MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
A lot less GT owners on this forum than those with lower MME trims and I wanted to provide my OTA experience to those GT owners wondering "when" things might happen for them. Here's some updated timing figures on my Job 2 2021 GT, for those trying to figure out their own timing. I am NOT in early access.

1. I got my paper recall notice in the mail on July 15.
  2. I received FordPass update 4.18.0 on iOS on July 15.
  3. I received 2.8.2 OTA on July 15. After which, schedulupdate times don’t stick. I was surprised I didn’t have this update already.
  4. I first saw a recall notice in the FordPass app on July 16. It was also now showing my recall on Ford.com on this date. Prior to that it didn’t show I had a recall in either location.
    1. When the notice first showed up in the app, the website it takes you to still didn’t show I had an active recall.
  5. I received Priority Update 22-PU0601-SRV-RC July 19 OTA. After which some of my settings were reset. Particularly in the connectivity screen.
    1. At this point I noted I was on Sync version is 21180_PRODUCT Revision: 176.
    2. Having now messed with the car a bit more I see settings on ambient lighting were reset. Bluetooth was turned on instead of App Mirroring (seems like you can't have both, never understood why). I use wireless Carplay so this is opposite of what it was before.
    3. The car also didn't detect me and load my profile using PAAK, as it normally does.
  6. I had an appointment to receive recall updates on July 21. The update took half a day and I received my car back by the afternoon. Both the retrieval paperwork as well as @WyldStallyn confirmed that my modules were actually updated for the recalls.
  7. On July 22 I received 2.8.3 OTA. Just 3 days after my last OTA update (which was 4 days after the one before it).
    1. Connectivity settings were broken again and had to reset the connection with CarPlay to get it working.
    2. Drive mode settings were not the last I used.
    3. Walk away locking seems to have a much further range I have to be outside of before it will lock (easy to test since I always park in the same spot). Sometimes it doesn't work at all, and before this update it was 100% reliable for me.
    4. Any "ask on exit" setting seems to have been reset to default
    5. I got the Blocks and Tiles games
    6. I got the Apple Maps "EV Maps" connectivity. Which I haven't played with a lot, but I ran a couple of long routes and it seems AWESOME.
    7. I got multi-day update scheduling
    8. Car charges above 90% even though I confirmed my settings were correct for home charging to stop at 90%.
    9. FordPass app shows the wrong state of charge and doesn’t update at all anymore.
  8. As of July 23 (2 days after my recall update at the dealership), both the Ford recall site and the NHTSA have cleared my recall status and I show no active recalls. This also cleared in FordPass.
Overall the process has gone "ok" for me in terms of a "mid-July" delivery. But I had to get the recall done at a shop since I didn't want to take a long drive without it with kids in the car. I've received 3 OTA updates over the course of a week. But it's pretty wild to me that these updates were all given to Job 1 cars way back in May.

Questions:
  1. Does anyone have a better description of what 2.8.3 has in it besides this and what I discovered on my own? I've been told there weren't many user-facing changes other than the multi-day scheduling, but that's clearly not true. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power-Up_Version_History
  2. Also, what is the Ford Power Up version number for the one that deploys the recall updates OTA that some of you have received? The above link does not list a version number.
Lastly, I'll try to keep this thread updated as I expect now that they are "catching up" on updates to many vehicles, the recall update won't be too far behind the others. Hang in there GT owners!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A lot less GT owners on this forum than those with lower MME trims and I wanted to provide my OTA experience to those GT owners wondering "when" things might happen for them. Here's some updated timing figures on my Job 2 2021 GT, for those trying to figure out their own timing. I am NOT in early access.

1. I got my paper recall notice in the mail on July 15.
  2. I received FordPass update 4.18.0 on iOS on July 15.
  3. I received 2.8.2 OTA on July 15. After which, schedulupdate times don’t stick. I was surprised I didn’t have this update already.
  4. I first saw a recall notice in the FordPass app on July 16. It was also now showing my recall on Ford.com on this date. Prior to that it didn’t show I had a recall in either location.
    1. When the notice first showed up in the app, the website it takes you to still didn’t show I had an active recall.
  5. I received Priority Update 22-PU0601-SRV-RC July 19 OTA. After which some of my settings were reset. Particularly in the connectivity screen.
    1. At this point I noted I was on Sync version is 21180_PRODUCT Revision: 176.
    2. Having now messed with the car a bit more I see settings on ambient lighting were reset. Bluetooth was turned on instead of App Mirroring (seems like you can't have both, never understood why). I use wireless Carplay so this is opposite of what it was before.
    3. The car also didn't detect me and load my profile using PAAK, as it normally does.
  6. I had an appointment to receive recall updates on July 21. The update took half a day and I received my car back by the afternoon. Both the retrieval paperwork as well as @WyldStallyn confirmed that my modules were actually updated for the recalls.
  7. On July 22 I received 2.8.3 OTA. Just 3 days after my last OTA update (which was 4 days after the one before it).
    1. Connectivity settings were broken again and had to reset the connection with CarPlay to get it working.
    2. Drive mode settings were not the last I used.
    3. Walk away locking seems to have a much further range I have to be outside of before it will lock (easy to test since I always park in the same spot).
    4. Any "ask on exit" setting seems to have been reset to default
    5. I got the Blocks and Tiles games
    6. I got the Apple Maps "EV Maps" connectivity. Which I haven't played with a lot, but I ran a couple of long routes and it seems AWESOME.
    7. I got multi-day update scheduling
  8. As of July 23 (2 days after my recall update at the dealership), both the Ford recall site and the NHTSA have cleared my recall status and I show no active recalls. This also cleared in FordPass.
Overall the process has gone "ok" for me in terms of a "mid-July" delivery. But I had to get the recall done at a shop since I didn't want to take a long drive without it with kids in the car. I've received 3 OTA updates over the course of a week. But it's pretty wild to me that these updates were all given to Job 1 cars way back in May.

Questions:
  1. Does anyone have a better description of what 2.8.3 has in it besides this and what I discovered on my own? I've been told there weren't many user-facing changes other than the multi-day scheduling, but that's clearly not true. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power-Up_Version_History
  2. Also, what is the Ford Power Up version number for the one that deploys the recall updates OTA that some of you have received? The above link does not list a version number.
Lastly, I'll try to keep this thread updated as I expect now that they are "catching up" on updates to many vehicles, the recall update won't be too far behind the others. Hang in there GT owners!
Got the update that included the games but didn't really see anything different.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I haven't got 2.8.3 yet, but have had a similar change in settings to what you describe, and haven't got the recall OTA or any lock with two different dealers since the server down issue basically messed my account up after the first dealer tried to apply it and failed but charged Ford anyway and now Ford says tough luck and won't help apply it.

but yes, carplay/bluetooth problem, and no Paak access when car is locked problem. fun..

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
2.8.2, and the 22-PU0601-SRV-RC update were for the GWM, which is the main gateway that connects all the modules and handles the OTA updates. 2.8.3 was a new Sync version, that adds the scheduling options for OTA updates per day instead of just a single time. This update is required to be able to get the recall updates OTA as they have to be scheduled with the vehicle inaccessible while they are installing.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
2.8.2, and the 22-PU0601-SRV-RC update were for the GWM, which is the main gateway that connects all the modules and handles the OTA updates. 2.8.3 was a new Sync version, that adds the scheduling options for OTA updates per day instead of just a single time. This update is required to be able to get the recall updates OTA as they have to be scheduled with the vehicle inaccessible while they are installing.
So if I have it set to auto, it will never apply the recall update?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I don't believe so. The version of sync that came with the car, doesn't have the required scheduling to handle the inhibit part. So you'll likely see the 2.8.2 and 2.8.3 updates and then recall updates on Job 2 cars.

OP
OP
MachEnthusiast

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
That's a different setting. Auto is if it's going to install without manual intervention or not. The scheduled updates is the setting below that. It selects a time you're comfortable having the car not drivable. This is for updating modules that would not be able to be updated while driving, like the recall updates. By default I think every car has a scheduled time of inaccessibility at like Thursday at 1am.

With 2.8.3 you can set updates like this one to install any day, instead of just one day. Not every update needs the car to be not in use to install. 2.8.3, since it is APIM only, I believe can be installed and still allows you to drive the car.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I wonder if it will at least let me know what it needs when it's time. I like to keep mine on auto for the few things that it does deliver. It seems to be delivering these minor updates with a several day period between each one. The automotive updating system seems kinda archaic compared to the rest of technology.

OP
OP
MachEnthusiast

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
I wonder if it will at least let me know what it needs when it's time. I like to keep mine on auto for the few things that it does deliver. It seems to be delivering these minor updates with a several day period between each one. The automotive updating system seems kinda archaic compared to the rest of technology.
That's definitely how the rest of this forum seems to think about it.

And yes, if you have an update that will need to install with the vehicle parked and shut off, it shows a little download arrow icon in the top-left of your sync screen. Letting you know an update will install during your next scheduled install period. Like I said, the default seems to be Thursday at 1am local time. You can change this to any other single date and time. OR you can pick multiple days if you have 2.8.3 installed.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
That's definitely how the rest of this forum seems to think about it.

And yes, if you have an update that will need to install with the vehicle parked and shut off, it shows a little download arrow icon in the top-left of your sync screen. Letting you know an update will install during your next scheduled install period. Like I said, the default seems to be Thursday at 1am local time. You can change this to any other single date and time. OR you can pick multiple days if you have 2.8.3 installed.
Excellent! I got 2.8.2 last week and Priority Update 22-PU0601-SRV-RC today. I have a download icon and the install time is set to 1:00 a.m. tomorrow. I'm glad to see the OTA updates coming in now, finally...

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the update dealer recall update done and then I got a another update today.

GrayWolf

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT (Star White Metallic)
Country flag
Excellent! I got 2.8.2 last week and Priority Update 22-PU0601-SRV-RC today. I have a download icon and the install time is set to 1:00 a.m. tomorrow. I'm glad to see the OTA updates coming in now, finally...
I'm in the same boat as you, with my 2021 GT. It recently received the 2.8.2 (last week, around Wednesday I believe), 22-PU0601-SRV-RC (a few days ago) and now 2.8.3 (today).

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
283 yesterday on my GT. Seems like they way 3-5 days bewteen updates when there are more than one out there. So I wonder how long till the recall update shows up. Since Ford shows a dealer chraged for it even though it didn't get done, I hope the OTA will still go in for the recall.

GrayWolf

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT (Star White Metallic)
Country flag
Since Ford shows a dealer chraged for it even though it didn't get done, I hope the OTA will still go in for the recall.
I took my car to a dealership to have the 21P22 charge curve and recall updates applied. Took roughly 4 hours, all told. It does seem odd that a dealership would mark your car as updated but somehow did not apply it. Seems fishy/sketchy.

OP
OP
MachEnthusiast

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
I took my car to a dealership to have the 21P22 charge curve and recall updates applied. Took roughly 4 hours, all told. It does seem odd that a dealership would mark your car as updated but somehow did not apply it. Seems fishy/sketchy.
There was a big discussion about this on the forum. For a period of time FDRS did not have access to the recall due to some central server issue. Some people were receiving their vehicles back without them being updated but told differently.

To be clear, if you got the recall installed by a dealer your car won’t tell you that. It isn’t listed in the updates section if done this way. The only way to know for sure if you got it is to check in FDRS. Somebody like @WyldStallyn or @DevSecOps can do this for you.
Sponsored