OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I am confused by his reference to 2 shifts for 10 hours; were they 10 hours followed by 10 hours, or overlapping so the total time cars are being built per day is 10 hours?
Two 10 hour shifts total 20 hours. But you have 50 minutes of break in the 10 hours. So really 9.1 hour of work. If everything goes perfect. That is why it says 26 but will run more like 20 a hour.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
They are working 7.2 hours 5 days a week. Why I dont know yet. Just got that info for this week.
OK, that's more like it. I'll dial it back to 2 7 hour shifts per day.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
They are working 7.2 hours 5 days a week. Why I dont know yet. Just got that info for this week.
So is that one 7.2 hour shift per day or two?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Anyone feels hurt by the mache drop. Sorry that it was not as easy of a process as it should have been, but was more like a video game hidden item. They were all to be made first is what we all heard but it came down to the process of labor and running certain units down the line. The build order for the workers.
I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I am left to feel like they have dropped the ball on the mach drops, and no one knows when or if they will ever be made. Handled very poorly indeed, and I have no confidence whatsoever in the process. Just being honest. If I don't hear something soon I will probably just cancel.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Another good article. Translated by Microsoft from https://expansion.mx/empresas/2020/...ccion-de-su-primer-electrico-mach-e-en-mexico:

FORD STARTS PRODUCTION OF ITS FIRST MACH-E ELECTRIC IN MEXICO
The U.S. automaker had initially allocated crossover production to a Michigan plant. But along the way there was a change of plans and the project finally came to Mexico.

Wed 04 November 2020 05:15 PM
Ivet Rodriguez, @Ivet2R

Ford started production of its first electric model globally... and the place chosen to do so was Mexico. It is a crossover derived from its Mustang subbrand, called Mach-E, which will be assembled in the renovated plant of Cuautitlán, State of Mexico.

In early 2018, the U.S. shipowner announced that it would invest $11 billion to launch 40 new hybrid models, plug-in and electric hybrids by 2022, including an electric version of its iconic F-150 model, plug-in hybrid versions of its SUVs, and a new electric crossover.
Amid Donald Trump's harsh criticism of the cars he invested in Mexico to export to the United States, Ford assigned the production of Mach-E, the first of 16 all-electric models, to a Michigan plant. But along the way there was a change of plans and the project finally came to Mexico.

"Mexico is the perfect country to lead this transformation, thanks to the capacity and experience that Mexicans have demonstrated in the design, engineering and manufacture of the brand's products," Héctor Pérez, CEO of Ford of Mexico, said in a statement disseminated by the brand.

Months earlier, when he started pre-production of the model, Marcos Pérez, director of engineering, said in a telephone interview that the country was "ideal" to maintain a competitive manufacturing cost within the region. "You could do it in India too, but it's a long way from the United States, which is one of the main markets for the model."

The Cuautitlán plant, built in the 1960s, has produced a variety of models, from F-Series trucks to the Fiesta subcompact. But the transition from a traditional car plant to an electric-producing factory involved the adoption of new technologies. A hundred Mexican engineers, out of 2,000 working at the Pérez-led Cuautitlán Engineering Center, participated in the development of some modules for this vehicle.

Ford, which in recent months assembled 307 Mach-E pre-production units at the renovated Cuautitlán plant, began production of the first export units for both Europe and the United States on Wednesday, where they expect the model for the last quarter of the year. The marketing of electricity in Mexico is not yet confirmed.

The race of batteries

Reducing the cost of producing the battery is perhaps now the biggest challenge in massifying electric sales, as this will allow the price of vehicles to fall, which now exceeds 700,000 pesos. The exit price of Mach-E in Europe, for example, will be 46,900 euros (about 1.1 million pesos).

"The turning point will be when you find a way to produce the battery at a cost of less than $100 per kilowatt hour," says Perez, who estimates that when that barrier crosses, the cost of producing an electric is going to be pretty much the same as that of an internal combustion one.

"At that moment we will start making money from electric vehicles. Tesla, for example, has been losing for years, I think they just started doing something in the last quarter of 2019, but it's cost them blood, sweat and tears, because to make it a profitable business you have to achieve very large scales," he adds.

To advance on this front, Ford has made several alliances, one of them with Volkswagen. "We're both in the same storm and we're looking for ways to make electric vehicles more affordable. The formula we've bet on is on a very good path," perez says.

But reducing the cost of battery life is just one of several challenges brought by the launch of the Mach-E, considered one of three key models for the brand in 2020, in addition to the Bronco and a redesigned F-150, to the Mexican subsidiary. Another has been the development of new suppliers so that the electrical model complies with a new stricter rule of origin set out in the new T-MEC, which came into force recently.

Unlike gasoline models, the Mach-E has an electric motor, electronic transeje and a battery the size of an individual mattress that occupies the entire floor of the vehicle. In order to export it to the United States and Canada, without payment of tariff, the battery must now be assembled in the region, which led Ford to assemble a line to assemble them at the Quautitlán plant.

Eight Mexican technicians traveled to Dearborn, Michigan, to train in its operation and were responsible for kicking her off at the Mexican plant. Before starting the battery assembly in Mexico, another group of operators had 40 hours of theoretical training, before arming and disarming nearly 30 battery prototypes over three days.

Ford has said Mustang Mach-E will be available with standard and extended range battery options, which will have a maximum range of 600 kilometers. Pérez said that, for now, the batteries will be assembled with cells produced and imported by LG, but does not rule out that in the future they can also be manufactured in the region.

"Part of the outstanding subject in the automotive industry is to achieve vertical integration. Imagine that Mexico could be made large-scale lithium cells."

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Dog and pony show. show up eat cake shake hands.
It's very important you eat the cake and not the hands, dogs, or ponies. That's a lesson you only have to learn 4 times.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Reducing the cost of producing the battery is perhaps now the biggest challenge in massifying electric sales, as this will allow the price of vehicles to fall, which now exceeds 700,000 pesos. The exit price of Mach-E in Europe, for example, will be 46,900 euros (about 1.1 million pesos).
This would seem to indicate that the cost of building the car is around $33,000 USD

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Info like this seems awesome, but if true, where are all those Mach-E's going for a lot of us to have build weeks well into December?
Build weeks into February now.

All bodes well for mixing EU/UK orders and NA orders and getting the cars to us in a timely manner.

Timely be a relative thing. Shipping times vary greatly.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry, I was referring to the shape of the standard range pack.

The one you spotted in the video looks just like the one Ford's been showing in the online build configurator this whole time.

But the Jalopnik engineering behind the Mach-E article from last November indicated that both SR and ER packs look identical externally, with different module configurations within, and on the SR the second floor hump of the pack is just hollow space.

This more form fitting design makes a lot more sense to me considering they need to pump coolant through the pack. It's just something Jalopnik may have gotten wrong.
At 2:11 in the video we can see what looks like a black cover in the back of the pack. Maybe that is where they add and screw in the extra pack, so it would be added has an entire module with probably few additional connectors.
Sponsored