rjake5

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Ordered May 10th Space White GT w/ Ford Co-pilot 360. E-mail from Ford Sept. 30th that my car had been produced and was awaiting shipping. I used the tools I found on the forum to track and found that it made it off the train and onto a truck around October 2nd. The Ford website showed a delivery date of October 28th through November 1st. I made all of my preparations to be ready to take delivery. On Thursday October 18th I received a call from my dealer that my car showed up the evening before and it could be ready for delivery that afternoon. I was super excited and took the afternoon off.
Get to the dealer and it was up front and looked incredible. Dealer tossed me the keys and I jump in for a long awaited 1st drive. Pull out of the dealership and mash the accelerator and it starts bucking like a mustang. Feels like power would cut out for second and then come back. if i was super slow and deliberate with the power it would accelerate fine, but as long as you applied more that 1/4 acceleration it would buck. Dejected we head back to the dealer. He is Skeptical of my story and we hop in together and the same Result. Back to the service dept. where the get it to show a diagnostic code and I am told it may be a sensor on the differential. I am sent home because they need Ford to advise on next steps. Next morning I get a prompt update that it is having all software updates installed and that should fix the problem. Well it did not and by that evening the diagnosis is possibly a bad front motor. I head into the dealer the next day to discuss my options. As of today my dealer is checking with Ford to see if they can expedite a new order since they don’t have a fix and I am not taking delivery of a new car that has already had a motor replaced. Hopefully Ford will step up and get my new order expedited and I can get a car this year!
Sponsored

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I say it's a horror

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am not taking delivery of a new car that has already had a motor replaced.
I am curious: you don't want a car with a new motor? What difference does it make to you? No criticism intended, just wondering what I am missing from this story?

Sorry to hear about your delivery difficulties. It does show the importance of a test drive before signing!! Thanks for making that critical point.

OP
OP
rjake5

rjake5

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I was wondering the same thing about Quality control. It had 22 miles on it when I got there and dealer said it was only driven by them from delivery area to showroom. That is less than a mile.

OP
OP
rjake5

rjake5

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I considered taking it if the fix was a motor swap, but the bad motor is not confirmed and a Car taken apart in a service bay will Never be the same as one from the factory.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This is unfortunate, but I’m not sure there is enough time left in the year for Ford to reschedule you and get it to you this year, even if they prioritize you. I believe by around this time last year, Ford had begun assigning build dates, and the earliest build dates came a month or so later, i.e. in late-November 2020.

Aside from a couple of cars Ford was determined to deliver before 2020 was out to meet their deadline (they took special shipping measures), customer cars which were first given build dates for November 2020 in October 2020 did not start to deliver until the end of January 2021 for handful of people and February 2021 for most others.

If I were in your shoes, I’d start looking at dealerships online everywhere to see if you can find a similar vehicle without markup if it is important to get it ASAP, particularly before the year is out.

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
im confused as to why you wouldnt want the vehicle? if its fixed whats the issue? "A car taken apart in a bay is not the same" is a load. if thats the case every mfg would have returned cars. expecting a car to be perfect, let alone model year 1 is insane to me. ....but hey to each their own. Good luck getting another one in a timely manner.. (i dont see that happening at all)..

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
im confused as to why you wouldnt want the vehicle? if its fixed whats the issue? "A car taken apart in a bay is not the same" is a load. if thats the case every mfg would have returned cars. expecting a car to be perfect, let alone model year 1 is insane to me. ....but hey to each their own. Good luck getting another one in a timely manner.. (i dont see that happening at all)..
I suffer from the same thought process. I refused delivery on my 2017 F350 because they had to take the dash apart to fix some stupid thing. I did get another with more options for the same money though so it worked out for me :)

secretvampire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Dark Matter Gray MME GT
Country flag
I suffer from the same thought process. I refused delivery on my 2017 F350 because they had to take the dash apart to fix some stupid thing. I did get another with more options for the same money though so it worked out for me :)
Unfortunately, people had a looottttt more options when it came to this kind of thing pre-Covid. Now they'll just sell it to someone else you are waiting another 6+ months for the next one. Can't just pick one of the other 30 sitting on the lot like you could with a F150. Hell, even for F150's the dealers likely only have a couple in stock these days!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I dunno, I think it depends. Some people with the screen buzzing issue who got their driver display replaced have had all sorts of other weird problems crop up.

I guess it depends on how complex a thing it is to swap out a motor and how invasive it is to the vehicle to even reach the motor.

Sure, the motor itself is probably expensive but I would or would not be comfortable with this based upon how much the car has to be disassembled by the service department in order to do it.

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
I dunno, I think it depends. Some people with the screen buzzing issue who got their driver display replaced have had all sorts of other weird problems crop up.

I guess it depends on how complex a thing it is to swap out a motor and how invasive it is to the vehicle to even reach the motor.

Sure, the motor itself is probably expensive but I would or would not be comfortable with this based upon how much the car has to be disassembled by the service department in order to do it.
to each their own I suppose. I know many GT350/GT500 owners that would fully accept an engine replacement and roll on about their miles had something happened to their vehicle. early 350 5.2 rods liked to play peekaboo and quite a few were replaced (also, refer back to 1969 Boss 302s for similar issue, its rare to find one with the orignal non replacement engine)

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
what a heartbreaker. I'm not sure what I'd do, first blush I'd say let them replace the motor if that is indeed the cause, and if sorted then buy it. As others said otherwise you'll probably be looking at several months.
Sponsored