MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Hence, there will be confusion with two very different platforms with the same name.
GM in the '90's was the worst Oldsmobile Cutlass, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Supreme and just plain Cutlass.
Sponsored

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
GM in the '90's was the worst Oldsmobile Cutlass, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Supreme and just plain Cutlass.
I only vaguely remember the oldmobiles. Were they completely different body and frame and were they sold at the same time with the same name?

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
I only vaguely remember the oldmobiles. Were they completely different body and frame and were they sold at the same time with the same name?
Yes they where talking about deluding a name plate GM was king.

AnalogDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
There is a weird contrarianism that I could see coming along with buying the Mustang Mach E.

A lot of EV buyers will probably think it's fun to give the metaphorical finger to the old school, cat-less header-type Mustang guys who don't care about the environment. Just like the Tesla guys think it's funny to beat muscle cars at the strip, and tuned Ecoboost owners think it's funny to beat stock GTs. "We're better for the environment and we're still faster than you." That angle is fun for EV enthusiasts.

Even though I love ICE Mustangs, I can see the appeal in that.

I'd probably even be tempted to throw a Shelby badge and some racing stripes on a Mach E just to get a rise out of the purists. :p

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
There is a weird contrarianism that I could see coming along with buying the Mustang Mach E.

A lot of EV buyers will probably think it's fun to give the metaphorical finger to the old school, cat-less header-type Mustang guys who don't care about the environment. Just like the Tesla guys think it's funny to beat muscle cars at the strip, and tuned Ecoboost owners think it's funny to beat stock GTs. "We're better for the environment and we're still faster than you." That angle is fun for EV enthusiasts.

Even though I love ICE Mustangs, I can see the appeal in that.

I'd probably even be tempted to throw a Shelby badge and some racing stripes on a Mach E just to get a rise out of the purists. :p
You're in luck, Ford says they will produce a Shelby Mach-e. I don't know what their timeline is.

I prefer to have a car with very good performance but I don't want a car that advertises or overstates. Lots of European sedans and even coupes didn't try to look fast but they were or maybe I should say are.

I expected a BEV Mustang eventually but I didn't think it would have four doors and a hatchback. I thought it would be a coupe and look just like the nostalgically styled Mustangs of today.

MustangJoe84

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 Mustang Mach1, 1998 Mustang GT, 1984 Mustang GT
Country flag
When I discovered they were using the Mustang name for this vehicle I was livid. I currently own four Mustangs as my only transportaion. Then I joined this forum and did the research. Gradually I realized that the Mach-E is checking all of the boxes for me as both a Mustang owner and a consumer. AWD, sporty yet practical, Grabber Blue with mettalic, GT version, terrific details on the interior GT trim, driving sounds, tech, HP and torque,etc. Then I watched the videos from Ford as to the passion and care used in developing the Mach-E. I have since done a complete turnaround in my thinking and totally embrace the idea. The only issue for me personally is the price. What with this new Mach-E and potentially a new Mach1 for 2021 these are indeed exciting times for the Mustang and the auto industry.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Falcon
Country flag
I recommend that people have a look at Rimac and how he got established. Truly inspiring story.

The reason I mention him is because he put it in the simplest terms: power to weight ratio of internal combustion engines versus electric motors is remarkable. He used the example of an F1 engine (2017 at the time) compared to electric.

The F1 is 2.3 times heavier than an electric motor that delivers the same power.

So you can imagine how much better it is if you compared it to ice engines in road cars.

The point here is there are no two ways about it; if you want ultimate power then electric makes a whole lot more sense.

At the moment there's a premium and limitation with the batteries. If or when they "crack the code" and start producing batteries that are a lot more efficient then bye bye ice, especially for performance vehicles.

This brings me to my next point. I think the biggest motivator for the big companies to go electric is the fact they're all getting the backsides kicked from pillar to post in terms of acceleration by an arrogant super villain named Musk.

So, enter the new age. They're going after him. Ultimately, the greatest thing that can be boasted about is acceleration. Would anyone care about Tesla if that weren't the case? You have whatever car you wish to name that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, and it gets flogged by a Tesla?! No, this isn't right.

So, anyway, this is a power war. That's where the pride is. Ford's chance to enter the EV market was never going to be in the guise of a coupe. That makes zero economic sense. They used a body that a) is the flavour of everyone (sub coupe), and they gave it the best name they've got. They've left nothing on the table. This decision is very big, and it's very brave. It's a decision that imo is way greater and important than "preserving" the Mustang heritage by not expanding it to appease traditionalists.

In a nutshell, this is a serious shot across the bow by Ford.

JB.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette z51 and alfa stelvio ti sport
Country flag
Mustang has a wonderful connotation of an excellent image and brand.

Sharing that in the new SPORTS CUV EV makes perfect business sense.

If this new ev fails in the marketplace ford is in deep shit. Ford has billions invested. Ford needs this mach E to be a success.

Using the mustang heritage is a smart and prudent move.

Just imagine this is 1964 1/2 ford needs this new EV to be a hit.

I believe it is.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Falcon
Country flag
I believe Falc'man was trying to make a point by using reverse logic :)

In reference to his point here - "Something not only recognizable as a Mustang but is a Mustang by name and by nature. ", it is my opinion the recognition of the styling as a Mustang presumes one is familiar with the 2-door coupe and convertible cues and that they translate to an SUV body style.

I tested this a bit today with a few friends who know me as a Ford Mustang owner. Each of them said "That's beautiful looking. What is that?" I said a Mustang. They said "that's not a Mustang, that's an SUV!" Mind you, none of these folks are heavy duty car enthusiasts. I showed them a picture of a few '60s cars and the current S550 coupe, then they said, "Oh, yeah, I see where it looks like it a bit".

If I boil down the consternation of many and the continued opportunity for demonstration it is a Mustang, it's because of the shape of the body. It will take awhile for even the general public to come to an understanding of this. All of us here on this forum, whether we have an existing 2-door body style car or not, are more in the know because of our enthusiasm. I wish Ford had really enrolled more of the existing customer base in the sudden transition. I understand that might not be possible without worry about keeping things confidential, but perhaps it would have helped some. Or maybe not...

For me currently, I now say the Mustang has a 2-door body style in coupe and convertible form and a 4-door body style in SUV form. As a side note, I think it's a crossover in size, so I actually would have liked Ford to say your Mustang can come in 3 flavors - coupe, convertible, crossover!
My six year also said the same thing. "That's not a Mustang! How's that a Mustang?"

He's only six and needed to be recalibrated, so I can see your pain dealing with adults LOL.

It is what Ford say it is. There'll be people objecting but to what end? Are they going to walk away from the Ford brand? If that is what they'll do then all the passion they're voicing for the "preservation" of Mustang's heritage is fake.

Sometimes you need to take to give, and give to take.. Ford needs the equity in its Mustang branding and it is taking from it launch a new, pivotal platform. In return they've given a package that remains true to the name, because, well, it is Ford that did it and I'm proud of what they've done.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
My six year also said the same thing. "That's not a Mustang! How's that a Mustang?"

He's only six and needed to be recalibrated, so I can see your pain dealing with adults LOL.

It is what Ford say it is. There'll be people objecting but to what end? Are they going to walk away from the Ford brand? If that is what they'll do then all the passion they're voicing for the "preservation" of Mustang's heritage is fake.

Sometimes you need to take to give, and give to take.. Ford needs the equity in its Mustang branding and it is taking from it launch a new, pivotal platform. In return they've given a package that remains true to the name, because, well, it is Ford that did it and I'm proud of what they've done.
If Ford had applied this logic in 1964 1/2, then there wouldn't be a Mustang, it would have been a Falcon or a Fairlane. Ford has launched new model names all the time through out their history. It is necessary to avoid confusion. I think this time it might be for a different reason within the Ford organization, or maybe they just wanted to decorate it with the Mustang cues.

Tony Alonso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Country flag
Mustang has a wonderful connotation of an excellent image and brand.

Sharing that in the new SPORTS CUV EV makes perfect business sense.
This is what is in dispute, right? It makes "business sense" but does it make "customer sense" since they are the ones who a) advocate for your business, and b) possibly even generate the sales.

One thing I sometimes don't think about is how people outside of North America connect to this vehicle. I have seen some reaction that is similar to people I personally know here in the States. I halve also seen some be excited about the extension of Mustang to a different body style vehicle too.

If this new ev fails in the marketplace ford is in deep shit. Ford has billions invested. Ford needs this mach E to be a success.
With this I agree. This is a turning point for Ford, more so than with the other EVs they done in the past number of years.

Using the mustang heritage is a smart and prudent move.
If you believe the reactions now, one might say it is not. There's a lot of people struggling with a change in the "brand identity", which now causes them to say that heritage no longer matters because of this drastic change.

Just imagine this is 1964 1/2 ford needs this new EV to be a hit.

I believe it is.
At that time, the marketplace was for a "youth car". Now, the marketplace seems to be for NOT a "youth car", at least the way a SUV (I think it's a CUV, by the way), is interpreted.

I see you own a Corvette Z51. If a different body style vehicle was introduced as a Corvette, what would your reaction be? You likely have seen this rendering. It looks attractive. I could forsee very similar reactions by long-time Corvette owners as we see with this vehicle if someone identified this as new Corvette variant.

Corvette CUV.jpg

Tony Alonso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Country flag
Is it fake or disrupted? The "heritage" as thought of by many is "2-door" with sportiness and an aspirational vehicle. This body style is significantly different because of "4-door". For me personally, when I see the old prototypes from the '60s of a station wagon and 4-door, it's a bit easier to say it's in the heritage. That's somewhat like the Corvette's case when switching to the mid-engined architecture, although there were more concepts over its time in the market.

Yes, this is a give-and-take situation for Ford's long-term viability as a money-making enterprise. I need to see this vehicle in person to get an idea of its look and proportions, but right now for many, as beautiful as the style is, there are many who don't think it remains true to the name because of the body style change and what it implies in people's minds (at least in this market) - a "soccer mom" vehicle.

Please don't interpret my comments as being argumentative and trying to disrespect anyone who loves this vehicle already and can't wait to get it. I think it is a compelling package that can stand on its own merits. And I believe it's important for Ford to get this right from the get-go. And I have been looking at how I would fit one of these into my life for sure!

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is what is in dispute, right? It makes "business sense" but does it make "customer sense" since they are the ones who a) advocate for your business, and b) possibly even generate the sales.

One thing I sometimes don't think about is how people outside of North America connect to this vehicle. I have seen some reaction that is similar to people I personally know here in the States. I halve also seen some be excited about the extension of Mustang to a different body style vehicle too.

With this I agree. This is a turning point for Ford, more so than with the other EVs they done in the past number of years.

If you believe the reactions now, one might say it is not. There's a lot of people struggling with a change in the "brand identity", which now causes them to say that heritage no longer matters because of this drastic change.

At that time, the marketplace was for a "youth car". Now, the marketplace seems to be for NOT a "youth car", at least the way a SUV (I think it's a CUV, by the way), is interpreted.

I see you own a Corvette Z51. If a different body style vehicle was introduced as a Corvette, what would your reaction be? You likely have seen this rendering. It looks attractive. I could forsee very similar reactions by long-time Corvette owners as we see with this vehicle if someone identified this as new Corvette variant.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mustang name Corvette CUV
That picture looks like a Porsche Urus, lol.