First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Hey MME Folks,

This is my first electric car, and so far it's great. Anyway, I'm getting ready to go on a road trip next month was was wondering if there is a particular speed that maximizes efficiency? Any intel from more experienced electric car folks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
My experience from first road trip.
I entered a destination, so the navigator consider the roads, weather and traffic on that route which gives an estimate range for that route.
At 70 mph, the speed limit, the predicted total range (miles driven +miles remaining) increased gradually by a few miles. At speeds over 75 it decreased steadily. On the return trip, keeping it between 70 and 75, the predicted miless were very closed.
I suspect that, if we drove under the speed limit, range would increase. That is our plan if we ever run short of miles.
Sponsored

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
There are really 2 questions embedded in the seemingly simple question that was asked. One is on driving efficiency (e.g., how to maximize mi/kWh) and the other is on total time (e.g., how to minimize total time to make a trip).

If the trip doesn't require charging stops, then my not-quite-sarcastic answer is the slowest speed that you can both tolerate and that is safe (e.g., don't drive 35 when the speed limit is 70). If the trip requires charging stops, then it's quite a bit more complex. I seem to recall reading that 65-ish is the best speed for a Mach-E EX (its EV dependent due to differences in charging speed) to minimize the trip time when including charging stops. Travelling faster than that ends up taking more time since it takes longer to charge, travelling slower, while reducing charging time increases the trip time.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Most efficient cruise speed is 20-35 mph depending on how much heat you’re using. Shortest time with charging is difficult to answer because it depends heavily on charging speed, which varies widely. It also changes a lot depending on how many stops you’ll need, and if you’re close to needing another one or not.

I think you’re better off using ABRP and playing with the speed setting to see the effects. If you can slow down enough to eliminate a stop (and no slower) that’s usually the fastest method.

There is a practical limit to how slow you can drive on the interstate safely, but I’ve heard of some people going as slow as 55 mph to avoid a stop.

Haven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT 7-8-21, Flex
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just drive the speed limit. I also look for good non-expressway options that get the speed 65 or lower. I’m willing to spend extra time to drive but not too much either.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
My daily commute has a stretch of 17 miles on a 65mph highway. I just get in the slow lane and cruise at 60. It adds all of one minute to my 35 minute commute, and saves energy and wear on the battery.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
I seem to recall reading that 65-ish is the best speed for a Mach-E EX (its EV dependent due to differences in charging speed) to minimize the trip time when including charging stops.
I just tried ABRP with a Redding to Bakersfield (CA) trip, and you will actually arrive quicker the faster you travel. I tried 100%, 110% and 120%. Charging time increased by about ten minutes for each increase in speed, but travel time was reduced by about 30 minutes, netting you 20 minutes saved in total travel time.

Terence Murphy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 2 MME Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Computer scientist
Country flag
This is going to replace the “two train” math problems from grade school. But not in Florida.

extra credit: factor in the effect of obligatory bathroom stops.

Fordmaybe

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No ford yet
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Funny thing today. I’m going along at speed limit (65)for two reasons. First was efficienty second was time added to trip based on not going 70-85. First I gained .5 kWh doing this at 65 and every car on the highway passed me like was standing still in a zone that is 65 time added was less than 3 minutes at 65 mph.
Sponsored