Munro is not happy with the Mach-E, back in Tesla fanboy mode

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
Except for the contracts Ford has with suppliers (to keep the cost down), I don't see the need for a 12V with the cranking power designed for a V8 engine either.

While shaving ounces, they missed an obvious one. Couldn't a few 5 oz. laptop batteries do the job (and be owner-serviceable)? It DOES have the heaviest IRS on the planet for back-up.
The 12V battery must have enough capacity to run the emergency flashers for several hours, even if the motive system (e.g. the traction battery) fails.

This capability and the exact time required varies by local regulations. Ever where the regulation doesn't explicitly exist there may be manufacturer liability exposure. Imagine a lawyer arguing to a jury that it's a common and common-sense safety measure that every other manufacturer has, skipped to save a few dollars.
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
The 12V battery must have enough capacity to run the emergency flashers for several hours, even if the motive system (e.g. the traction battery) fails.

This capability and the exact time required varies by local regulations. Ever where the regulation doesn't explicitly exist there may be manufacturer liability exposure. Imagine a lawyer arguing to a jury that it's a common and common-sense safety measure that every other manufacturer has, skipped to save a few dollars.
I'm sure there are plenty of regs on this. They can't be THAT rigid. Batteries fail fairly predictably and we're not driving with a backup 12V in our Hondas to run the flashers.

- but, I get the point. Wipers, lights, flashers and now communications like Blondstar....

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
I'm sure there are plenty of regs on this. They can't be THAT rigid. Batteries fail fairly predictably and we're not driving with a backup 12V in our Hondas to run the flashers.

- but, I get the point. Wipers, lights, flashers and now communications like Blondstar....
Batteries might fail, but the failure is unlikely to happen at the same time as the engine/alternator fails.

I'm not arguing that the regulations make sense with current EVs, or even necessarily current ICE vehicles, but they certainly made sense when they were written. They especially made sense in the not-long-ago era of DIY/small-production EVs where the failure of the traction system or 12V converter was pretty likely.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
My big query, who is funding an engineer purchase a Mach-E (which others are waiting what seems like decades for)?

We believe he is being fully funded by Tesla to rip the Mach-E to pieces. Hence a strong bias.
I'm not surprised he gets to chat with Elon, oh yeah, he does.
And from what I've seen of his other video's he still seems to like the Mach-E in his under comments.

And if my reasoning is right, he must be enjoying all these new Tesla beating EV's entering the market - more for Tesla to pay him to rip them apart.
Maybe he can afford to retire after all.
Interesting theory. My theory is he's being paid by the chicoms to dismantle these vehicles so they can reverse engineer them. He's mentioned in other videos that he's worked with the Chinese. If he was half as good as he thinks he is, he wouldn't be bothered with YouTube page clicks.

As an enthusiast who works on his own cars, his lean manufacturing mindset ("make everything go together with snap clips"...."make this common failure part integrally molded with this huge/expensive part to save an extra 10 cents and 17 grams") is infuriating.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
As an enthusiast who works on his own cars, his lean manufacturing mindset ("make everything go together with snap clips"...."make this common failure part integrally molded with this huge/expensive part to save an extra 10 cents and 17 grams") is infuriating.
I agree, that’s one thing I don’t always like about his “improvements”. It might make sense for manufacturing but some stuff just makes repairs so much more difficult or expensive.
Repairability is always a hard thing for some engineers. I say “why would you do this! wtf is that?” at least once a month working in a refinery.
Sponsored