CurtW

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
We normally camp quite a few weeks each year. It's getting nearly warm enough now to start looking for sites.

Have you taken your MME camping? Pros and cons?

I haven't tried out the frunk as a cooler yet, I'm guessing it is not as insulated as a Yeti. Anybody know how long a block of ice might last in the frunk?

Have you charged using campsite power? Our sites normally have 30amp and 50amp power, anyone tried L2 charging at campground? The level 2 charger takes 40amps, so I presume one can plug into a 50amp receptacle.
Sponsored

karbar2004

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach e First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We normally camp quite a few weeks each year. It's getting nearly warm enough now to start looking for sites.

Have you taken your MME camping? Pros and cons?

I haven't tried out the frunk as a cooler yet, I'm guessing it is not as insulated as a Yeti. Anybody know how long a block of ice might last in the frunk?

Have you charged using campsite power? Our sites normally have 30amp and 50amp power, anyone tried L2 charging at campground? The level 2 charger takes 40amps, so I presume one can plug into a 50amp receptacle.
One can easily plug in ford charging cable to a 50 amp campsite power receptacle
Being doing just that for 2 years at our Seasonal site even bought a 50 amp splitter to run camper and charging

SaraFed13

First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium ER/AWD, 2017 F-350 6.2L, 2012Acura TL
Country flag
One can easily plug in ford charging cable to a 50 amp campsite power receptacle
Being doing just that for 2 years at our Seasonal site even bought a 50 amp splitter to run camper and charging
We are seasonal campers too and am considering buying a 50 amp splitter to do the exact same thing. Have you had any issues with the total power draw/breaker tripping at your site?

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
Where the issue will arise is once EVs are popular enough, the combined load of many EVs charging will trip the source panels main breaker. In doing calculations for the main panel, they allow full current for x number of sites, lower draw for x number more, and a much lower draw for the rest. They dont expect all outlets will ever all draw the full amount, so the mains is calculated to have a lower designed value than 100% draw on all outlets.
guessing it'll be a few years before this ever is an issue, however after 2030+ eg, and 100% of cars are EV ... the standards will change & sited upgraded, or campers wont be permitted to charge.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
We are now on a NYC - California six week trip. 2d week. Some hotels, some camping, some friends' couches. Camping = RV state parks etc. The pic is from Cape Henlopen, Delaware. The 14-year old is the official Navigator and also the official camp cook. He loves the Mach E, especially its hotspot WiFi.

I have a modified Nissan Panasonic portable EVSE I bought back in 2012, modified by EvseUpgrade to pull 20 amps at 240V. Perfect for RV overnight charging at a nice beach / mountain spot.

The frunk holds two insulated REI bags for food and ice. I added bottom grommets for draining so cold food stays dry. Ice reliably lasts two+ days in the insulated bags. We make SodaStream soda bottles for the road, for camps and for charging stops.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...o-a-family-summer-road-trip.28022/post-643415

So far, we've done about 2 thousand miles since 19 June.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e Camping 20230619_204008

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e Camping 20230619_200214

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e Camping 20230617_155948

Last edited:

karbar2004

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach e First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We are seasonal campers too and am considering buying a 50 amp splitter to do the exact same thing. Have you had any issues with the total power draw/breaker tripping at your site?
Usually no just be watchful about rv usage and not have every outlet in use or run heavily ac unit/units
I usually charge at night when rv power usage is low

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
We are now on a NYC - California six week trip. 2d week. Some hotels, some camping, some friends' couches. Camping = RV state parks etc. The pic is from Cape Henlopen, Delaware. The 14-year old is the official Navigator and also the official camp cook. He loves the Mach E, especially its hotspot WiFi.

I have a modified Nissan Panasonic portable EVSE I bought back in 2012, modified by EvseUpgrade to pull 20 amps at 240V. Perfect for RV overnight charging at a nice beach / mountain spot.

The frunk holds two insulated REI bags for food and ice. I added bottom grommets for draining so cold food stays dry. Ice reliably lasts two+ days in the insulated bags. We make SodaStream soda bottles for the road, for camps and for charging stops.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...o-a-family-summer-road-trip.28022/post-643415

So far, we've done about 2 thousand miles since 19 June.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e Camping PXL_20230505_222941796

In an earlier life (e.g. pre-COVID) we did the baseball tour. Took us 7 years but managed to see all 30 of them.

Of course there are several new ones now...

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
In an earlier life (e.g. pre-COVID) we did the baseball tour. Took us 7 years but managed to see all 30 of them.

Of course there are several new ones now...
The boy is a rabid fan.
Sponsored