TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Remember the hard-working people in the plant making the mache, don't make anywhere near enough money to have one for themself. But they are full of smiles and happy to make a product for us to enjoy. Most make between 3 to 6 dollars an hour.
That's about average for Mexico, which has a much lower cost of living index than the US. And a big part of why the plant is there, making MMEs for the price they're selling it for. If made in the US, it would probably cost $thousands more (although not sure if it's model-specific or whether Ford tends to average those varying global labor costs out across all models).

Unfortunately for employees in low-cost countries and regions, automobile prices tend to be more global. Not entirely, as they are priced differently from country to and currency to currency, but they don't vary a lot (otherwise people would just drive across the border, buy it cheaper, and drive it back). So you're right, a household in Mexico (avg median household income $15k USD) probably can't afford a $55k car. But on the other side of that, the average house costs $55k USD in Mexico too. Far cheaper than the $300k in the US ($600k in my area). So it's all relative.

I only point that out since $3-6/hr sounds horrible to us on the surface, but it's decent for the market (part of why so many love working there). Glassdoor shows many positions there around $8-10/hr but those are probably the higher skill jobs compared to line workers.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Why translate? Spanish is easy to learn to speak and understand, since it is the most used langusage in the American Hemisphere, and the third most spoken in the world. Eeven the French, Italian, and Portuguese nations speak and understand Spanish as a second Latin based language. And it is the second spoken language in the United States (over 60% of the population speak and understand it). Just look at the many States that were Spanish colonies from California to FLorida, and more, before the British took over.

Learn Spanish and increase your cultural understanding.
Aprende Español y aumente tu entendimiento cultural.
Are you for real?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Why translate? Spanish is easy to learn to speak and understand, since it is the most used langusage in the American Hemisphere, and the third most spoken in the world. Eeven the French, Italian, and Portuguese nations speak and understand Spanish as a second Latin based language. And it is the second spoken language in the United States (over 60% of the population speak and understand it). Just look at the many States that were Spanish colonies from California to FLorida, and more, before the British took over.

Learn Spanish and increase your cultural understanding.
Aprende Español y aumente tu entendimiento cultural.
Also, the people in this video are speaking with a "Mexican accent" if you will. That tends to be be fairly clear and somewhat slower-spoken, so it's much easier to understand than Spanish spoken in other areas. My Spanish is AWFUL and i had no problems understanding the video.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Take a little time out and say a few words.
As we all sit and wait for the Mache we have ordered. Some of us would like it this year then next year or to arrive at a certain time for a reason. Waiting anxiously like a kid on Xmas.

Remember the hard-working people in the plant making the mache, don't make anywhere near enough money to have one for themself. But they are full of smiles and happy to make a product for us to enjoy. Most make between 3 to 6 dollars an hour.

One small mistake, on the job they are in and they can be let go and back to struggling to find a way to provide for their family. The union there is not as strong as it is here. Trust me it's like walking on glass as each mache passes by and they keep thinking in their head did they put the part on perfect.

The mache will be very well made, the quality control down there is way beyond anything I seen at other plants. At the end of the day just like to say thanks to the people making this mache dream a reality during this crazy 2020 year.

1604798177059.png
I'm truly grateful for any factory or "blue-collar" worker putting their best foot forward to earn money for their families well-being. With that said, $3 - $6 an hour is truly relative. That hourly wage is competitive for that market, and the money goes a lot further than here. There is a reason the car is made in Mexico and not in Detroit. Still...thank you to the workers who are diligently working to produce these cars.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm truly grateful for any factory or "blue-collar" worker putting their best foot forward to earn money for their families well-being. With that said, $3 - $6 an hour is truly relative. That hourly wage is competitive for that market, and the money goes a lot further than here. There is a reason the car is made in Mexico and not in Detroit. Still...thank you to the workers who are diligently working to produce these cars.
Agreed. I appreciate the workers that build the cars I buy, and house, and furniture, computers, TVs, clothes, food, etc. Just like I hope they appreciate my business that helps pay their wages.

Win-win. Ain't capitalism great? ?

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
That's about average for Mexico, which has a much lower cost of living index than the US. And a big part of why the plant is there, making MMEs for the price they're selling it for. If made in the US, it would probably cost $thousands more (although not sure if it's model-specific or whether Ford tends to average those varying global labor costs out across all models).

Unfortunately for employees in low-cost countries and regions, automobile prices tend to be more global. Not entirely, as they are priced differently from country to and currency to currency, but they don't vary a lot (otherwise people would just drive across the border, buy it cheaper, and drive it back). So you're right, a household in Mexico (avg median household income $15k USD) probably can't afford a $55k car. But on the other side of that, the average house costs $55k USD in Mexico too. Far cheaper than the $300k in the US ($600k in my area). So it's all relative.

I only point that out since $3-6/hr sounds horrible to us on the surface, but it's decent for the market (part of why so many love working there). Glassdoor shows many positions there around $8-10/hr but those are probably the higher skill jobs compared to line workers.
Yes, they are getting by and in no way living great. The area down there is not at cheap as it once was. 8 to 10 an hour is for auto workers closer to us Mexico border, where prices are way higher.

Yes, they can still live in less than middle class for 800 a month there. Been to the plant twice and stayed there. any decent place there to rent was around 500 dollars a month. Trust me a family of 4 the pay is barely getting by.

That is why I'm so grateful for the work they do.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, they are getting by and in no way living great. The area down there is not at cheap as it once was. 8 to 10 an hour is for auto workers closer to us Mexico border, where prices are way higher.

Yes, they can still live in less than middle class for 800 a month there. Been to the plant twice and stayed there. any decent place there to rent was around 500 dollars a month. Trust me a family of 4 the pay is barely getting by.

That is why I'm so grateful for the work they do.
I was told that Ford tries to do other things to help them out that wouldn't be done in the US, such as provide the employees transport to and from the plant? Is this correct? I'd like to think so.
In any event, I'm also grateful for the work they do based on the vehicles I've seen, and I hope that the Ford plant there is offering them a chance to enjoy a better life for themselves and their families. If my purchase of a quality product is contributing to the economy there, as well as our economy, then I see it as a win-win all around :)

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I want to say I am ecstatic that the workers are taking their time and doing it right. We know that Tesla is made in NorCal USA and their "awesome" quality build. lol. I would rather have it made in Mexico where people who work there are both happy and doing a great job. I doubt many of us would want to work around the clock doing what they do. So far every picture I have seen has been one that I would be proud to say yep..there is my car. Costs are all relative. Now that being said it is more about the pride than the money. I am sure these workers can work in other factories or areas, but instead they choose to work for Ford for whatever reason. That alone makes me feel good. Heck i will pay a few bucks more if they drive it across the border to San Diego and I will pick it up there and drive it to Galpin in LA for them. I will even buy them a hotel night and food.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I also belong to an airline forum. A couple of airlines have arranged for tours of their facilities for “super fans” of the airline over the years. In this case, we are talking about people who not only spend huge amounts of money flying in premium cabins internationally, but who also know every bit of minutiae about the airline the way we do our cars and obsess over aircraft interiors the way we do over door handles or seat motion ?

it would be nice if somehow it would be possible to get a tour of where our cars are made. I’d love to see it!

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I also belong to an airline forum. A couple of airlines have arranged for tours of their facilities for “super fans” of the airline over the years. In this case, we are talking about people who not only spend huge amounts of money flying in premium cabins internationally, but who also know every bit of minutiae about the airline the way we do our cars and obsess over aircraft interiors the way we do over door handles or seat motion ?

it would be nice if somehow it would be possible to get a tour of where our cars are made. I’d love to see it!
corvette does that in Bowling Green Ky.They let you know when your car will be done. You do NOT pay the destination charge say if $1000. Instead you pay the option charge of $1500. When you arrive at the factory your car is on a red carpet surrounded by the red ropes. An engineer goes over EVERY aspect of your car. These is also a special metal plate that is on the dash that says picked up at factory. Bmw and MB do it as well. Volvo will do it for its cars made in Sweeden.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
corvette does that in Bowling Green Ky.They let you know when your car will be done. You do NOT pay the destination charge say if $1000. Instead you pay the option charge of $1500. When you arrive at the factory your car is on a red carpet surrounded by the red ropes. An engineer goes over EVERY aspect of your car. These is also a special metal plate that is on the dash that says picked up at factory. Bmw and MB do it as well. Volvo will do it for its cars made in Sweeden.
I would so do this! Only problem is ABRP clearly shows a lack of chargers between Cuautitlan and the border.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I would so do this! Only problem is ABRP clearly shows a lack of chargers between Cuautitlan and the border.
I’d not go for that at all. I negligently failed to order the water tight, snorkel version of the MME.
Sponsored