available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
It was obvious in the reveal that Ford was trying to be tesla, but that they have given the entire design team model 3s is beyond what I would have imagined. I gave up a model 3 reservation because of all the tesla/elon bullshit. A high tech BEV that I can actually get repaired and not deal with shady delivery/production issues is basically my dream.
Sponsored

RobertP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Country flag
And so I bring an old topic back to live... sorry:

But, in Germany a court ruled that the big screen in the Tesla Model 3 is considered being an electronic device (like a smartphone/tablet) and touching/using it while driving to make advanced settings for the car is not allowed. The person in question was making adjustments to the interval speed of the windshield wipers and drove off the road, hitting a tree. He got a 200 euro fine and was not allowed to drive for a month.

So, although many car manufacturers 'upgrade' functionality to their touch screens, at least one courtroom already consider it dangerous driving. Don't know what advanced settings are being done in a Mach E on the screen.

(source in german: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de...en-touchscreenbedienung-fuer-scheibenwischer/)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Good read, and I am glad that Ford decided to do a blend of what Tesla has done and what drivers really need and find familiar. The blend of the physical buttons, the driver display, and the large tablet display with a knob all speak to me that they really thought about not just trying to outdo Tesla, but also thinking about the driver. Others may disagree. ;)

My only wish is that that large screen were slightly adjustable to angle toward the driver. But we will see once we are "in" the car. It seems to be fixed right now.

My 2016 Escape came with Sync 3, and update was a pain in the butt. However, while CarPlay compatible, it lacked the USB hub with the interface. I recently bought the USB hub part that has the interface and installed it myself. Now with CarPlay on my screen I could not be happier. I was finally able to remove the phone mount from my middle dash where it had been blocking the never used CD slot. :)

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
And so I bring an old topic back to live... sorry:

But, in Germany a court ruled that the big screen in the Tesla Model 3 is considered being an electronic device (like a smartphone/tablet) and touching/using it while driving to make advanced settings for the car is not allowed. The person in question was making adjustments to the interval speed of the windshield wipers and drove off the road, hitting a tree. He got a 200 euro fine and was not allowed to drive for a month.

So, although many car manufacturers 'upgrade' functionality to their touch screens, at least one courtroom already consider it dangerous driving. Don't know what advanced settings are being done in a Mach E on the screen.

(source in german: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de...en-touchscreenbedienung-fuer-scheibenwischer/)
To late for the mach-e but I hope incidents like this also lead to regulations mandating hvac controls being physical, I have no problems with sat nav and entertainment controls being on a screen, where as hvac controls on screen are just the worst it is all great when your are sitting still and just gawking at the screen but when driving and the road is bumpy they are truly awful, thankfully at least the mach-e still has everything else physical such as wiper control .

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
That is what
Thankfully, there are plenty of buttons on the steering wheel that are duplicated by controls on the touch screen. So choose your weapon. For climate control, you could also use your voice (I can do this on my Fiesta, too).
That is what I like about the "infotainment" system on my 2014 Fusion Hybrid. Almost all of the basic driver and passenger support functions can be controlled by the buttons on the sterring wheel, allowing me to change functions without removing my sight from the road. This includes A/C temperature and fan speed, which also has its own set of buttons below the screen.

If I have to do something on the touchscreen that need more attention (such as fader and balance for the audio), I do it parked in my home.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To late for the mach-e but I hope incidents like this also lead to regulations mandating hvac controls being physical, I have no problems with sat nav and entertainment controls being on a screen, where as hvac controls on screen are just the worst it is all great when your are sitting still and just gawking at the screen but when driving and the road is bumpy they are truly awful, thankfully at least the mach-e still has everything else physical such as wiper control .
I'm hoping voice control is 10x improved so maybe it'll be an acceptable alternative for what they removed physical controls for.

HVAC isn't one I'm quite as concerned with as it's usually not a "need to change quickly" thing... with one big exception: MAX DEFROST. There are times we'll be driving along in a storm at night with poor visibility and all of a sudden the windows start fogging up. That's when we just need to reach over fast (with eyes still on the road) to hit MAX DEFROST.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Am I misremembering or is the MME supposed to have the air/ventilation/heat/ac controls all on the front page so they're always visible? That's one plus (if so), no swiping through pages to find it. A proper voice command system would be of help. Or those old fashioned electromechanical switches. ;)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Am I misremembering or is the MME supposed to have the air/ventilation/heat/ac controls all on the front page so they're always visible? That's one plus (if so), no swiping through pages to find it. A proper voice command system would be of help. Or those old fashioned electromechanical switches. ;)
Yep, they're statically located near the bottom of the screen.
Sponsored