Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Can't say I'm thrilled with that station wagon look:
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...c-suv-prototype-spotted-testing-in-california

Lucid electric SUV prototype spotted testing in California
avatar-image-for-stephed_100440631_s.jpg

STEPHEN EDELSTEIN AUGUST 20, 2020

Shortly after Lucid Motors CEO Peter Rawlinson confirmed plans for an electric SUV to follow the automaker's Air sedan, a prototype appears to have been spotted by an eagle-eyed Twitter user.

Photos of an SUV, accompanied by a Lucid Air, on California public roads were posted by Twitter user Coast Redwoods on Friday and Saturday.

The SUV's appearance closely follows what Lucid CEO Rawlinson told Green Car Reports last week—that Lucid has a drivable SUV prototype that's based on Air and about the same length.

The photos show a very steep windshield pillar, indicating the SUV could follow the Lucid Air sedan's aerodynamic leadership. The Air's drag coefficient (Cd) of 0.21 is better than the 0.23 of the Tesla Model S. SUVs are inherently less aerodynamic than sedans, however, due to their taller, boxier bodywork—adding frontal area, even if it has a slick coefficient.

Lucid's SUV might also arrive as a family-luxury counterpoint to the rugged, more outdoor-lifestyle-oriented Rivian R1S. Rivian has said the seven-seat R1S will have up to 410 miles of range and genuine off-road capability. Based on the same "skateboard" platform as the Rivian R1T pickup truck, it's scheduled to start production in summer 2021.

CEO Rawlinson said Lucid has no current plans for a pickup, but it's an idea the company is considering. A pickup would likely need to be built on a different platform than the SUV and Air.

Tesla's closest rival in this area is the Model X, and while this model doesn't have the widespread appeal of the smaller, less expensive, Model Y, Tesla has continued to update it with more range and features and lower pricing.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmmm, those short windows look pretty ugly. Looks like they forgot to order full-size windows and slapped on some half-height ones. Or like a Roadrunner anvil fell on the top of the car and squashed it.

Stretch that whole top up 8-10" and it would look like a real SUV. Kinda like the R1S:

R1S-Web_r2_00010.png

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
The wheels alone turn me off....one reason I have a hard time considering a M3 or MY are the wheels...Aero and Gemini, like these, scream BEV.

Bought our Fusion Energi because it didn't look like a plug-in. Drawn to the MME because it doesn't look like a BEV. I like that Ford doesn't cater to the design philosophy that range is king. Buying an EV we are already compromising....at least give us something that looks nice.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Bought our Fusion Energi because it didn't look like a plug-in.
This is one of the things I like a lot about my Fusion Energi - except for some relatively small badging and a charger door, it looks like every other Fusion on the road, and there's a lot of those. It makes the car a small bit of a sleeper at lights because of the instant torque - if someone really wants to race me, I can't win, but if I just need to do a quick jump in front of someone off a light, it's pretty handy.