached.”
Sorry, that’s on me. My misreading. I apologize.
Sponsored