My 2023 doesn’t appear to have a plug for the frunk?

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Two reasons there isn't a plug IMO.

1) The liquid in the frunk, if any, can safely drain through the drain, it doesn't need to be controlled.

2) Driving with a frunk full of liquid isn't a good idea. Using it as a cooler is also not a good idea, because it's simply uninsulated plastic and the ice melts quickly. The main purpose for the drain is the ability to wash it out.
the ice doesn’t melt that quickly. I’ve had it last over 30 hours in august the frunk lid /hood is actually quite well insulated and the frunk walls are a hell if a lot thicker than your average cooler - it’s like a foot from the inside of frunk to side of car
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
the ice doesn’t melt that quickly. I’ve had it last over 30 hours in august the frunk lid /hood is actually quite well insulated and the frunk walls are a hell if a lot thicker than your average cooler - it’s like a foot from the inside of frunk to side of car
The frunk walls are like 1/4 or 3/8" thick. The metal hood is not insulated at all. You are measuring the car from the frunk to the fender?

The frunk is a thin plastic tub with cooling lines running along the back that create a warm area. Numerous threads about ice melting much quicker than a cooler.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
A little late to the party (as usual) and probably a little off topic, but looking at the OP's first photo, am I correct in assuming that Ford stopped putting that ridiculous divider in the frunk? I don't see the mount points for the various panels. (yes, I have already removed mine; one of the first things I did)

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
A little late to the party (as usual) and probably a little off topic, but looking at the OP's first photo, am I correct in assuming that Ford stopped putting that ridiculous divider in the frunk? I don't see the mount points for the various panels. (yes, I have already removed mine; one of the first things I did)
Yes, they quit putting the divider in when they finally got the interior trunk release button to work. It was a safety device meant to keep a kid from being stuck in the trunk cleverly disguised as an organization divider.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
They stopped doing that about a year and a half ago.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
A great example of a feature that some like and some don't.

We had a 2021 with it. When we got our 2022, I debated modifying the frunk for it. Instead, I swapped frunks. I do not use the frunk daily as some do. I use it to store fire extinguisher, winter shovel, blanket, jumper cables, extension cord for traveling, etc.

One modification that I did, per another thread here, was to modify the middle panel to make it removable, which makes 3 compartments instead of 4. I could remove all the dividers in about 2 minutes if I had reason to.

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The frunk walls are like 1/4 or 3/8" thick. The metal hood is not insulated at all. You are measuring the car from the frunk to the fender?

The frunk is a thin plastic tub with cooling lines running along the back that create a warm area. Numerous threads about ice melting much quicker than a cooler.
I’m measuring from where you put ice, to wear the sun hits. The same as a cooler wall. You’re measuring the plastic then ignoring the space- which is insulation. Exactly like double glazing. You don’t measure the glass thickness. You measure the glass and the air space and the next piece of glass.

lol you speak of threads like they’re empirical proof. YMMV

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I’m measuring from where you put ice, to wear the sun hits. The same as a cooler wall. You’re measuring the plastic then ignoring the space- which is insulation. Exactly like double glazing. You don’t measure the glass thickness. You measure the glass and the air space and the next piece of glass.
<SNIP>
The part forgotten here is that the space between the panes in a double pane window is sealed to prevent unwanted movement of gas. Yes, air insulates better than the plastic does due to a lower coefficient of thermal transmission, but only if its movement is restricted. The problem is that air moves more freely than plastic because it is fluid, so it can move thermal energy more freely (which is why fans are often used to move air as a cooling or heating medium). 🤔🐩

The other issue is that there are coolant lines running in very close proximity to the lower back wall of the frunk tub. The radiated heat (and, I suspect conducted in the case of some cars) from these lines does measurably change the local temperature of that portion of the rear wall. This is not an issue if the car is not running, but if the car is running it might be an issue. I thought about adding insulation to the frunk tub, but once I had it apart and surveyed, it became clear that while some areas could be modified, there is not enough clearance between the coolant lines and the frunk tub. 🤷‍♂️🐩

larryk

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium on order
Country flag
So my 2023 Premium just delivered June 2, 2023 (built April 17) has a slightly different frunk tub. There are two drain slots now, one on either side. Also some kind of accessory slots at the top on either side.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My 2023 doesn’t appear to have a plug for the frunk? 20230606_121003

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Two reasons there isn't a plug IMO.

1) The liquid in the frunk, if any, can safely drain through the drain, it doesn't need to be controlled.

2) Driving with a frunk full of liquid isn't a good idea. Using it as a cooler is also not a good idea, because it's simply uninsulated plastic and the ice melts quickly. The main purpose for the drain is the ability to wash it out.
But I use the sloshing as an ersatz aerator for the koi! I definitely don’t want them choking on exhaust fumes from the motors 😀😀😀

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So my 2023 Premium just delivered June 2, 2023 (built April 17) has a slightly different frunk tub. There are two drain slots now, one on either side. Also some kind of accessory slots at the top on either side.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My 2023 doesn’t appear to have a plug for the frunk? 20230606_121003
Well, THAT’S a stupid design! The drains aren’t at the lowest part of the frunk 🙄 that decision must have been made by the same idiot who forgot to put the frunk release in FordPass!

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Well, THAT’S a stupid design! The drains aren’t at the lowest part of the frunk 🙄 that decision must have been made by the same idiot who forgot to put the frunk release in FordPass!
Huh? The drainage holes are in the lowest part of the frunk.
Sponsored