Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I’ve now either received two mystery updates or the one mystery update twice. Since not numbered, I can’t tell which.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mystery update video 2374E0EE-52B4-4FC9-9D06-90DB562ED2C4

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mystery update video 148A5913-3E79-4553-9C03-3093146F7DC4

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mystery update video 9E253242-2BE9-48A5-80F0-8D8D2A1E3255

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I’ve now either received two mystery updates or the one mystery update twice. Since not numbered, I can’t tell which.

Also your screen went sideways and upside down.

Go ahead and restart SYNC from your steering wheel to correct. ?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Move along folks. Nothing to see here. Many of us have gotten either one or two of these “mystery updates”. It seems the “smart money” is on a “smoke test” Ford is doing for some reason. Remember, they’re finally getting ready for some updates, including BlueCruise for Job 1.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
2 for me as well ?‍♂

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I had my second two days ago. The dned car is teasing me. I'm at 1.7.1 and it's pretty frustrating that my system isn't getting updated faster.

I sure hope Ford has learned a lot with the Mach-E OTA mess. I'd hate for more buyers to have to go through what we've gone through.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Move along folks. Nothing to see here. Many of us have gotten either one or two of these “mystery updates”. It seems the “smart money” is on a “smoke test” Ford is doing for some reason. Remember, they’re finally getting ready for some updates, including BlueCruise for Job 1.
Smoke testing is close. I learned from an inside source that these mystery check marks resulted from something that both was and was not an actual update. Update 2.3.0 didn't load it's release notes correctly into memory. Subsequently, the Ford server pinged the cars to see if internal databases had been set correctly during a prior update and reset them if needed. The car saw these as updates and either identified them as the prior update (2.1.0) or no update at all, “up to date”. Both of these things have been fixed since. Thus none since 2.4.1.

It really just goes to show how may complexities there are in these OTAs. I can tell you I'll certainly take a phantom checkmark over a bricked car. Ford is learning as they do these OTAs. The nice monthly schedule they seem to have settled into shows the PowerUp system is maturing nicely.

Now when do I get 3.5.2 and BlueCruise???? (Oh, right. See monthly comment above.)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Smoke testing is close. I learned from an inside source that these mystery check marks resulted from something that both was and was not an actual update. Update 2.3.0 didn't load it's release notes correctly into memory. Subsequently, the Ford server pinged the cars to see if internal databases had been set correctly during a prior update and reset them if needed. The car saw these as updates and either identified them as the prior update (2.1.0) or no update at all, “up to date”. Both of these things have been fixed since. Thus none since 2.4.1.

It really just goes to show how may complexities there are in these OTAs. I can tell you I'll certainly take a phantom checkmark over a bricked car. Ford is learning as they do these OTAs. The nice monthly schedule they seem to have settled into shows the PowerUp system is maturing nicely.

Now when do I get 3.5.2 and BlueCruise???? (Oh, right. See monthly comment above.)
Thank you! It’s nice to know that I’m not going crazy and something really DID happen ? now, if we could just decipher the fields and dates in the OTA info provided by Fordpass Widget, we’d be set! ?

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I heard something really similar to what Mark said. No cause for concern...just an itchy trigger finger on the update notifications. :)

Software is messy; there's just no way around that. I think we're definitely seeing Ford hone-in on the OTA process. We keep comparing them to Tesla, but Tesla's been doing this for a decade, and they still have issues on occasion. Considering how young Ford's effort is, honestly I give them credit where it's due.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

That makes sense. I figured it was Ford running a test, perhaps tweaking a background database in a minor manner, or simply checking up on things. Good to have confirmation everything is really on track.

Getting up and running with OTAs is a little like my recovery from my knee replacement surgery; it’s not an event, it’s a process.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

This aligns with the info I am hearing from my channels as well. I don't really understand the nuts and bolts but to my ears it sounded like the cars received an update status inquiry from the cloud and that triggered the phantom update messages that some of us observed in the car. It stands to reason the OTA process would include a pre-delivery check with the car to make sure it is ready to receive the package. That sounds like a good practice to me (if that is actually what is happening...)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I still think Ford should issue all of the stealth update people T-shirts with the stylized MME and the slogan “I got it 3 Times” though. ;)
Sponsored